App. Filed.......
15-04-2015
AOR Received.
10-07-2015
Med's Request
11-12-2015
Passport Req..
15-03-2016 (DM: 16-03-2016)
I applied for my father’s visitor visa and got approval back in 2017. At that time, I just provided business registration under my father’s name, his saving account and my NOA. The application got approval in about 3 weeks.

In 2019, I applied visitor visa for my mom twice but i got refused both times. Please note that within the last 10 years, my mom visited Cambodia once back in 2010 but her old passport was not returned to her when she renewed her passport. CIC required you to provide travel history (passport for example) within the past 10 years, and my mom couldn’t provide a copy of her old passport for the time she travelled to Cambodia.

First time, I only provided her bank statement of around $50K. I explained about what my mom couldn’t provide the copy of her old passport. Her application was refused with email from CIC as below:

• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your travel history.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your family ties in Canada and in your country of residence.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your personal assets and financial status.

Second time, I provided proof that my mom currently owns 3 houses back home plus her bank statement of $50K. I also explained she has stronger ties back home than in Canada. She has husband, oldest daughter and only grandson back home while she has only me here in Canada. Her application got refused again with reasons as below:

I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your travel history.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your personal assets and financial status.

Anyone can give me idea what I should do to help my mom obtain visitor visa?

Just to mention that I applied interest to sponsor my parents back in January 2019 but not sure if I will get invitation from CIC. It will take times to process the sponsorship application (not mention I may not get invitation this year). Somehow, I have a thought that my mom’s visitor visa will get higher change to be refused if the sponsorship application is in process. Because it’s harder to convince that my mom will merely visit canada while she has intention to live in Canada permanently. Anyone can give me advice if my thought is right or wrong?

Last edited:

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Wondering if you can show some other proof of travel history. For ex: 2010 Photos of your Mom at famous Canadian landmarks.

What was the duration of trip mentioned in the application both times?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I applied for my father’s visitor visa and got approval back in 2017. At that time, I just provided business registration under my father’s name, his saving account and my NOA. The application got approval in about 3 weeks.

In 2019, I applied visitor visa for my mom twice but i got refused both times. Please note that within the last 10 years, my mom visited Combodia once back in 2010 but her old passport was not returned to her when she renewed her passport. CIC required you to provide travel history (passport for example) within the past 10 years, and my mom couldn’t provide a copy of her old passport for the time she travelled to Cambodia.

First time, I only provided her bank statement of around $50K. I explained about what my mom couldn’t provide the copy of her old passport. Her application was refused with email from CIC as below:

• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your travel history.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your family ties in Canada and in your country of residence.

Second time, I provided proof that my mom currently owns 3 houses back home plus her bank statement of $50K. I also explained she has stronger ties back home than in Canada. She has husband, oldest daughter and only grandson back home while she has only me here in Canada. Her application got refused again with reasons as below:

I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your travel history.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.

Anyone can give me idea what I should do to help my mom obtain visitor visa?

Just to mention that I applied interest to sponsor my parents back in January 2019 but not sure if I will get invitation from CIC. It will take times to process the sponsorship application (not mention I may not get invitation this year). Somehow, I have a thought that my mom’s visitor visa will get higher change to be refused if the sponsorship application is in process. Because it’s harder to convince that my mom will merely visit canada while she has intention to live in Canada permanently. Anyone can give me advice if my thought is right or wrong?
1. What was the purpose of your mom's visit and for how long?

2. Unfortunately, her trips to Cambodia will not count as travel history. It's usually visits to visa-required countries (US, UK, Schengen, Australia, NZ, etc) that help.

3. Are the properties rented out? If yes, does she have paperwork to prove this?

4. Was the money in her bank account earned by her + taxes paid?

5. Does your sister and nephew live with your parents?

6. Do post the list of documents that she had submitted

7. Your mom has applied extremely quickly after the previous refusal. Any particular reason?

unsvn.it

Star Member
Dec 12, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NSVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2015
AOR Received.
10-07-2015
Med's Request
11-12-2015
Passport Req..
Wondering if you can show some other proof of travel history. For ex: 2010 Photos of your Mom at famous Canadian landmarks.

