+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa from India - queries

jkjk11

Star Member
Jul 17, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I would like to visit Canada for couple of months and I have some questions/concerns. I would be grateful if someone can clarify.

I have my uncles and cousins who are Canadian citizens. One of my cousins who is residing in USA (Canadian citizen) would be willing to help me out with any help that I would need. I prefer not to bother my uncles with any kind of favor / paper work. I have traveled to Africa and UAE. Studied in USA for couple of years. All traveling on valid visa (entry & exit).

1) Will I need any invitation letter from my cousin or uncles to visit Canada?
2) Is it okay if my cousin living in USA send me just tickets and hotel booking?
3) At the moment I am unemployed and living with my parent, so what are the chances of being rejected for tourist visa?
4) As for finance - last 6 months bank statement on bank's letterhead is sufficient or do I need to show the property papers (which are not in English)? Do I need to translate and certify those?
5) Will my cousin need to show any financial proofs / bank statements (Canadian bank acc. or American bank acc. would do)?
5) My passport expires in 2017 April. And I plan to apply for visitor visa soon so is it recommended to renew my passport or not?
6) Which one is faster process: Online application or going through an agent to get visa in India?

Please suggest and share your experiences if you have applied for visitor visa from India.
Thanks alot in advance for your time.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

1. It's not necessary to submit an invitation letter. It will help though.

2. It would show you have a weak financial situation.

3. It's difficult to guess your chances.... IMO do NOT apply until you establish stronger ties to India such as employment or enroll for a study program.... work/study for some months before you apply.

4. Both: 6 months' banks statements on the bank stationery + proofs of any other financial investments (FDs, shares/mutual funds, PPF/EPF, LIC, etc)
Do submit your property papers.... translated into English by a certified translator + valuation based on current market rates

5. Only if he wants to provide his financial documents. If your cousin plans to be in the US when you visit then his invitation letter will not help you.

6. The earliest you can apply for passport reissue is 1 year from the expiry date of your current passport.

7. You can prepare the TRV application without using the services of a travel agent. It's your choice to apply online or a paper application

All the best

jkjk11

Star Member
Jul 17, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Bryana,

Thanks a lot for the answers. Truly appreciate this. I do have some more questions at the moment to make it clearer.

1) What kind of information CIC will be looking for in the invitation letter and cover letter? (My cousin also plan to be in Canada when I visit so this information should be included in invitation letter or cover letter?)
2) Will I need return ticket at the time of an application? I want to spend couple of months there, so do I need to mention exact time?
3) Do I need show very specific information about how many weeks I am going to spend in particular place and HOTEL BOOKINGS?
4) To show that my old parent is living with me – his passport showing the same address would be suffice or any other papers such as his bank statements will be needed as well? (He’s retired.)
5) I had gone for medical exam in last 12 months but the medical sheet states “non-EDE worker” for the purpose. Does CIC asks for medical test for visitor visa? If yes, then will my test be any useful? (NOTE: I have not applied for any visa though.)
6) What documents will be needed from my cousin's side? (For example, apartment lease or bank acc. in Canada. My cousin works in USA so he doesn't have any apartment lease on his name. We just plan to travel but if needed then he can go to Canada earlier and lease an apartment.)

Thank you again for your time.

jkjk11

Star Member
Jul 17, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

1) I would like to know that if I apply for multiple entry visa and have only 1 year of validity remaining in my passport then how would it work? Does the multiple entry visa expire with my passport's validity or can I use the visa stamp to enter Canada after renewal of my passport? (My passport is valid until April 2017.)

2) If I state my intended stay for 2 months in application and stay there for more than 2 months then what impacts would be in the future in case I would like to apply for travel or any other visas to CIC?

3) Will I need to go for an interview for tourist visa?

4) Which documents will I have to notarized, eg. invitation letter / cover letter / property docs?

5) One of my parents died couple of years ago, so will it help me to show the death certificate to prove the ties to return to home country to be with my another parent?

6) Am I supposed to buy an insurance and submit it with an application? If not, then at what point insurance comes in?

Thank you again in advance.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

I honestly feel that your chances of getting a TRV are low because you are not working nor studying presently. You can still try nevertheless.

1. Invitation Letter: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/letter.asp

2. No. Submit provisional flight bookings and mention it will be confirmed when the TRV is issued.

3. Yes. A visit of a finite duration with specific dates would show you have thought through the itinerary.... never have open ended plans. If you will stay at your cousin's home then why hotel bookings?

4. You must prove your dad is dependent on you (for example, you pay for his medical expenses, insurance, house expenses, etc) + proofs that he lives with you at the same address. His bank statements are not required..... unless you are financially dependent on him.... then that will make your TRV case even weaker.

5. Medical test is not necessary for a TRV. If CIC wants you to do one then they will let you know later.

6. It depends on what your cousin mentions in his invitation letter.... will he provide accommodation or pay for your living expenses during your visit?

7. MEV.... the visa validity depends on the assessment made by the visa officer. If you are approved for a TRV then it could be issued up to your passport expiry date.

8. 2 months is too long and shows extremely weak ties..... keep your visit to 2-3 weeks max.

9. Do see point 4

10. Insurance: Not necessary but it always gives peace of mind when one is traveling abroad. If you buy insurance then submit a copy of the policy with your TRV application

Cheers

jkjk11

Star Member
Jul 17, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Bryanna,

I truly appreciate for your inputs. Thanks.
I understand when you say that my chances are thin, however I would like to give it a try.
I have some questions though.

1. At the moment my cousin is in USA but will be in Canada if / when I get tourist visa and visiting Canada. So maybe he will be renting an apartment so now my question is that I'm not sure whether I still should show hotel booking or just mention that I will be staying at cousin's place.

2. When you mentioned: "It depends on what your cousin mentions in his invitation letter.... will he provide accommodation or pay for your living expenses during your visit?"
-> I'm able to pay for expenses and also my cousin wouldn't mind paying either for me. He can provide accommodation so what's the best to mention in the invitation letter?

Thank you so much again.