+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa for Spouse

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
All what you said makes sense. Could you please walk me through what I should be doing? The application is tricky and I will need to fill it out correctly without lying to the immigration.
1- How much savings is acceptable? Would $10,000 be enough?
2- Where is she staying in Canada? If with me, who am I to her (relationship)? If not, she will need like a hotel reservation or a homestay
3- After we get married, she will let the immigration know while the application being process. My name will be brought up, right? or she will just say married without any information (not sure how this is done) - Would this change affect the officer's decision?
4- If the application gets approved, can we apply for dual intent (PR + Work Permit (inland))

Everything seems to be legit, right? I hope my questions and what I am going through helps other people who are or will be doing the same thing.

Thanks again for taking the time. I really appreciate it!
1. There is no specific amount
2. You will have to determine what you are willing to say. There is a fine line between lying by omission and being honest. If you are married you must declare. It will essentially be assumed that you are in a relationship if you declare someone is visiting a friend in Canada in most cases.
3. Yes you must update your file via webform if you get married. Yes you will have to declare who your spouse is.
4. Yes if approved you can apply for PR with WP. It is taking a long time to get a WP so would not count on working during the majority of the sponsorship period.

Madi667

Jul 7, 2018
1. There is no specific amount
2. You will have to determine what you are willing to say. There is a fine line between lying by omission and being honest. If you are married you must declare. It will essentially be assumed that you are in a relationship if you declare someone is visiting a friend in Canada in most cases.
3. Yes you must update your file via webform if you get married. Yes you will have to declare who your spouse is.
4. Yes if approved you can apply for PR with WP. It is taking a long time to get a WP so would not count on working during the majority of the sponsorship period.
Can't thank you enough!! These are the answers that I've been looking for.
have a great day!!

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
Can't thank you enough!! These are the answers that I've been looking for.
have a great day!!
Based upon the info you provided, her chances are slim.
Fiance/Spousal trv's are extremely hard to get, I would estimate the chances at 15% or less for the average 3rd world type person with little travel, no/low pay job, no assets)
You can increase chances to 50%++ if the applicant has very strong ties to home country (high paying employment, assets, previous or current USA Visa, travel to visa required countries UK, AUS, NZ, etc, small children left behind or parents that you take care of)
The Dual Intent thing was just a former Minister of Immigration Mendicino's gimmick, it means absolutely nothing. In IRCC eyes, as soon as you have a Canadian fiance/spouse, they consider it a dual intent.

Reactions: canuck78

Madi667

Jul 7, 2018
Based upon the info you provided, her chances are slim.
Fiance/Spousal trv's are extremely hard to get, I would estimate the chances at 15% or less for the average 3rd world type person with little travel, no/low pay job, no assets)
You can increase chances to 50%++ if the applicant has very strong ties to home country (high paying employment, assets, previous or current USA Visa, travel to visa required countries UK, AUS, NZ, etc, small children left behind or parents that you take care of)
The Dual Intent thing was just a former Minister of Immigration Mendicino's gimmick, it means absolutely nothing. In IRCC eyes, as soon as you have a Canadian fiance/spouse, they consider it a dual intent.
If her chances are slim, what are the other options? I am a permanent resident and willing to sponsor her. I just want to get her inside the country so we can apply inland. Would a study permit be a better option? She wants to learn English anyway.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If her chances are slim, what are the other options? I am a permanent resident and willing to sponsor her. I just want to get her inside the country so we can apply inland. Would a study permit be a better option? She wants to learn English anyway.
You will always run into the same issues. If you attempt to go for a study permit would only apply for an advanced degree like a masters at a good public university. That is a long process and you’d need to show significant funds. Still would be tough to get approved. Sometimes the only option is sponsoring outland. You can try to get a TRV part way through the sponsorship process. It doesn’t sound like she has a longterm well paying job, does she have international travel experience to countries like US, UK, Australia, etc.?, her own savings? property? Do you have a significant in person relationship history?

Madi667

Jul 7, 2018
You will always run into the same issues. If you attempt to go for a study permit would only apply for an advanced degree like a masters at a good public university. That is a long process and you’d need to show significant funds. Still would be tough to get approved. Sometimes the only option is sponsoring outland. You can try to get a TRV part way through the sponsorship process. It doesn’t sound like she has a longterm well paying job, does she have international travel experience to countries like US, UK, Australia, etc.?, her own savings? property? Do you have a significant in person relationship history?