What was the duration of trip mentioned in the application both times?
Thank you for your reply. She visited Cambodia in 2010. You mean show showed some photo of herself at famous Cambodia landmarks?

The duration of trip is only two weeks. I explained to CIC that she only intended to visit for two weeks, and that is only the most period of time I can ask for leave of absence. After two weeks, I will go back to work, and my mother will go back to our home country.

My father visited me in 2018 and he stayed for only two weeks only. I also mentioned this in my explanation letter as supporting.

Last edited:

unsvn.it

Star Member
Dec 12, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NSVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2015
AOR Received.
10-07-2015
Med's Request
11-12-2015
Passport Req..
QUOTE="Bryanna, post: 7643768, member: 522445"]

Thank you a lot for looking into my case and sharing your thought!

It's just merely to visit me. and the trip is for 2 weeks only. I explained to CIC that she only intended to visit for two weeks, and that is the most period of time I can ask for leave of absence. After two weeks, I will go back to work, and my mother will go back to our home country. My father visited me in 2018 and he stayed for only two weeks. I also mentioned this in my explanation letter as supporting.

2. Unfortunately, her trips to Cambodia will not count as travel history. It's usually visits to visa-required countries (US, UK, Schengen, Australia, NZ, etc) that help.
She used to travel to Korea once (which required visa) back in 2018, and I provided a copy of her passport. Other countries she has travelled to is Singapore and Thailand.

Our family has a business registered under my father's name. However, both my mother and my father manage the business, and my mom even puts more time to manage it.

I acknowledge my mom doesn't have a strong travel history, and I did explain to CIC that because my mom is very busy to manage the business and she didn't have a lot of time to travel. My mother just started to travel more since 2018. I'm thinking to have her apply visa and travel to Japan or Australia before re-apply to Canada.

3. Are the properties rented out? If yes, does she have paperwork to prove this?
The properties are not rented out. One of the property is current location of our family business and I provided a copy of business registration under my father name to prove it.

She doesn't pay taxes. It's merely a saving account that she barely touches money in this account. Money sit in her account for a while.

yes, both of them live with my parents.

- A copy of business registered under my father's name + copy of marriage certificate of my parents: I tried to explain to them that my father has a business and both my parents manage the business.
- A copy of three house ownership certificates under both my parents' name.
- A copy of my mother's saving account.
- My passport plus 2017 NOA (~65K income) (I didn't have 2018 T4 on hand at that time)

7. Your mom has applied extremely quickly after the previous refusal. Any particular reason?[/QUOTE]
I applied the first time in January 2018. At that time I only provided copy of saving account and we got refused. I could see I didn't show strong evidence enough to convince CIC that my mother has assets, and stronger ties to our home country.
So I didn't think much and simply reapply in February with more evidences and a long explanation letter to address each concern from refusal letter.

One other reason is that I applied interest to sponsor my parents to Canada on January 28, 2019. I don't know if I'm going to get invitation. I was thinking (I might be wrong), if I got invitation this year and apply for sponsorship, it would be harder to apply for vistor visa. Therefore, in some sense, I hope my mom will get visitor visa before I have result from her CIC if I gets invitation. Definitely my mom has intention to live in Canada permanently in a few years later. However, please note that unless my parents got Canada PR, they have no intention to stay long in Canada under visitor visa as they have business to manage back home and the business generates decent income.

Last edited:

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
As your mom has been refused twice in less than 1-1.5 months, IMO, it would be best to wait for a few months before reapplying.

QUOTE="Bryanna, post: 7643768, member: 522445"]

Thank you a lot for looking into my case and sharing your thought!

It's just merely to visit me. and the trip is for 2 weeks only. I explained to CIC that she only intended to visit for two weeks, and that is the most period of time I can ask for leave of absence. After two weeks, I will go back to work, and my mother will go back to our home country. My father visited me in 2018 and he stayed for only two weeks. I also mentioned this in my explanation letter as supporting.
She must include a detailed day-by-day visit plan with expense estimates.... for sightseeing, meeting you/your family, activities, etc.

