+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa- No Stamp on entry was given

ivyting0124

Jul 5, 2017
British Columbia
Hi everyone, this is my first time here so hOpe I can receive some answer from you guys. I am holding multiple entry visitor visa till 2021. I entered Canada via Vancouver airport last 22 Dec 2016 to spend Christmas with my fiance family. They gave me a stamp with the date of entry. I left the country on 5th of Jan 2017 (3 weeks later). This time I came via Vancouver airport again on the 10th of May 2017, since my Malaysia passport doesn't work on the new automated border clearance kiosks, I went to the border officer. However, this time I didn't receive any stamp. I assumed since it is the new system, they don't do stamp anymore and everything will just be online like Australia.
However, just few days ago, someone suggest to me I should double check with the immigration/border agency as the reason they didn't give me a stamp was because I was still under the "6 months stay limit " from back in Dec 2016 when I came in last time?! If that's the case, is that mean I overstay now as it would be due by June?
I am so confused as I thought I would receive new "stay period" each time I enter the country?

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
Hi everyone, this is my first time here so hOpe I can receive some answer from you guys. I am holding multiple entry visitor visa till 2021. I entered Canada via Vancouver airport last 22 Dec 2016 to spend Christmas with my fiance family. They gave me a stamp with the date of entry. I left the country on 5th of Jan 2017 (3 weeks later). This time I came via Vancouver airport again on the 10th of May 2017, since my Malaysia passport doesn't work on the new automated border clearance kiosks, I went to the border officer. However, this time I didn't receive any stamp. I assumed since it is the new system, they don't do stamp anymore and everything will just be online like Australia.
However, just few days ago, someone suggest to me I should double check with the immigration/border agency as the reason they didn't give me a stamp was because I was still under the "6 months stay limit " from back in Dec 2016 when I came in last time?! If that's the case, is that mean I overstay now as it would be due by June?
I am so confused as I thought I would receive new "stay period" each time I enter the country?
If no stamp was put in the passport on entry, it means that your first entry to Canada was honored.

That said it strikes me as odd that you didn't get a stamp, you left in an international flight with several weeks in between to your comeback. So you should give a call to CIC to see what they say.

Reactions: ivyting0124

ivyting0124

Jul 5, 2017
British Columbia
If no stamp was put in the passport on entry, it means that your first entry to Canada was honored.

That said it strikes me as odd that you didn't get a stamp, you left in an international flight with several weeks in between to your comeback. So you should give a call to CIC to see what they say.
Okay, should I call the CIC or the Canada Border Services Angency (CBSA)?

ivyting0124

Jul 5, 2017
British Columbia
I called the IRCC number, however, they are experiencing high volume of calls so they couldn't transfer me and said I can call back later. On the other hand, while listening to the options, they did provide information regarding if there is no date or special instruction given while I enter the country, I can just assume that I can stay for 6 months on the day of my entry in Canada?
In that case, will my entry day be 10 May 2017 ( this time) or 22 Dec 2016 ( My previous entry date).

Ps: Also, I did tell them when I entered in May that I will be staying for about 3 months, if my first stamp of entry back in Dec was honored, wouldn't they pick that up that I will be overstay past June?

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
I called the IRCC number, however, they are experiencing high volume of calls so they couldn't transfer me and said I can call back later. On the other hand, while listening to the options, they did provide information regarding if there is no date or special instruction given while I enter the country, I can just assume that I can stay for 6 months on the day of my entry in Canada?
In that case, will my entry day be 10 May 2017 ( this time) or 22 Dec 2016 ( My previous entry date).
It is the one annotated in your passport stamp.

Ps: Also, I did tell them when I entered in May that I will be staying for about 3 months, if my first stamp of entry back in Dec was honored, wouldn't they pick that up that I will be overstay past June?
This doesn't matter. It is your responsibility to comply with dates, if they made a mistake then you are expected to catch it and act accordingly.

