+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa for a Russian

dashads

Jul 6, 2022
Finally received a passport request for my parents' TRV - applied on March 2, 2022, received a passport request on Feb 27, 2023 - INSANE.
What I did that may have helped:
- Requested ATIP notes on Jan 3 (still haven't received them)
- Contacted IRCC via online form (Aug 22, Jan 23 - haven't heard back on the Jan request yet)
- Contacted IRCC via MP - in Summer 22, Fall 22, Winter 23. They kept pushing on my behalf and I think this is what helped
- I have a medical condition that strengthens my application and supports my parents' travel plan for Fall 2023; I attached it to the application in Feb 23 and informed my MP accordingly. They first gave me a bs response that it's still too early and if you don't hear back from us by May 23 let us know, but I kept pushing. So I think this helped too

I am now trying to figure out how to send the passport in and which fees to pay, but this is such a small problem compared to the 1-year long wait. Best of luck to everybody. Hope you get to see your loved ones soon.

Reactions: Idilia555

Idilia555

Jun 14, 2021
Finally received a passport request for my parents' TRV - applied on March 2, 2022, received a passport request on Feb 27, 2023 - INSANE.
What I did that may have helped:
- Requested ATIP notes on Jan 3 (still haven't received them)
- Contacted IRCC via online form (Aug 22, Jan 23 - haven't heard back on the Jan request yet)
- Contacted IRCC via MP - in Summer 22, Fall 22, Winter 23. They kept pushing on my behalf and I think this is what helped
- I have a medical condition that strengthens my application and supports my parents' travel plan for Fall 2023; I attached it to the application in Feb 23 and informed my MP accordingly. They first gave me a bs response that it's still too early and if you don't hear back from us by May 23 let us know, but I kept pushing. So I think this helped too

I am now trying to figure out how to send the passport in and which fees to pay, but this is such a small problem compared to the 1-year long wait. Best of luck to everybody. Hope you get to see your loved ones soon.
Thank you for sharing and congrats! I really hope it will be helpful for others.

JL.

Jan 28, 2016
Congrats, dashads ! Happy your parents finally got it, so much effort to make it happen - but totally worth it!

Adding to the stats: my parents applied for visitor visa mid May 2022 - still nothing, not the first time applying (5 or more since 2011 - always got their visa) and definitely the first time it takes more than two weeks - almost a year at this point. And already 2 months overdue according to the online tracker. Oh well...

Reactions: Idilia555

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Congrats, dashads ! Happy your parents finally got it, so much effort to make it happen - but totally worth it!

Adding to the stats: my parents applied for visitor visa mid May 2022 - still nothing, not the first time applying (5 or more since 2011 - always got their visa) and definitely the first time it takes more than two weeks - almost a year at this point. And already 2 months overdue according to the online tracker. Oh well...
Posted processing times are just estimates and often incorrect so wouldn’t base anything on this. In terms of TRVs from Russia proof of strong ties and that people will return to Russia after their visit will be extremely important. Although frustrating there are valid concerns about visitors from Russia because many aren’t returning home.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If this happens IRCC will likely use their application database to identify certain applications for approval not all applications. For example they may identify parents of PRs and citizens for bulk approval for example except for a few countries with high chance of not returning home

Idilia555

Jun 14, 2021
If this happens IRCC will likely use their application database to identify certain applications for approval not all applications. For example they may identify parents of PRs and citizens for bulk approval for example except for a few countries with high chance of not returning home
No one knows how they going to do it. And are they going to do it all. We can only suggest.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No one knows how they going to do it. And are they going to do it all. We can only suggest.
Yes nobody knows but I wouldn’t count on this suddenly leading to all Russian visas being approved. Canada seems to be being very cautious and selective when it comes TRVs from Russia.

Idilia555

Jun 14, 2021

I appreciate you for sharing your time line. I think it is good that people can use this forum to estimate their waiting time for visa as there is not many sources for this these days. In my situation when my mother's visa application was overdue for 1 month I contacted my MP and it helped. Her visa was approved. Others tried this as well. Unfortunately it did not help them but it is worth trying