+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa for Sister and her husband

RV_13

Star Member
Jun 24, 2012
Hi Friends,

I am a Canadian PR and currently employed here.
My sister and her husband would be coming for a 3 week visit to my place in August. They are employed in India and already booked the return flight tickets as well. Also received the leave letter from their employer.

Now, they are going to submit the visa application. I have the following questions:
1) Reg. liquid funds in their account, how much in total should they show?
2) They would be showing separate accounts individually and my Sister's account is a joint account with my mother. Will that be okay or can cause an issue?
3) Will applying by mid-June would be ok? Their travel date is 16-Aug.

Thanks!

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

First, it's not a wise idea to book any flight tickets before getting visas.

1. Funds: Whatever they have earned without borrowing from anyone + the bank balance must match their sources of income/ITRs

2. Joint bank accounts are acceptable. However, if the depositor of those funds in the joint account is your mom then this bank account will not prove that your sister has adequate funds for her visit. Hope the funds are earned by your sister.

3. You must factor in the estimated time for processing. Do keep in mind that if your sister/her husband are working in the defense services/police/government department or traveled to/lived in a high-risk country then there are possibilities of background checks

Cheers

RV_13

Star Member
Jun 24, 2012
Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

First, it's not a wise idea to book any flight tickets before getting visas.
I agree, but the prices were surging pretty fast, so took the chance of booking it. Hopefully it works! :)

1. Funds: Whatever they have earned without borrowing from anyone + the bank balance must match their sources of income/ITRs
2. Joint bank accounts are acceptable. However, if the depositor of those funds in the joint account is your mom then this bank account will not prove that your sister has adequate funds for her visit. Hope the funds are earned by your sister.
Thanks Bryanna for the reply.

Q: For the joint account, how do we prove the fund is not deposited by my mother and is earned by my sister? This is a separate savings account where she deposits her savings for a long time and not her salary account.

3. You must factor in the estimated time for processing. Do keep in mind that if your sister/her husband are working in the defense services/police/government department or traveled to/lived in a high-risk country then there are possibilities of background checks

Q. The application is from India and current processing time shows as 21 days. They are working in private sector and hasn't travelled to any high risk country. Should that be ok to be processed within a month?

Cheers

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hope they've booked refundable tickets.

Q: For the joint account, how do we prove the fund is not deposited by my mother and is earned by my sister? This is a separate savings account where she deposits her savings for a long time and not her salary account.
Your sister must include 6-12 months' bank statement of the account from which she transfers these funds.... highlight these transfers + include a small explanation.

Your sister and her husband must prove they have the finances to pay for their intended itinerary + airfares without depending on you.

Q. The application is from India and current processing time shows as 21 days. They are working in private sector and hasn't travelled to any high risk country. Should that be ok to be processed within a month?
Any timeline is possible. It's difficult to say

Last edited: