+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa for Colmbians

ManuelMaegi

Jun 15, 2019
Hello

My girlfriend wants to come to visit me from Colombia and we are trying to get her the visitor visa.
There is not much guiding information on the immigration website so i really hope i can find some information here.

1) How do you do the biometrics?

2) How strictly they look at your funds, what is the approximate minimum amount that has to be on the account and has someone ever used a friends account who will help you financially if needed? In this case my girlfriend has less money than i have and i would like to help her financially for now.

3) What is the best way to prove that you are not going to overstay your visa?

4) If you got the visitor visa, how long was your visa valid for?

Actually she wants to stay here and look for a job. I'm working here in Yukon, Dawson village with work visa.
Unfortunately there's no working holiday visa for Colombians but i know a local home and hardware shop's boss who can write her a job offer and she could start another type of visa application while she's already in here with visitor visa.
Can this be explained in my invitation letter for example?
Like trying to tell them that we are planning to stay in Canada about 1 year or so and work in Yukon(where they actually struggle to find workers)? You think this would be something they like or they really need proof of leaving the country instead? (ticket out of the country)

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Manuel

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
To have the highest chance of approval, she will need to demonstrate that she has strong ties to her home country and has no plans on remaining in Canada long term. Strong ties are things like proof of employment, property ownership and other assets. It would be best if she can show that she has enough funds to pay for the trip. If she doesn't have enough funds and has to rely on someone else to pay for all or part of her trip, this will weaken her application. Unless she has extensive previous travel to countries requiring visas such as the US, UK, Australia, etc. she should request a 2-3 week trip at most. If you tell them she plans to remain in Canada for a year or look for a job - that will pretty much guarantee refusal since it will be clear she is not a genuine visitor but has plans to remain in Canada long term. Do not book an airline ticket now - just provide an itinerary.

Note that a job offer isn't sufficient for her to apply for a work permit once she's here. The employer must also obtain an approved LMIA.

Reactions: ManuelMaegi

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hello

My girlfriend wants to come to visit me from Colombia and we are trying to get her the visitor visa.
There is not much guiding information on the immigration website so i really hope i can find some information here.

2) How strictly they look at your funds, what is the approximate minimum amount that has to be on the account and has someone ever used a friends account who will help you financially if needed? In this case my girlfriend has less money than i have and i would like to help her financially for now.

Actually she wants to stay here and look for a job. I'm working here in Yukon, Dawson village with work visa.
Unfortunately there's no working holiday visa for Colombians but i know a local home and hardware shop's boss who can write her a job offer and she could start another type of visa application while she's already in here with visitor visa.
Like trying to tell them that we are planning to stay in Canada about 1 year or so and work in Yukon(where they actually struggle to find workers)? You think this would be something they like or they really need proof of leaving the country instead? (ticket out of the country)

Thank you in advance!

Manuel
1) Biometrics - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/where-to-give-biometrics.asp
2&3) @scylla answered this
4) If approved, they usually give a multiple entry visa that is valid for 10 years, or till the expiry of the passport, whichever is sooner. That's just the visa validity period, it doesn't mean she can stay for 10 years. When you arrive at the border (or land at the airport) in Canada, CBSA decides how long to let you in for. The maximum is six months, but they can choose to let her in for a shorter period.

Reactions: ManuelMaegi

ManuelMaegi

Jun 15, 2019
Thank you so much for the answer!
I digest the information and get back to you if you don't mind?

Cheers

Manuel

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Employer getting a LMIA is expensive and takes a few months. Then WP takes a few more months so your gf would really be looking at an around a 6 month waiting period if she was approved.

Maryheth

Jan 24, 2018
Hello

Thank you in advance!

Manuel
Hello Manuel,

I am Colombian and a couple of years back I asked for the tourist visa and was granted very easy without problems, but as long you want to do it because she wants to find a job there, is really probably that result in a denied process. I would do it in an easy way, ask for a tourist visa, saying that she is going to stay a reasonable time, and once she arrived she can apply for an extended permit (six months) and then she can try to get a job. immigrate is no that easy always.. so avoid to tell then she wants to immigrate and get a job because the intention of the tourist visa is totally diferent.