+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa for spouse of COPR holder

Deepti91

Star Member
Jul 3, 2020
Hi All,

Please suggest what should be done?

I received PPR for my PR application earlier this month and should get my stamped passport by the end of this month going by the current timeline.
I have read that once i become a PR and then if i apply for spouse's visitor visa, there are high chances of its refusal.
So what if i apply for his visitor visa now, when i am not a PR on paper? Will that make the chances of my spouse's visitor visa getting accepted any better?

My intention is that after I land and become a PR(sometime in Jan-Feb 2022), I would like to initiate outland spousal sponsorship application for him. But would also like him to have the flexibility of traveling in and out of Canada by acquiring a visitor visa because i know spousal applications can take upto(or even more than) 12 months to get finalized.

Or do you think there is a better approach that i could consider?
Also, after becoming a PR, do i have to wait for certain duration before applying for spousal sponsorship?or can i apply immediately?

P.S.-COR-India
And, I had marked my spouse as non-accompanying while submitting my PR application.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,

Please suggest what should be done?

I received PPR for my PR application earlier this month and should get my stamped passport by the end of this month going by the current timeline.
I have read that once i become a PR and then if i apply for spouse's visitor visa, there are high chances of its refusal.
So what if i apply for his visitor visa now, when i am not a PR on paper? Will that make the chances of my spouse's visitor visa getting accepted any better?

My intention is that after I land and become a PR(sometime in Jan-Feb 2022), I would like to initiate outland spousal sponsorship application for him. But would also like him to have the flexibility of traveling in and out of Canada by acquiring a visitor visa because i know spousal applications can take upto(or even more than) 12 months to get finalized.

Or do you think there is a better approach that i could consider?
Also, after becoming a PR, do i have to wait for certain duration before applying for spousal sponsorship?or can i apply immediately?

P.S.-COR-India
And, I had marked my spouse as non-accompanying while submitting my PR application.

Thanks in advance!
It won't make any difference if your spouse applies for the TRV now or after you have become a PR.

You can apply to sponsor your spouse immediately after becoming a PR. Note that you must be in Canada when you submit the sponsorship application and you must continue living in Canada while the application is processed.

Reactions: Deepti91

Deepti91

Star Member
Jul 3, 2020
It won't make any difference if your spouse applies for the TRV now or after you have become a PR.

You can apply to sponsor your spouse immediately after becoming a PR. Note that you must be in Canada when you submit the sponsorship application and you must continue living in Canada while the application is processed.
So what you are saying is, even if my spouse tries for a visitor visa now, the chances of rejection are high?

I would like to mention that I was previously on a work permit in Canada for a little more than a year years and my husband visited me twice back then for 3 weeks each time i.e. without staying for long. He has a government job in India.
We don't own any property/real estate in India. But we do have good bank balance. Could these facts make his case stronger for getting a visitor visa?
What are some supporting things that you can suggest me to attach while applying for his visitor visa for a positive outcome?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So what you are saying is, even if my spouse tries for a visitor visa now, the chances of rejection are high?

I would like to mention that I was previously on a work permit in Canada for a little more than a year years and my husband visited me twice back then for 3 weeks each time i.e. without staying for long. He has a government job in India.
We don't own any property/real estate in India. But we do have good bank balance. Could these facts make his case stronger for getting a visitor visa?
What are some supporting things that you can suggest me to attach while applying for his visitor visa for a positive outcome?
What I'm saying is that you don't increase your chances in applying now vs. later.

A strong bank balance will increase the chances. More important than that is previous travel to Canada. If your spouse has previous travel to Canada, the TRV should be approved.

Deepti91

Star Member
Jul 3, 2020
What I'm saying is that you don't increase your chances in applying now vs. later.

A strong bank balance will increase the chances. More important than that is previous travel to Canada. If your spouse has previous travel to Canada, the TRV should be approved.
Gotcha.
Thank you so much for your response!