I applied for a study permit back in 2010. It was pretty straight forward. A letter from an ESL school that I paid for 2-3 month, medical exam, showed my brother's account since he was my sponsor. I got a one-year study permit. The purpose of the stay was to study. No need to show strong ties like someone who wants to visit.

she studied in France for 8 years. She had to get a visa to travel to France. Not sure she had savings. Never asked but she can ask her family to sponsor her.

It is sad that Im a PR and cannot sponsor her to get a TRV or a study permit.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I applied for a study permit back in 2010. It was pretty straight forward. A letter from an ESL school that I paid for 2-3 month, medical exam, showed my brother's account since he was my sponsor. I got a one-year study permit. The purpose of the stay was to study. No need to show strong ties like someone who wants to visit.

she studied in France for 8 years. She had to get a visa to travel to France. Not sure she had savings. Never asked but she can ask her family to sponsor her.

It is sad that Im a PR and cannot sponsor her to get a TRV or a study permit.
You can try but as the spouse of a Canadian citizen or PR Canada usually wants to vet a spouse outside Canada because it is very difficult to deport someone once in Canada. What did they study in France for 8 years? Was this post secondary education? That would make a big difference. What is her home country? Is this an arranged marriage or do you have a long history of in person dating. If you were applying to study for a year as an ESL student, you were in your teens or early 20s and you had strong ties to your home country yes it would have likely been easy to get a study permit if you had ties the funds to pay for the education.

Madi667

Jul 7, 2018
You can try but as the spouse of a Canadian citizen or PR Canada usually wants to vet a spouse outside Canada because it is very difficult to deport someone once in Canada. What did they study in France for 8 years? Was this post secondary education? That would make a big difference. What is her home country? Is this an arranged marriage or do you have a long history of in person dating. If you were applying to study for a year as an ESL student, you were in your teens or early 20s and you had strong ties to your home country yes it would have likely been easy to get a study permit if you had ties the funds to pay for the education.
I have less than 2 weeks to decide and then help her apply for either a TRV or a study permit. She studied biology and got her degree in 2018. I am not worried about her education. She studied a lot in France. I don't think age matters when it comes to coming to Canada to study English. My English school was full of students over 30.

The other issue with the study permit is that, let's say she gets it. After that, she will have to apply for TRV to enter the country. That can be applied for after she receives her study permit. Meaning --> Way more time. I think the visitor visa is a faster option. There must be a WAYYYY!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have less than 2 weeks to decide and then help her apply for either a TRV or a study permit. She studied biology and got her degree in 2018. I am not worried about her education. She studied a lot in France. I don't think age matters when it comes to coming to Canada to study English. My English school was full of students over 30.

The other issue with the study permit is that, let's say she gets it. After that, she will have to apply for TRV to enter the country. That can be applied for after she receives her study permit. Meaning --> Way more time. I think the visitor visa is a faster option. There must be a WAYYYY!
Does she have a bachelors? masters? You are very unlikely to get even an acceptance to a school in 2 weeks. Does she have IELTS or equivalent French exam? Getting a study permit can take months and you need a letter of acceptance first. Study permits and immigration have changed dramatically since you studied. Coming toCanada to do language classes as a 30+ year old would be very difficult because it doesn’t make sense for most to leave family and careers to spend so much money on language classes. There is access to good language classes in most countries or online these days.

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
You can try for all of it, its like betting on a horse at the track...

Madi667

Jul 7, 2018
You can try for all of it, its like betting on a horse at the track...
I think she should apply for TRV from a different country. If she applies from her country, the processing time is more than 4 months while in other neighbouring countries no more than 30-40 days. What are your thoughts?

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
I think she should apply for TRV from a different country. If she applies from her country, the processing time is more than 4 months while in other neighbouring countries no more than 30-40 days. What are your thoughts?
Do it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Processing times are often not up-to-date and are always estimates. Processing times are usually for citizens of that country so processing of a FN applying in another country can be longer.

Sledge

Star Member
Dec 30, 2020
Edmonton
Category........
VISIT
In my experience it does not mean much. TRVs from my wife's country stated 240 days but it was processed in 30.