She used to travel to Korea once (which required visa) back in 2018, and I provided a copy of her passport. Other countries she has travelled to is Singapore and Thailand.
Unfortunately, none of these countries would count as travel history.

Our family has a business registered under my father's name. However, both my mother and my father manage the business, and my mom even puts more time to manage it.
Your mom must include evidence that the business is actively trading on a day-by-day basis + she manages some part of the business + she is remunerated for her efforts.

I acknowledge my mom doesn't have a strong travel history, and I did explain to CIC that because my mom is very busy to manage the business and she didn't have a lot of time to travel. My mother just started to travel more since 2018. I'm thinking to have her apply visa and travel to Japan or Australia before re-apply to Canada.
Travel to Japan and Australia might not help because her ties to Canada are stronger. She does not have family in Japan/Australia.

The properties are not rented out. One of the property is current location of our family business and I provided a copy of business registration under my father name to prove it.
She must include the property ownership documents + valuation + property tax receipts, etc

She doesn't pay taxes. It's merely a saving account that she barely touches money in this account. Money sit in her account for a while.
As she does not pay taxes, she cannot prove that the business is legit + she cannot prove that supports the business.

yes, both of them live with my parents.
Your mom can include evidence that they live at the same address + they are dependent on your parents for their finances and well-being (if that's the case).

- A copy of business registered under my father's name + copy of marriage certificate of my parents: I tried to explain to them that my father has a business and both my parents manage the business.
- A copy of three house ownership certificates under both my parents' name.
- A copy of my mother's saving account.
- My passport plus 2017 NOA (~65K income) (I didn't have 2018 T4 on hand at that time)
Explanations must be supported by evidence. In this case, all the evidence is in favor of your dad, not your mom.... except the property ownership.

7. Your mom has applied extremely quickly after the previous refusal. Any particular reason?
I applied the first time in January 2018. At that time I only provided copy of saving account and we got refused. I could see I didn't show strong evidence enough to convince CIC that my mother has assets, and stronger ties to our home country.
So I didn't think much and simply reapply in February with more evidences and a long explanation letter to address each concern from refusal letter.
Is that 2018 or 2019? A typo?

One other reason is that I applied interest to sponsor my parents to Canada on January 28, 2019. I don't know if I'm going to get invitation. I was thinking (I might be wrong), if I got invitation this year and apply for sponsorship, it would be harder to apply for vistor visa. Therefore, in some sense, I hope my mom will get visitor visa before I have result from her CIC if I gets invitation. Definitely my mom has intention to live in Canada permanently in a few years later. However, please note that unless my parents got Canada PR, they have no intention to stay long in Canada under visitor visa as they have business to manage back home and the business generates decent income.
No, it won't be more difficult for them to get TRVs if you apply to sponsor them for PR. It is called 'Dual Intent'

Other suggestions:
1. Does your mom have any financial investments?

2. Can she prove any compelling reasons to return to Vietnam after her intended visit? For example, a wedding in the immediate family, some business reason, etc

3. You may want to include an overseas travel medical insurance policy (not mandatory, but it could help) for the duration of her visit

Last edited:
Reactions: unsvn.it

avn2411

Apr 13, 2017
I am so sorry to hear about your situation. Some CIC inspectors can be awfully unreasonable.

Have you tried enrolling her in a US/Canada organized tour? The tourist agent may be able to help her with the application process.

A

Reactions: unsvn.it

unsvn.it

Star Member
Dec 12, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NSVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2015
AOR Received.
10-07-2015
Med's Request
11-12-2015
Passport Req..
I am so sorry to hear about your situation. Some CIC inspectors can be awfully unreasonable.

Have you tried enrolling her in a US/Canada organized tour? The tourist agent may be able to help her with the application process.

A
Due to my mother's application got refused twice and she is not rushing to have visa to Canada, so we decided to give it another try next year and won't re-apply this year. We may ask for help from a US/Canada organized tour or we do it on our own, depending on the situation at that time. Next year, if we apply, we are thinking to try supervisa visa, not tourist visa.