+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa for spouse

ravichs473

Dec 6, 2018
Hi,

Thanks for reading this post.

I am a PR holder currently residing in USA with my spouse and we are planning to move to Canada this year.

I am married to my wife in 2019, after receiving PR and completing landing procedures. Since, my spouse doean’t have PR or any other visa to accompany me to canada, we are applying for a visitor visa.

Below are the questions I have.

1. Do I need to inform IRCC and update my marital status before applying her visitor visa?

2. Are visitor visa applications automatically considered for multiple entries? If not what should we do to apply for a multi entry visa?

3. If we receive multiple entry visitor visa, can she leave and enter canada(in a space of 20-30 days)?

4. Can she apply for open work permit, and then leave canada while it is in process?

Thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

Thanks for reading this post.

I am a PR holder currently residing in USA with my spouse and we are planning to move to Canada this year.

I am married to my wife in 2019, after receiving PR and completing landing procedures. Since, my spouse doean’t have PR or any other visa to accompany me to canada, we are applying for a visitor visa.

Below are the questions I have.

1. Do I need to inform IRCC and update my marital status before applying her visitor visa?

2. Are visitor visa applications automatically considered for multiple entries? If not what should we do to apply for a multi entry visa?

3. If we receive multiple entry visitor visa, can she leave and enter canada(in a space of 20-30 days)?

4. Can she apply for open work permit, and then leave canada while it is in process?

Thanks in advance.
1. No, you don't need to notify IRCC.
2. Yes, they are automatically considered for multiple entry.
3. Sure, she can do that.
4. No, she cannot - at least not for long periods of time. An open work permit is only available if you sponsor her through the inland application process. The inland process requires her to be cohabitating in Canada with you while the application is in progress. She could leave for a 2-3 week trip but otherwise she needs to be living in Canada while the inland application and OWP are processed. If she doesn't want to remain in Canada, then you need to apply outland (there will be no OWP in that case).

ravichs473

Dec 6, 2018
4. No, she cannot - at least not for long periods of time. An open work permit is only available if you sponsor her through the inland application process. The inland process requires her to be cohabitating in Canada with you while the application is in progress. She could leave for a 2-3 week trip but otherwise she needs to be living in Canada while the inland application and OWP are processed. If she doesn't want to remain in Canada, then you need to apply outland (there will be no OWP in that case).
Hi syclla. Thanks a lot for your quick response and answering all my questions.

ravichs473

Dec 6, 2018
One more question. As I, the PR holder is not residing in canada yet, can we select the reason as visiting family(immediate family member) or just visiting canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
One more question. As I, the PR holder is not residing in canada yet, can we select the reason as visiting family(immediate family member) or just visiting canada?
Sorry, I don't know.