+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa for an old lady refused

carolcpaula

Nov 28, 2017
Hi everyone

I came to ask for an advise since I am sad that my mother-in-las`s sister visa has been refused.

Step by step:

My mother in law wants hers sister to come to Canada tot visit her for a period of max 5 months. Her`s sister is a lady almost 70 years old. She has never been married and never worked officially in her`s home country. She does not have a good travel history too and proof of funds - my mother in law will sponsor her.

We sent her application with bank statement of my mother in law, invitation letter specifying that she would be responsible financially for her, hers, food, flight tickets and etc...but it still was refused.

They found she won`t go back to her`s country and she has no enough proof of money.

Now questions:

I have decided to re-apply. As she does not have fund to proof her stay in Canada, how should I answer question 3 on section" Details of visit to Canada" (IMM5257)? Since she has no money to proof in hers name?!?!

We did not submitted a flight ticket on hers application, since it is f. expensive and we did not want to buy a ticket and take the risk of being refused (as it was...)

What would you suggest us?

Thank you so much,

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
My mother in law wants hers sister to come to Canada tot visit her for a period of max 5 months.
Five months is a very long visit + it indicates weak ties to the applicant's home country = Lesser chances of returning home = TRV refusal

Her`s sister is a lady almost 70 years old.
Her age won't negatively affect the TRV decision.

She has never been married and never worked officially in her`s home country. She does not have a good travel history too and proof of funds - my mother in law will sponsor her.
These are some of the reasons why she was refused.

Your mom-in-law can invite her. However, her sister must prove she has the finances to support her visit + airfare.

I have decided to re-apply.
Before you consider reapplying for your mom-in-law's sister:
1. Does her sister own any property/land in her home country? Or does she live in a rented home and the rent contract is in her name?
2. Does she live with any family members who are dependent on her for their well-being?
3. Can an immediate family member in her home country financially support her visit?
4. What is the purpose of her visit?
5. Has she traveled to any visa-required countries? Or abroad to any other? If yes, for how long did she visit typically?
6. Can she prove she must return home by a specific date for some event or reason?

We did not submitted a flight ticket on hers application, since it is f. expensive and we did not want to buy a ticket and take the risk of being refused (as it was...)
It's not advisable to book confirmed tickets before visas are issued

carolcpaula

Nov 28, 2017
Five months is a very long visit + it indicates weak ties to the applicant's home country = Lesser chances of returning home = TRV refusal

Her age won't negatively affect the TRV decision.

These are some of the reasons why she was refused.

Your mom-in-law can invite her. However, her sister must prove she has the finances to support her visit + airfare.

Before you consider reapplying for your mom-in-law's sister:
1. Does her sister own any property/land in her home country? Or does she live in a rented home and the rent contract is in her name? yes
2. Does she live with any family members who are dependent on her for their well-being? no
3. Can an immediate family member in her home country financially support her visit? i will check on it
4. What is the purpose of her visit? support emotionally hers sister that just lost hers husband
5. Has she traveled to any visa-required countries? Or abroad to any other? If yes, for how long did she visit typically? yes, only for few days in a ship! :/
6. Can she prove she must return home by a specific date for some event or reason? not sure. i will check on it

It's not advisable to book confirmed tickets before visas are issued

chlo.eee

Mar 18, 2016
Hi, did you include a cover letter explaining the purpose of the visit? A good cover letter should be able to explain purpose of visit, plans in Canada, and indicate ties/responsibility back home. Think of including proof of doctor's appointment, family members, or anything substantive that will indicate your MIL's sister is intending to return home at the end of her visit.