+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa for my in laws from China?

Dko

Star Member
Sep 24, 2015
hi there, I want to invite my father and mother in law from China. Should I be the one writing up the invitation letter or is it better for my wife do it? My wife is a stayed home mother and I'm working full time.
Also can I submit my condo land title, bank statements, my 2017 T4? Do I need to buy travel insurance for them from a Canadian company?

Thanks

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
hi there, I want to invite my father and mother in law from China. Should I be the one writing up the invitation letter or is it better for my wife do it? My wife is a stayed home mother and I'm working full time.
IMO, it's better if you write the invitation letter.... or else, you and your wife can be co-inviters. For both options, do include a copy of your marriage certificate.

Also can I submit my condo land title, bank statements, my 2017 T4?
Copies of your passport/immigration status + your bank statement, your T4, etc. Do keep in mind that your in-laws need to demonstrate that they have strong ties to China + finances to pay for the visit.

Do I need to buy travel insurance for them from a Canadian company?
No, you don't need to. Insurance is not mandatory/part of a TRV application.

That being said, it is always a good idea to have insurance coverage when traveling abroad

Dko

Star Member
Sep 24, 2015
Hi Bryanna thx for the quick reply!

Do you have an sample of the invitation letter or a link you can share? Thx

IMO, it's better if you write the invitation letter.... or else, you and your wife can be co-inviters. For both options, do include a copy of your marriage certificate.

Copies of your passport/immigration status + your bank statement, your T4, etc. Do keep in mind that your in-laws need to demonstrate that they have strong ties to China + finances to pay for the visit.

No, you don't need to. Insurance is not mandatory/part of a TRV application.

That being said, it is always a good idea to have insurance coverage when traveling abroad

Dko

Star Member
Sep 24, 2015
So my in laws got their visitor visa approved. Mar30.18 to Mar13.25 expiry date with MULTIPLE ENTRIES. So does it mean the visa is good until Mar.13.25? Also it doesn't state how long they can stay inside Canada per entry. I want to book their return flights right away, but I don't know their departure date since I don't know if they are allowed to stay for 2 months, 3 months, or more? Pls help thank you!

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
So my in laws got their visitor visa approved. Mar30.18 to Mar13.25 expiry date with MULTIPLE ENTRIES. So does it mean the visa is good until Mar.13.25? Also it doesn't state how long they can stay inside Canada per entry. I want to book their return flights right away, but I don't know their departure date since I don't know if they are allowed to stay for 2 months, 3 months, or more? Pls help thank you!
Yes, that's what it means. They can enter Canada on that same visa on March 12 2025.
How long they are allowed to stay will be determined by the CBSA officer at the airport. Unless something goes really wrong with their interview, they should be allowed to stay for the maximum 6 months.

Dko

Star Member
Sep 24, 2015
Yes, that's what it means. They can enter Canada on that same visa on March 12 2025.
How long they are allowed to stay will be determined by the CBSA officer at the airport. Unless something goes really wrong with their interview, they should be allowed to stay for the maximum 6 months.
Hi Bella
What do they usually ask at the border? My in laws doesn't know any English at all. So I should book a flight ticket with a cancellation / change insurance.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hi Bella
What do they usually ask at the border? My in laws doesn't know any English at all. So I should book a flight ticket with a cancellation / change insurance.
That would be ideal.

- How long they are staying
- Where are they staying (address)
- Who are they related to
- Why are they traveling to Canada (tourism, family visit, etc.)
- If they have any food (also asked in the customs declaration)
- If they are carrying money over CA$10,000 (also asked in the customs declaration)

They can carry a letter from you or your spouse that explains that they don't speak English, plus the details above, and your contact details. There may be interpreters available.

Dko

Star Member
Sep 24, 2015
That would be ideal.

- How long they are staying
- Where are they staying (address)
- Who are they related to
- Why are they traveling to Canada (tourism, family visit, etc.)
- If they have any food (also asked in the customs declaration)
- If they are carrying money over CA$10,000 (also asked in the customs declaration)

They can carry a letter from you or your spouse that explains that they don't speak English, plus the details above, and your contact details. There may be interpreters available.
Thank you!

Dko

Star Member
Sep 24, 2015
Hello, can anyone share a visitor landing experience? Once they past customs do they get their luggage 1st then go see the border officer in the room, to find out how long they can stay in Canada? Thanks!