Together

Star Member
Jul 5, 2017
I entered Canada via Vancouver airport last 22 Dec 2016 to spend Christmas with my fiance family. They gave me a stamp with the date of entry.
So, they didn't put any date under the stamp? Was it your first visit to Canada? What did you state as a purpose of visit - spent time with fiance?

ivyting0124

Jul 5, 2017
British Columbia
Alright so I ended up calling the Vancouver airport immigration and border agency and talked to one of the border officer. He clarified to me that my 6 months counted from 10 May 2017 as my last entry to the country. He said that they no longer use stamp anymore as it is all online for them now. "UNLESS they give you a stamp to tell you the date you have to leave, you are authorised to stay for 6 months...."quoted from the officer that spoke with me.

ivyting0124

Jul 5, 2017
British Columbia
So, they didn't put any date under the stamp? Was it your first visit to Canada? What did you state as a purpose of visit - spent time with fiance?
This is my 3rd time entry the country. Yes, purpose is to visit y fiancé family. I didn't get a stamp at all this time which is why I question. But see my reply below as I got my answer.

Together

Star Member
Jul 5, 2017
Thank you. Were there any problems when you first time came to Canada to your fiancé? For how long did they allowed you to stay the very first time you came to your fiancé? I heard, that if you tell that you have relationships in Canada, you entry will probably be denied, as you might wish to stay in Canada.

Alexibra111

Dec 19, 2016
Thank you. Were there any problems when you first time came to Canada to your fiancé? For how long did they allowed you to stay the very first time you came to your fiancé? I heard, that if you tell that you have relationships in Canada, you entry will probably be denied, as you might wish to stay in Canada.
I don't think the probability of being denied entry is high if a person have had a visitor visa granted with good intentions. Canada Immigration are aware that people who are in long distance relationship want to see one another, and no one can be denied entry just because they are in a relationship with someone in Canada.

However, you can be denied if it is discovered that you have other intentions in Canada (work/study), and that you are likely to overstay your visa. This does happen, but that is only because of the visitors dishonesty. If are just a visitor to Canada, then you should have no problem demonstrating that you are a genuine visitor.

Together

Star Member
Jul 5, 2017
It depends. If you say that you want to stay 1-2 weeks then the officer will be probably ok with that. If you say that you want to stay with your fiance for 3 months then they might wonder if you really want to leave Canada at all.

Alexibra111

Dec 19, 2016
It depends. If you say that you want to stay 1-2 weeks then the officer will be probably ok with that. If you say that you want to stay with your fiance for 3 months then they might wonder if you really want to leave Canada at all.
But why would a visitor stay that long in Canada? I don't know many jobs that would grant a three month vacation. A three month visit is too long. Just think about it from the eyes of a border officer. "This person is visiting their SO, and is asking for three months in Canada on a visitor visa...doesn't this person have a job or responsibilities back home?" Then of course they would want to investigate further to determine whether or not this person is a genuine visitor to Canada. I guess if a visitor presents strong evidence that they will return back home after three months, then they have a chance of being granted entry.

Together

Star Member
Jul 5, 2017
I understand their reasoning. I just say that canadian policies do not allow people to live together in Canada before they marry, pushing relationships either to breakdown or to (probably) too fast marriage.
They do not consider an option 'I quit my job to live with my boy/girl-friend and probably marry afterwards'. But in real life this situation is very common.

Together

Star Member
Jul 5, 2017
This is my 3rd time entry the country. Yes, purpose is to visit y fiancé family. I didn't get a stamp at all this time which is why I question. But see my reply below as I got my answer.
ivyting0124, could you please tell us, if at first visits to your fiancé the duration of your stay was limited? You mentioned that it was not at the 3rd and 4th time, but what about the first two visits?

rockytg

Apr 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Jan-2016
Doc's Request.
22-Apr-2016, Additional Doc Request 13-July-2016
Nomination.....
29-July-2016
AOR Received.
31-Aug-2016
Med's Done....
22 August, further tests 18 Sep, 11 Oct Meds passed
Passport Req..
06-Mar-2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 2017
LANDED..........
Jun 2017
ivyting0124, could you please tell us, if at first visits to your fiancé the duration of your stay was limited? You mentioned that it was not at the 3rd and 4th time, but what about the first two visits?

Quote from OP first comment
" I was still under the "6 months stay limit from back in Dec 2016 when I came in last time?"

This might answer your question.