+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa for my dad- retd govt personnel

gayathry84

Star Member
Dec 30, 2015
Hi All

We are in the process of applying visitor visa for my dad to Canada. I read many rejection stories and worried on that front. Few points below:
1. He is a retd min of defence personnel, drawing pension- he will show his bank statements, pension slip, tax slip
2. This is his first international trip ever- is that a concern?
3. He will carry close to 5 lacs INR (converted in CAD)- is this enough.
4. He wants to come for two months- is it risky to mention 2 months in invite letter and in the form? or should we say lesser duration?
5. I am doing it online, does not ask for medicals or to take health insurance policy- should i still ask him to do this?
6. How much impact does mine or my husband salary has on this visa application? I will mention in the invite letter that he will be staying with us, his food and lodging is taken care by us and he will take care of travel tickets. Is this enough?

Please pour in suggestions to avoid rejections.

Thanks
Gayathri

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi All

We are in the process of applying visitor visa for my dad to Canada. I read many rejection stories and worried on that front. Few points below:
1. He is a retd min of defence personnel, drawing pension- he will show his bank statements, pension slip, tax slip
Any property or land ownership?
Dependent family members?
Pension renewal as a reason to return?
Retirement benefits that he could lose if he does not return to India?
Financial investments?

It depends on how well he prepares his application.

Hope this money was earned by him.... matches his tax assessments..... not borrowed from someone.

4. He wants to come for two months- is it risky to mention 2 months in invite letter and in the form? or should we say lesser duration?
3-4 weeks is ideal + a detailed day-by day visit plan with expense estimates.

5. I am doing it online, does not ask for medicals or to take health insurance policy- should i still ask him to do this?
No

6. How much impact does mine or my husband salary has on this visa application? I will mention in the invite letter that he will be staying with us, his food and lodging is taken care by us and he will take care of travel tickets. Is this enough?
Your financial support is secondary. He must prove he can afford the visit on his own.

Depending on the nature of his work responsibilities, seniority in the defense services, and his postings, his application might go through background checks and could take longer than normal applications. In short, don't make any travel plans before a decision is given

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hi All

Thanks
Gayathri
Make sure you show strong ties to his home country. This could be property, investments, other family etc. You want to convince the issuing officer that your father will leave the country after visiting you and not just stay on. If he owns a home, that's usually enough to prove that he will return.

If your father was in the Army, it will take longer than 7 days to get a visa. This is standard for defense personnel.

You can choose to sponsor his visit and be responsible for all expenses. If that is the case, he does not have to show a lot of money of his own. Your invitation letter needs to follow a certain format if you are choosing to sponsor him. I did this for my mother - she showed $3000 in her account, and I wrote the following letter
---------------------------
My Name
My Address
Toronto, Ontario
My Phone Number
My Email

July XX, 2018
Visitor Visa for

- Mom's Name

o Passport No: Mom's Passport

o Date of Birth: Mom's D.O.B

This is to certify that I am inviting my mother to visit me in Toronto from Sep 01, 2018 to Sep 21, 2018. This is a family visit.

I, 21Goose, am currently working at BIGCO as a JOB POST. I have attached a letter of employment from BIGCO.

My wife’s name is 21GooseWife. Both my wife and I are Canadian Permanent Residents. I have attached copies of our Permanent Resident Cards.

My mother will be staying at our home for the duration of her stay. I will be responsible for any living costs, meals, tourist activities, etc. The total number of people living in my household is two (my wife and I). I have attached my two most recent pay stubs, as well as bank statements from the past four months.

I am also attaching a copy of my passport that shows my relationship to my mother.

Should there be any reason to contact us, you may reach us by phone or email as detailed above.

Kind regards,
21Goose and Wife

Hosts

21Goose
Date of Birth – my d.o.b

21GooseWife - Spouse
Date of Birth – her d.o.b

Name: Mom's name
Date of Birth: Mom's D.O.B
Address: Mom's home address
Telephone: Mom's number
Relationship: Mother

Attached

1. Letter of Employment

2. Copies of PR Cards

3. Pay Stub x 2

4. Bank statement x 4

5. Copy of Passport showing relationship with my mother

--------------------

Finally, make sure your dad gets health insurance in India before he comes. This is not needed for the visa application, you can get it afterwards, but it's very important in case he gets sick or something while he's visiting. Canadian hospitals are far more expensive and you cannot buy insurance ex post facto.

Reactions: newbutterfly

gayathry84

Star Member
Dec 30, 2015
Thanks guys and sorry for the late response. We submitted the application and just today he gave his Biometrics. any idea how much time it may take from here? I hope there isn't any rejection :(