+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa for Mother and Partner

Hamidishfaq

Dec 16, 2019
Hi All,

Hope you are doing well. I am writing this post on behalf of a friend. He is from Colombia and moved to Canada in late 2018 for his Masters. He then got a work permit, started working and has his PR application in process. He now wants to invite his mother to visit him in the summer for a couple of weeks if the COVID 19 situation gets better.

His mom is currently living with her boyfriend and they are in a common law partner relationship. She and her partner applied for a US visa together and received it without any issues, however, for Canada, it is a bit more complicated and he needs some guidance. There are certain documents needed to prove/claim your common law partnership status, those documents in Colombia are issued in Spanish and the US consulate does process documents provided in Spanish, Canadian visa office however, doesn’t. He now has two options:

1- Get the documents translated to english, attested by a public notary(which btw is an issue in Colombia as notaries there don’t usually attest english translations for some reason and so it’d be a hassle and expensive) and submit it to the office.

2- He can have his mom and her partner apply for the visas separately and not disclose their relationship. He is concerned that since they have received a US visa, for which they had declared their partnership, that a background check might reveal this information and the IRCC might classify that as misrepresentation and deny the visa.

If someone could kindly provide their professional/experiential suggestion, he’d be really grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Humpholito24

Sep 20, 2019
I believe the first option would be ideal since the second option, as you mentioned, Canada and the US share information.

Hamidishfaq

Dec 16, 2019
Are there ways it can be notarized, maybe in another country like the US? I not sure if country matters as long as you have their affidavit.
Travelling to another country for notarization in these times is probably not a great idea haha. But I think he will just have to spend some extra money to get it done over there somehow.

Humpholito24

Sep 20, 2019
Travelling to another country for notarization in these times is probably not a great idea haha. But I think he will just have to spend some extra money to get it done over there somehow.
I meant like mail-in services due to the pandemic etc, or you have to be there in person?