+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa for Boyfriend from Philippines

iixxxor

Feb 11, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Hi, could someone please help me.

I'm a PR here in Edmonton since 2011. I went to the Philippines to finished my study last May 2016 and that's where I met my boyfriend. I got pregnant and has to go back here in Edmonton last December 2017. Now, I want to invite my boyfriend to visit me here in Canada so he would be on my side when I give birth to our baby this coming June. We are not engaged but we have lived together in their house for a period of 4 months.

He applied online. I already wrote a letter of invitation stating that he will visit me to accompany me when I give birth. He plan to stay here for only 2 weeks. We're almost done to all the requirements except for his financial statements, proof/ties to Philippines and proof of our relationship.

He is currently working at a factory as as Final Quality Inspector and his salary is just an average. He just recently open an account in the bank last month. Since he doesn't have savings yet, his parents agreed to help him put money on his account aside from his income. We plan to submit his online application by March.

Here is my questions:
1. How high was the chance of him getting a visitor visa?
2. How should we write a proof of our relationship? I have an ID from their city stating the same address as his. Can that be also serve as proof that we lived together, since we don't have any joined account or joined bills?
3. Is his bank statement will be accepted even if it's only active for 3 months? What other proof should we put then?
4. Is it okay to have his parents help him funding his trip?

Sorry if this is long, I just want to make things clear so you could help me. Thank you for answering.

Reactions: sherry1984

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. It's likely on the low side since CIC may have concerns he has plans on remaining here long term.
2. Proof of relationship isn't what's important. What is most important is for him to show very strong ties to his home country to demonstrate he is a genuine visitor and has no plans on remaining in Canada long term. He should show proof of employment, proof of any property ownership or rental, etc.
3. Yes - that's fine.
4. It would be better if he can fund his own trip.

He should keep his visit to 2-3 weeks.

Reactions: iixxxor

iixxxor

Feb 11, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
1. It's likely on the low side since CIC may have concerns he has plans on remaining here long term.
2. Proof of relationship isn't what's important. What is most important is for him to show very strong ties to his home country to demonstrate he is a genuine visitor and has no plans on remaining in Canada long term. He should show proof of employment, proof of any property ownership or rental, etc.
3. Yes - that's fine.
4. It would be better if he can fund his own trip.

He should keep his visit to 2-3 weeks.
Hi Scylla, thank you for answering my questions. I have some follow-up questions though, if you wouldn't mind answering.
1. He doesn't own any property and he lived with his parents. All we have is his record of employment and a letter of absence approved from his manager. Is that enough evidence as a strong ties to home country?
2. Although he will fund his own trip, his salary is not enough to have savings for his trip here that is why his parents help him put money on his account. Will the CIC gonna accept his bank statement with a record that there's another transaction putting money more than he can earn?
3. As you said, proof of relationship is not important but I want to know what kind of proof should I put? Since it is also one of the requirements in the application.

Your answers are really a big help for us.
By the way, yes, he will only visit me here for 2 weeks.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hi Scylla, thank you for answering my questions. I have some follow-up questions though, if you wouldn't mind answering.
1. He doesn't own any property and he lived with his parents. All we have is his record of employment and a letter of absence approved from his manager. Is that enough evidence as a strong ties to home country?
It depends on the context: salary and career. Based on what you shared, I don't think it's enough.

2. Although he will fund his own trip, his salary is not enough to have savings for his trip here that is why his parents help him put money on his account. Will the CIC gonna accept his bank statement with a record that there's another transaction putting money more than he can earn?
No, CIC does not like sudden large transactions at all, even if you provide an explanation.

3. As you said, proof of relationship is not important but I want to know what kind of proof should I put? Since it is also one of the requirements in the application.

Your answers are really a big help for us.
By the way, yes, he will only visit me here for 2 weeks.
Since you're just BF/GF and there is nothing formal (compared to a marriage certificate, or joint bank accounts), there's not a lot you can provide. Pictures or a letter.

Reactions: iixxxor

iixxxor

Feb 11, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
It depends on the context: salary and career. Based on what you shared, I don't think it's enough.

No, CIC does not like sudden large transactions at all, even if you provide an explanation.

Since you're just BF/GF and there is nothing formal (compared to a marriage certificate, or joint bank accounts), there's not a lot you can provide. Pictures or a letter.
Hi Bellaluna, thank you so much for your help.

iixxxor

Feb 11, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Hi there! I really need your help again right now. Could please someone answer me. Thank you in advance.
Regarding on this post, we have submitted my boyfriend's application and today I got a message stated that the application was refused.
This is what was written in his TRV application from VO.

1. You have not satisfied me that you would leave in Canada at the end of your stay as temporary resident. In reaching this decision, I considered several factors, including:
a. travel history
b. purpose of visit

2. You have not provided sufficient documentation to support your / your host's income and assets.

Now my questions are:

1a -
He have no travel history yet since it is his first time to apply for a visa and he just got his passport last year. What should we put about it?
1b - We wrote that I am pregnant and I want him to be on my side when I gave birth and also to meet my parents as his purpose of visit. However, I didn't attached any proofs that I am pregnant. Is that the case why the VO put this as a factor for refusal? Should I attached some proofs or should we change the reason of purpose of visit? We were also thinking of changing it and write that we want to get married in Canada as purpose of visit. Do you think it's a good idea?

2. We submitted his bank statements and employment letter as his proof for his income. Me and my parents' 2 recent pay stubs were also attached as proof for our income since I indicated that we're the one who will shoulder his expenses while staying in our home. What do you think the kind of documentation should I include aside from what we have submitted? Should I put our T4 as well as the document that we owned our house?

Sorry for the long post. I just want to explain everything so you could help me. I really appreciate your answers.

Last edited:

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
I just want to explain everything so you could help me. I really appreciate your answers.
Sorry to hear about the result, but you'd already been warned he was likely going to be refused. It isn't so much about the documents he submitted, but his profile.

It isn't about proving his reasons to go to Canada--it is about proving he will leave Canada after his stay, or his reasons to return to the Philippines. From what you described, he doesn't have as many ties to the Philippines that would prevent him from staying in Canada with you, who is pregnant with his child. It doesn't matter how much proof of your finances you and your family in Canada show. He has to show that HE can support the visit.

I don't think getting him into Canada on a TRV is possible, unless he gets a great job that pays well that he stays in for one year. You will have to marry him outside of Canada and sponsor him, unless he can apply for PR through an economic stream on his own.

Last edited:

iixxxor

Feb 11, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Sorry to hear about the result, but you'd already been warned he was likely going to be refused. It isn't so much about the documents he submitted, but his profile.

It isn't about proving his reasons to go to Canada--it is about proving he will leave Canada after his stay, or his reasons to return to the Philippines. From what you described, he doesn't have as many ties to the Philippines that would prevent him from staying in Canada with you, who is pregnant with his child. It doesn't matter how much proof of your finances you and your family in Canada show. He has to show that HE can support the visit.

I don't think getting him into Canada on a TRV is possible, unless he gets a great job that pays well that he stays in for one year. You will have to marry him outside of Canada and sponsor him, unless he can apply for PR through an economic stream on his own.
I see. That's we were thinking after getting his result. We will talk about it thoroughly and maybe that's the only way he can go here in Canada. By the way, I really appreciate your answer. It really helped a lot. Thank you.