+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa for Fiancée

sansnom

Mar 10, 2017
I recently engaged with my fiancée (Chinese citizen, Australian PR) and we are planning a wedding overseas in August. I'd like invite her to visit Canada before the wedding (June - August) to see my parents and friends. As the fiancé(e) class has long been abolished, it seems the visitor visa is the only option.
Our situations are little bit complex as my fiancée does not work and hence I will cover all her expenses.

I wonder if we have to convince the visa officer that she does not have intention to stay in Canada permanently? (She actually does not intend to migrate to Canada for real). If we have to, what kind of evidence do you guys suggest? Would holding a real estate and PR status in Australia be enough?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Our situations are little bit complex as my fiancée does not work and hence I will cover all her expenses.
Your finances are supplementary. She needs to demonstrate that she can afford the visit with her own finances.

I wonder if we have to convince the visa officer that she does not have intention to stay in Canada permanently? (She actually does not intend to migrate to Canada for real).
She needs to convince the visa officer that she won't stay beyond her 2-3 weeks visit. A three months' visit from June-August is too long.

If we have to, what kind of evidence do you guys suggest? Would holding a real estate and PR status in Australia be enough?
Real estate is one strong tie to return to, but it is not an active one. Does she have a mortgage? If yes, how does she pay that considering she is not working?

Her PR status in Australia per se won't help on it's own.... unless she will become an Australian citizen in the near future, and she can include evidence to confirm the same.

Other suggestions:
1. Evidence of your wedding overseas (hopefully, it is scheduled shortly after she returns from her intended visit to Canada): Copies of receipts for the venue/florists, marriage license, invitations sent out to family/friends, plane tickets, etc

2. Has she traveled to other visa-required countries?

3. Does she live with dependent family members (who depend on her for their well-being)?

4. Does she volunteer for social/charity causes? Or maybe if she is a member of a sports club/similar activity.... and has an event to return to?

5. Can she prove any other must-return-to-by-a-specific-date event (family or other commitments)?

sansnom

Mar 10, 2017
Thanks a lot for the valuable information.

Your finances are supplementary. She needs to demonstrate that she can afford the visit with her own finances.
I hate to say, but she probably won't be able to afford the visit by herself. That's why I am paying for all her expenses.

She needs to convince the visa officer that she won't stay beyond her 2-3 weeks visit. A three months' visit from June-August is too long.
I see, I guess we

Real estate is one strong tie to return to, but it is not an active one. Does she have a mortgage? If yes, how does she pay that considering she is not working?
Yes, she has a mortgage, her parents and I are subsiding her mortgage.

Her PR status in Australia per se won't help on it's own.... unless she will become an Australian citizen in the near future, and she can include evidence to confirm the same.
Good point. She just applied Australian citizenship, it will likely take a year. We will definitely include this evidence.

Other suggestions:
1. Evidence of your wedding overseas (hopefully, it is scheduled shortly after she returns from her intended visit to Canada): Copies of receipts for the venue/florists, marriage license, invitations sent out to family/friends, plane tickets, etc
Good point. Our wedding is scheduled right after she leaves Canada.

2. Has she traveled to other visa-required countries?
She has visited U.S.A. once (Honolulu, HI).

3. Does she live with dependent family members (who depend on her for their well-being)?
Nope, she lives by herself...

4. Does she volunteer for social/charity causes? Or maybe if she is a member of a sports club/similar activity.... and has an event to return to?
Unfortunately no...

5. Can she prove any other must-return-to-by-a-specific-date event (family or other commitments)?
The only must-return I can think of right now is she need attend test and ceremony for her citizenship application, although we don't know the date yet.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I hate to say, but she probably won't be able to afford the visit by herself. That's why I am paying for all her expenses.
I would suggest that her parents, and not you, should support her visit financially. This would indicate lesser dependence on you = Lesser possibility of overstaying.

For this: A letter of financial support from her parents + 4-6 months' bank statements (theirs) + their tax returns + any other evidence of liquid finances + her birth certificate.

