+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

visitor visa for canada

amirshaikh88

May 17, 2016
Hello everyone,
I seek help regarding visitor visa application. My wife and I are permanent residents of Canada. My wife's sis got invitation letter from Toronto university to attend seminar for a week. She is practicing Veterinary in India.
She will be visiting us and staying in Canada for at least a month.

Can experts please advice what precautions to take while applying for visitor visa.

How she can mention that she have a sister living in Canada without presenting risk to entry to Canada.
what sort of fund she have to present. She don't have any property back home.
Is her current job tie up back home would be enough or she need to present stronger tie ups.

Appreciate your time!
Thanks
Amir

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It doesn't sound like her primary purpose for coming to Canada is the seminar. It sounds like her primary purpose for coming to Canada is to visit as a tourist. If that's her primary purpose then she should state that and not try to use the seminar to manufacture a reason for coming to Canada.

To be approved, she will want to show that she is employed and include a leave letter from her employer. She will also need to demonstrate that she has sufficient funds to pay for her trip to Canada.

She should request a visit of 2-3 weeks at most.

Reactions: visatest

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hello everyone,
I seek help regarding visitor visa application. My wife and I are permanent residents of Canada. My wife's sis got invitation letter from Toronto university to attend seminar for a week. She is practicing Veterinary in India.
She will be visiting us and staying in Canada for at least a month.

Can experts please advice what precautions to take while applying for visitor visa.

How she can mention that she have a sister living in Canada without presenting risk to entry to Canada.
what sort of fund she have to present. She don't have any property back home.
Is her current job tie up back home would be enough or she need to present stronger tie ups.

Appreciate your time!
Thanks
Amir
1. Has she attended similar seminars abroad? Has she traveled abroad to any visa-required countries?

2. Who will be paying for this seminar and the visit?

3. The fact that your wife is her sister will be stated in the Family Information form.

4. Does her employment pay well as per the average salary standards in India?

5. Does she have any financial investments? Credit cards?

6. I would not use a term like "at least a month" nor "staying in Canada". Both phrases have the potential of being considered as a long-stay visitor

Reactions: visatest

amirshaikh88

May 17, 2016
It doesn't sound like her primary purpose for coming to Canada is the seminar. It sounds like her primary purpose for coming to Canada is to visit as a tourist. If that's her primary purpose then she should state that and not try to use the seminar to manufacture a reason for coming to Canada.

To be approved, she will want to show that she is employed and include a leave letter from her employer. She will also need to demonstrate that she has sufficient funds to pay for her trip to Canada.

She should request a visit of 2-3 weeks at most.
Thank you very much for reply Scylla.
Her visiting purpose is strictly work related experience. She has work connection and that is how she was able to get the invitation. My thoughts are not to declare info about relatives that changes her primary purpose as you mentioned.
Could she include both primary and secondary reasons? she has invitation letter which includes duration of seminar. Plus she would get leave from work for the same reason.
thanks!

amirshaikh88

May 17, 2016
1. Has she attended similar seminars abroad? Has she traveled abroad to any visa-required countries? - she attended some seminars in other provinces within country, no abroad though

2. Who will be paying for this seminar and the visit? - she will be paying herself.

3. The fact that your wife is her sister will be stated in the Family Information form. - Noted

4. Does her employment pay well as per the average salary standards in India? - Yes.

5. Does she have any financial investments? Credit cards? - No investments but bank balance approx 10k CAD

6. I would not use a term like "at least a month" nor "staying in Canada". Both phrases have the potential of being considered as a long-stay. - Got it. what I meant to say its very long travel from India and she would want to stay a week more with her sister - secondary reason.
visitor

Thanks for input Bryanna. Please see comments above.

visatest

May 24, 2016
London Ontario Canada
Yup, that would be a dead give away to a CBSA Officer or just about anyone else from Immigration. Detention awaiting a flight home that you pay for is not a nice place to be.

Last edited: