+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa multiple entry looking to travel internationally

Dec 8, 2017
I am currently on a multiple entry visitor visa valid for 10 years and I have applied for an open work permit 2 months ago, still awaiting an update. In the meantime I had to apply for extension of my visitor visa, since you cannot stay more than 6 months on a visitor visa without doing exit and re entry. Since I live here with my brother I just applied here for an extension instead of exiting and re entering. Now my next 6 months will be up May 10th for which I will apply for another extension at that time ( incase my open work permit is still under process). My question is, can I travel to Mexico for vacation in July having applied for an extension by that time? The last time I had applied for an extension it took 4 months for the approval to come. I don't want to be in a situation where I am not allowed to enter Canada on my way back from Mexico because my extension is still under process.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am currently on a multiple entry visitor visa valid for 10 years and I have applied for an open work permit 2 months ago, still awaiting an update. In the meantime I had to apply for extension of my visitor visa, since you cannot stay more than 6 months on a visitor visa without doing exit and re entry. Since I live here with my brother I just applied here for an extension instead of exiting and re entering. Now my next 6 months will be up May 10th for which I will apply for another extension at that time ( incase my open work permit is still under process). My question is, can I travel to Mexico for vacation in July having applied for an extension by that time? The last time I had applied for an extension it took 4 months for the approval to come. I don't want to be in a situation where I am not allowed to enter Canada on my way back from Mexico because my extension is still under process.
Once you leave Canada the extension process is cancelled as extension is for you to stay and not leave Canada. You shouldn’t leave until OWP (assume it is a PGWP) is approved.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The visitor extension will be canceled once you leave Canada for your vacation.

Whether you are allowed back into Canada or not is always up to the CBSA officer, even once your extension is approved.

In my opinion, I would not travel internationally until the open work permit is approved. You are not supposed to live in Canada on a visitor visa. That's not how it is it supposed to be used. However that's what you have been doing by staying in Canada for so long. This increases the risk of issues re-entering Canada. Once the open work permit is approved, you'll have the ability to live in Canada. Leaving before then is going to put you at risk.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Adding , you are aware that just because your visa is valid for 10 years and it’s multiple entry , that you’re not allowed to live in Canada for 10 years ? From the information given as well as your terminology, it appears you’re using the visa to live in Canada . Thats not allowed.
And eventually your extensions or your border hopping of exiting/re-entering to extend will be refused
As well, exactly what type of open work did you apply and are eligible for on your said stay in Canada?
Doesn’t appear you were in school here
You don’t “ live “ in Canada. You’re “ visiting “ Canada.

Your brother had posted this

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/express-entry-without-3-years-international-exp.721797/

Last edited:
Reactions: Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Adding , you are aware that just because your visa is valid for 10 years and it’s multiple entry , that you’re not allowed to live in Canada for 10 years ? From the information given as well as your terminology, it appears you’re using the visa to live in Canada . Thats not allowed.
And eventually your extensions or your border hopping of exiting/re-entering to extend will be refused
As well, exactly what type of open work did you apply and are eligible for on your said stay in Canada?
Doesn’t appear you were in school here
You don’t “ live “ in Canada. You’re “ visiting “ Canada.

Your brother had posted this

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/express-entry-without-3-years-international-exp.721797/
Also how is OP eligible for an open work permit? PGWP?