Yes, she has a mortgage, her parents and I are subsiding her mortgage.
Do try and include some property-related evidence to indicate that she must return. Something which her parents cannot do.

Good point. She just applied Australian citizenship, it will likely take a year. We will definitely include this evidence.
This is one strong tie/reason to return to Australia. Do include all relevant evidence + an explanation.

Good point. Our wedding is scheduled right after she leaves Canada.
Another strong reason.... do include as many evidence as possible.

Also, if you intend to move to Australia after your wedding then do include evidence for your employment (for example).... or explain that you are paying the mortgage for property owned by her because you intend to temporarily move there. Do be careful how you word it considering her future spousal sponsorship for Canada.

She has visited U.S.A. once (Honolulu, HI).
I suggest she include a Travel History explanation (in a tabular format, reverse chronological order for the last 10 years): Visa details + entry/exit dates + purpose of each visit + colour scan these visas.

She must declare visa refusals to any country (if applicable).

The only must-return I can think of right now is she need attend test and ceremony for her citizenship application, although we don't know the date yet.
Quite honestly, she does not have a very strong application because she young, not employed and does not have any financial resources. You will need to think of another 1-2 more reasons for her to return to Australia. For example, her property + if she is studying + a family commitment (or wedding/event in the immediate family or one of her best friends), etc

sansnom

Mar 10, 2017
Quite honestly, she does not have a very strong application because she young, not employed and does not have any financial resources. You will need to think of another 1-2 more reasons for her to return to Australia. For example, her property + if she is studying + a family commitment (or wedding/event in the immediate family or one of her best friends), etc
Agreed. Our case is very weak for disapprove immigration intention. If she is refused purely because of immigration intention, will there be any negative impact for future TRV and family sponsorship application after we marry?

sansnom

Mar 10, 2017
Another thought, if she cannot disprove her immigration intention, can we declare that I will file family sponsorship as soon as we get married and seek for enter Canada with dual intention?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Agreed. Our case is very weak for disapprove immigration intention. If she is refused purely because of immigration intention, will there be any negative impact for future TRV and family sponsorship application after we marry?
TRV refusal could be for any reasons, and not just for the intention to immigrate.

No, a TRV refusal won't impact her PR application.

Another thought, if she cannot disprove her immigration intention, can we declare that I will file family sponsorship as soon as we get married and seek for enter Canada with dual intention?
IMO, that's not a good idea. The other alternative would be to file for her PR after you get married.... and then apply for her TRV after her PR file is transferred to the Sydney visa office

sansnom

Mar 10, 2017
TRV refusal could be for any reasons, and not just for the intention to immigrate.

No, a TRV refusal won't impact her PR application.

IMO, that's not a good idea. The other alternative would be to file for her PR after you get married.... and then apply for her TRV after her PR file is transferred to the Sydney visa office
Thanks a lot for these valuable information. It helps a lot for us deciding when she should plan to visit. I guess filing PR first is the safest.

sansnom

Mar 10, 2017
Updates:
Her visitor visa is approved although taking longer than posted timeline.
We declared that I would file family sponsorship for her once we get married and seeking for entry with dual intention. We submitted all documents as if we were to apply for family sponsorship, based on the family sponsorship checklist. We also submitted our wedding reservations overseas and confirmation of her Australian citizenship application.

Thank you again all that provided valuable information.

Reactions: bellaluna

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Updates:
We declared that I would file family sponsorship for her once we get married and seeking for entry with dual intention. We submitted all documents as if we were to apply for family sponsorship, based on the family sponsorship checklist. We also submitted our wedding reservations overseas and confirmation of her Australian citizenship application.

Glad she's been approved. Congratulations :)

Sarab26

Star Member
Apr 28, 2018
Updates:

Hi, i am in the same boat. Can u please give more details of what papers did u submit. thanks in advance

deepshee

Nov 15, 2020
Updates:

Hey,
I'm kinda in the same boat.

Just wanted to know what was the duration of TRV she got?
6 months or lesser?

Thank you