+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa for Spouse awaiting PR approval

AKamz

Jan 12, 2018
Hello friends,

Its been a while, I have been reading few threads related to 'Visitor visa for Spouse awaiting PR approval' and i am so frustrated. I personally don't understand why is this such a difficult task to get a visitor visa when PR is already applied and how can CIC expect married couple to stay apart for years while they keep the application in pending status. I mean there has to be some logical solution this is 2018.
Anyhow, even though few threads had an elaborate explanation on the success stories but it doesn't look like a green signal in our case.
My wife applied for PR under spouse visa category in March 2018. Initially our file moved swiftly and we got medical request, my sponsorship eligibility passed and file reached the 'background verification' stage which i am assuming is the last stage but now we are stuck there from last 4 months. My wife is in India by the way. I wish to apply a visitor visa for her but unfortunately she was laid off her job in March itself and then she was doing a certification from an institute. Currently, she does not have a job and we don't have any fixed assets in her name. We are a newly married couple and just want to live together. All the options that are suggested to prove ties to the home country (job, study, fixed assets, bank loan, etc) nothing works for my wife and to be honest, there is no tie expect all of her family is there which is a big reason at emotional level but not practically significant for cic. To all the experts in this group, do you think we have a chance here? Cant CIC give just a single entry visa since our PR will anyhow be decided by the time visitor visa duration ends? Is it really that big a deal? At the look of it, it seems visitor visa for a spouse awaiting PR is like the most challenging visa, everyone has written about this and it just doesn't make sense to me and I am thinking without having a job, its not even worth trying. Please share your experience and thoughts.
Thank you in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unfortunately she is unlikely to get a visa but you can try if you want. If someone is granted a visa there is no guarantee they will leave or try to extend their visa. The timeline for processing has been reduced by half in the recent years. Marrying someone from another country unfortunately comes with other issues. Processing time is approx 12 months so you a well within normal processing time.

Ashvikha

Star Member
Sep 24, 2018
Hi i recently came to canada on visitor visa to stay with my husband 3 months ago. We provided our wedding photos invite and an invite letter from my spouse stating purpose of visit and his t4 ,employment letter and bank statement. My visitor visa was approved in 20 to 30 days in banglore. Now i have applied for my PR as an inland applicant!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi i recently came to canada on visitor visa to stay with my husband 3 months ago. We provided our wedding photos invite and an invite letter from my spouse stating purpose of visit and his t4 ,employment letter and bank statement. My visitor visa was approved in 20 to 30 days in banglore. Now i have applied for my PR as an inland applicant!
This is a perfect example of why @AKamz was refused because others convince CIC that they will just visit and then apply for PR inland.

Reactions: scylla

Ashvikha

Star Member
Sep 24, 2018
This is a perfect example of why @AKamz was refused because others convince CIC that they will just visit and then apply for PR inland.
CIC does not reject spouse visitor visa with genuine reasons. they reject spouse visitor visa due to many conducting marriage fraud. if you can prove that your wedding is genuine they do approve your visitor visa. However, Amkaz situation is different. he has already applied for a outland application. or with an invite letter from his spouse and all wedding proof one can get a spousal visitor visa. and i never submitted any strong ties to my country. my husband was sponsoring my visit. so i hope you get the picture @canuck78 . but what we did was we updated my passport as soon as we were married by adding my husbands name. Even i believed my visitor application was going to be rejected but it was not!

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
CIC does not reject spouse visitor visa with genuine reasons. they reject spouse visitor visa due to many conducting marriage fraud. if you can prove that your wedding is genuine they do approve your visitor visa. However, Amkaz situation is different. he has already applied for a outland application. or with an invite letter from his spouse and all wedding proof one can get a spousal visitor visa. and i never submitted any strong ties to my country. my husband was sponsoring my visit. so i hope you get the picture @canuck78 . but what we did was we updated my passport as soon as we were married by adding my husbands name. Even i believed my visitor application was going to be rejected but it was not!
Has nothing to do with making sure your marriage is genuine. That is what spousal sponsorship is for. When people apply for visitor visa with the purpose of applying for PR inland they misrepresented their intentions. They had no intention of returning home. If everyone returned after their visit and didn't file for inland PR, many more spouses would be approved.

AKamz

Jan 12, 2018
I hear you @canuck78 :-(
The spousal visa for my wife was applied as outland candidate in March so obviously I don’t have intentions to apply inland PR again but such episodes do make things ambiguous. I think I will just invite her with an honest situation as it is and give it a shot.
Thanks everyone.