+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa Extension

Btremblay

Mar 14, 2019
Hello,

I always feel pretty dumb asking questions like this but I've tried to do research and I'm getting conflicting answers.

Me and my wife got married Feb 2nd 2020. She is an American and I am Canadian. We will be applying for PR under family class sponsorship once the marriage certificate gets back to us. Her visitor status ends April 10th, 2020 and I am worried that we won't be able to send in the application in time. We are going to request an extension for her visitor status either way. I just wanted to clarify, is it a visitor record we would be applying for? What information do we need to put in order for her visa to be extended? (immigration, travelling, ect.)

From what I read, once you apply for a visitor visa extension, you will be on implied status until you hear a response even if her current status expires. How would this work with the PR application? Should I provide proof in the application that we applied for an extension?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

I always feel pretty dumb asking questions like this but I've tried to do research and I'm getting conflicting answers.

Me and my wife got married Feb 2nd 2020. She is an American and I am Canadian. We will be applying for PR under family class sponsorship once the marriage certificate gets back to us. Her visitor status ends April 10th, 2020 and I am worried that we won't be able to send in the application in time. We are going to request an extension for her visitor status either way. I just wanted to clarify, is it a visitor record we would be applying for? What information do we need to put in order for her visa to be extended? (immigration, travelling, ect.)

From what I read, once you apply for a visitor visa extension, you will be on implied status until you hear a response even if her current status expires. How would this work with the PR application? Should I provide proof in the application that we applied for an extension?

See here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay.html.

She can apply for PR while on Implied Status and yes, include proof of the extension in the PR app.

Reactions: Btremblay