+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa for sister refused

Sep 16, 2022
I am currently in Canada as a PR and moved here in 2014 as a student. I recently applied for my family's visitor visa to come to visit me in Canada. My parents' visas were approved but my sister's visa was refused. My sister is 32 and dependent on my parents due to medical reasons. In the application, we did not put much emphasis on her medical issues or the fact that she is a dependent. It is pretty disheartening that we come here, spend 10s or even 100s of thousands of dollars to be here and they make it so difficult for our families to even come to visit us.

Has anyone gone through something similar or have any suggestions? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am currently in Canada as a PR and moved here in 2014 as a student. I recently applied for my family's visitor visa to come to visit me in Canada. My parents' visas were approved but my sister's visa was refused. My sister is 32 and dependent on my parents due to medical reasons. In the application, we did not put much emphasis on her medical issues or the fact that she is a dependent. It is pretty disheartening that we come here, spend 10s or even 100s of thousands of dollars to be here and they make it so difficult for our families to even come to visit us.

Has anyone gone through something similar or have any suggestions? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
If she was included in your parens’ application at the age of 32 with no medical evidence or reason for being considered a dependant then it is no wonder that she was refused. At 32, she would have applied separately from your parents with her own application unless your provided definitive proof of dépendance on your parents.

You being a PR and spending money in Canada doesn’t give your family a right to travel to Canada. It is a privilege and your sister needs to provide medical evidence (doctor reports) as well as reports that she can’t work or live on her own without parental assistance. Your parents may have been approved because your sister is a tie for them to return.

So what were the reasons for refusal? If you don’t know then order GCMS notes. Apply when you can address reasons for refusal.

Sep 16, 2022
If she was included in your parens’ application at the age of 32 with no medical evidence or reason for being considered a dependant then it is no wonder that she was refused. At 32, she would have applied separately from your parents with her own application unless your provided definitive proof of dépendance on your parents.

You being a PR and spending money in Canada doesn’t give your family a right to travel to Canada. It is a privilege and your sister needs to provide medical evidence (doctor reports) as well as reports that she can’t work or live on her own without parental assistance. Your parents may have been approved because your sister is a tie for them to return.

So what were the reasons for refusal? If you don’t know then order GCMS notes. Apply when you can address reasons for refusal.
Thanks for your response! The reasons for the refusal were "family ties" (meaning me), and the officer not being convinced that she will leave the country after the trip. I have submitted an ATIP request for the GCMS notes, just waiting on the results. I am hoping to apply again with more supporting documents to explain the dependence on my parents.
Thanks again for the information :)

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for your response! The reasons for the refusal were "family ties" (meaning me), and the officer not being convinced that she will leave the country after the trip. I have submitted an ATIP request for the GCMS notes, just waiting on the results. I am hoping to apply again with more supporting documents to explain the dependence on my parents.
Thanks again for the information :)
So her reason for refusal was family ties? At 32 that isn’t you that is her lack of immediate family members in her home country. This would be a spouse, any children and to a lesser degree, your parents. You are not her immediate family. If your parents visit, then she has no family ties to return to.

Sep 16, 2022
So her reason for refusal was family ties? At 32 that isn’t you that is her lack of immediate family members in her home country. This would be a spouse, any children and to a lesser degree, your parents. You are not her immediate family. If your parents visit, then she has no family ties to return to.
It says "significant family ties in Canada". My parents would be visiting temporarily and as a dependent, she would have to return with them. Also, my parents can't really visit me and leave her behind because she is a dependent