+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa for parents; one got approved and the other one got refusal!!! Please suggest

InderDeol

Apr 26, 2019
Hello everyone, we applied for our parents visitor visa, in gc key account. My dad got visa approval and got the passport request but my mother’s application got refused 2 days after my dads approval. We applied from 1 account; my dad Being the primary applicant and mom was accompanying family member. It’s very confusing how one can be refused when both have same profile, same reasons to travel and exactly same personal and financial situations. Kindly suggest what should we do ?

Jazzed

Star Member
Jan 15, 2022
Hello everyone, we applied for our parents visitor visa, in gc key account. My dad got visa approval and got the passport request but my mother’s application got refused 2 days after my dads approval. We applied from 1 account; my dad Being the primary applicant and mom was accompanying family member. It’s very confusing how one can be refused when both have same profile, same reasons to travel and exactly same personal and financial situations. Kindly suggest what should we do ?

Technically as the IRCC will tell you there is no formal process to appeal a TRV

However there is an informal one. You can submit via web form for a reconsideration
However, you may not place a request just because you disagree with the officer’s decision. You have to include enough information and documents to show the officer one or more of the following has occurred:

The officer has made a clerical error (e.g., they did not notice a document).
There are humanitarian and compassionate reasons to reconsider the decision.
You have detected an obvious mistake in fact or law
The complementary evidence you have found could convince the officer to change their mind

And although technically there is no time frame to do so as it is informal. In reality you have about 30 days or the officer could say it's been too long to reconsider the decision.

NB: This is an informal process so you could be ignored completely and they really are under no obligation to even acknowledge your request . [This would not be my personal choice ]

2. Or you can ask for judicial review [ this is a costly and long process and makes no sense to me for a temporary visa]

3. You can request your GCMS notes and address the officers concerns and try again with a new application.

Personally I would do number 3. Maybe look up so case laws to quote and back up my position and to make my case stronger since there is a recent refusal on file.
If you aren't comfortable based on the officers reasons to do this on your own you can hire a lawyer. But for a TRV that's rarely needed unless you are dealing with some sort of ban.

Good luck.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
What were reasons for refusal? Order GCMS notes. Sometimes both parents aren’t approved as it gives one parent a tie to home country, so one parent will return.