+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa for Boyfriend - I am a Canadian currently not residing in Canada

Feb 25, 2019
Hello everyone, I am in need of advice.

My boyfriend and I are planning to visit Canada for two weeks this December to spend Christmas with my parents who are currently living there. He will be meeting them in person for the first time. My boyfriend and I are currently residing in the Philippines, he is not a Canadian resident but I am a Dual Citizen.

We both work full-time jobs, and he is more than able to fund the trip on his own (his savings account contains roughly around $10,000 CAD and investments amounting to roughly $15,000 CAD). He was previously granted an Australian visa last year, which was used when we went to Sydney for 10 days last October. He has also traveled to various Asian countries, but I don't think that helps. Just to add, I have no plans of staying in Canada for longer than those two weeks as I am currently under a contract at my current job which ends at the end of 2020.

We were wondering who should write the invitation letter - my parents or myself. I was wondering what to put on the letter if I were to write it, and what should my parents put if they were to write it. Do I let them know that he is my boyfriend or just a close friend who wants to visit? We will be staying in my parents' house for the whole duration of the trip.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
IMO, it should be addressed from your parents. Here are the guidelines from IRCC:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/letter-invitation.html

Invitation letters are secondary evidence that will support but not decide an application. It seems to me that if your boyfriend duly submits complete and correct documents, his chances of getting approved for a TRV are good.

I daresay that you will have to disclose your relationship in the letter, and showing your contract till 2020 may help (Christmas 2019 is close to 2020 after all). If he has a similar contract end date, he should show it.

Also, no need to notarize it.

Feb 25, 2019
IMO, it should be addressed from your parents. Here are the guidelines from IRCC:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/letter-invitation.html

Invitation letters are secondary evidence that will support but not decide an application. It seems to me that if your boyfriend duly submits complete and correct documents, his chances of getting approved for a TRV are good.

I daresay that you will have to disclose your relationship in the letter, and showing your contract till 2020 may help (Christmas 2019 is close to 2020 after all). If he has a similar contract end date, he should show it.

Also, no need to notarize it.
So my parents should disclose in the letter that he and I are in a relationship and that they will be meeting him for the first time? What is the proper way to word it?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
So my parents should disclose in the letter that he and I are in a relationship and that they will be meeting him for the first time? What is the proper way to word it?
If you ask me, just offer enough information—not too much—just to establish how the inviter knows the invitee. They can say he’s in a relationship with their daughter and leave it at that.