+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa or work permit for my wife?

neo-mashiro

Jul 28, 2019
Hey guys! I'm living in Canada on a PGWP which is valid until 2025. I started working at Netflix in August 2022, and just recently got married in January 2023 (I went back to China during the holiday break and got married there). My wife is still in China but I want her to come stay with me asap (I will sponsor her with my salary), so I'm looking for advice on how to get her a visitor visa properly.

Initially I thought this is quite simple until I learned so many failed cases. The problem is that, I'm also going to apply for PR around October this year (so that I have 1 year of Canada work experience and enough score for EE), I wonder if my wife should apply for the visitor visa right now or wait until I submit my PR application first, or even worse, wait until my PR application is approved, what's the difference between these 3 options? Also, I've heard many people saying that spouses are less likely to be denied if they apply for an open work permit instead of visitor visa, is that really true?

Obviously I love Canada and would like to become a permanent resident eventually, but my wife and I have already been separated for 3 years due to COVID, I really don't want to wait another 2 years for us to reunite.

Thanks! :)

neo-mashiro

Jul 28, 2019
To summarize, among all the options I have:
  1. ask my wife to apply for a visitor visa right away
  2. ask my wife to apply for an open work permit right away
  3. ask my wife to wait, then I will apply for PR later this year and include her in my PR application
Option "1" seems to be a very risky choice and is more likely to be rejected.
Option "2" is a little bit safer, I personally think this is the best for me. However, I'm not sure how this is going to affect my PR application later on.
Option "3" is the safest, but my wife and I have to be separated for another 1-2 years.

I'd appreciate if you guys have any suggestions. Thanks.

Alex_xelA

Feb 16, 2023
To summarize, among all the options I have:
  1. ask my wife to apply for a visitor visa right away
  2. ask my wife to apply for an open work permit right away
  3. ask my wife to wait, then I will apply for PR later this year and include her in my PR application
Option "1" seems to be a very risky choice and is more likely to be rejected.
Option "2" is a little bit safer, I personally think this is the best for me. However, I'm not sure how this is going to affect my PR application later on.
Option "3" is the safest, but my wife and I have to be separated for another 1-2 years.

I'd appreciate if you guys have any suggestions. Thanks.
I also come from China. I would go for option 3.