+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa Extension

edinera

Apr 16, 2016
Hi all,

My Mother got her visitor visa approved after a denial. The second time, we had asked for a 3-week visit stating that i was pregnant and she is coming to Canada to visit her first grandchild. We had stated that she would return after 3 weeks sighting her work place requirements and having to look after my grandmother who is old.

Unfortunately, I had complications during my delivery and my recovery time has been long. So my mother has stayed back for 4 months now. My baby is so very attached to my mother that only she can pacify her. With all this having said, Is it advisable to apply for a 6-month visa extension after her first 6 months is over ? Or is it better that she leaves the country within the first 6 months ? If so, will it be ok for her to return to Canada again within a month or 2 ?

None of her ties back home has changed. Her work place is awaiting her return and so is my grand mother !

Thanks in advance.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
edinera said:
Hi all,

My Mother got her visitor visa approved after a denial. The second time, we had asked for a 3-week visit stating that i was pregnant and she is coming to Canada to visit her first grandchild. We had stated that she would return after 3 weeks sighting her work place requirements and having to look after my grandmother who is old.

Unfortunately, I had complications during my delivery and my recovery time has been long. So my mother has stayed back for 4 months now. My baby is so very attached to my mother that only she can pacify her. With all this having said, Is it advisable to apply for a 6-month visa extension after her first 6 months is over ? Or is it better that she leaves the country within the first 6 months ? If so, will it be ok for her to return to Canada again within a month or 2 ?

None of her ties back home has changed. Her work place is awaiting her return and so is my grand mother !

Thanks in advance.
Your mother has shown that she has no reason to go back:

- it has been proven that your grandmother doesn't need her
- her job is not a tie to her home country
- she has already abused Canada's good will of believing she would leave within 3 weeks

Due to this an extension would be tricky to get approved. In the other hand leaving and coming back would be behaving like a person who lives in Canada and not a visitor. Letting her in for a short period would not be advisable, as she is just looking for a way to apply for an extension.

There seems to be no reason to prefer one over the other.

IMO she has two options:
- she should leave at the end of her stay and then apply for a Supervisa. When she gets it she can come and go freely.
- she should leave and come back leaving a gap of at least the same amount of time she stayed in Canada.

Good luck.

edinera

Apr 16, 2016
Thank you for your reply.

>- it has been proven that your grandmother doesn't need her
>- her job is not a tie to her home country
>- she has already abused Canada's good will of believing she would leave within 3 weeks

Wouldn't all the above said reasons affect her super-visa application as well ?

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
edinera said:
Thank you for your reply.

>- it has been proven that your grandmother doesn't need her
>- her job is not a tie to her home country
>- she has already abused Canada's good will of believing she would leave within 3 weeks

Wouldn't all the above said reasons affect her super-visa application as well ?
Not really.

In fact she has a good reason to apply for a Supervisa as now her daughter and grandaughter are in Canada. That is the whole point of Supervisa.

As the Supervisa is meant for stays longer than 2 years, it is understood that ties to homecountry are secondary and can be waived (to a certain extent).

edinera

Apr 16, 2016
Would applying for super-visa affect her current visitor visa ? I mean, say that the super visa application does not get approved, will the visitor visa granted earlier would still be valid ?

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
edinera said:
Would applying for super-visa affect her current visitor visa ? I mean, say that the super visa application does not get approved, will the visitor visa granted earlier would still be valid ?
Double checking you might have a chance to apply for a "parents-grandparents" extension. I would apply, your chances might be good. Please use the tool:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/getting-started.asp

Answering your question, yes if the Supervsa is refused the TRV remains valid.

satyam_shivam

May 12, 2018
@Jalex23
Hi , is it okay to apply parents extension using the online application portal. we are thinking of applying it using my dad's account that we used earlier to apply for visitor visa? would it be alright ?

satyam_shivam

May 12, 2018
Use the same account, which was used for the original application.
@Jalex23
Thank you very much for your time.

I would be grateful if you could also let me know - under Proof of means of financial support, can I upload a letter written by myself Addressed to IRCC explaining the reason for extension and that i would take care of their finances.

- there is another category under optional documents as ’client information’ - can we upload a letter written by my parents explaining the reason for extension and that they have strong ties back in home country such as property , another child , etc

i am just confused about which letter should go where especially when I am supporting them financially. Proof of means of financial support doesn’t mention that you can show a letter from family that is going to bear your finances.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@Jalex23
Thank you very much for your time.

I would be grateful if you could also let me know - under Proof of means of financial support, can I upload a letter written by myself Addressed to IRCC explaining the reason for extension and that i would take care of their finances.

- there is another category under optional documents as ’client information’ - can we upload a letter written by my parents explaining the reason for extension and that they have strong ties back in home country such as property , another child , etc

i am just confused about which letter should go where especially when I am supporting them financially. Proof of means of financial support doesn’t mention that you can show a letter from family that is going to bear your finances.
A TRV requires that the applicant show their own finances. You can include your savings as extra information,

It looks like your parents arrived soon after you did and now are extending so it looks like your parents moved with you to Canada. That will be viewed negatively. Think you need to be prepared that now or eventually your parents will be denied an extension.

satyam_shivam

May 12, 2018
A TRV requires that the applicant show their own finances. You can include your savings as extra information,
They arrived four months after i came here on PR.
We wanted to tour more that was our plan but couldn’t get leaves from office. Plus now the weather. Hence seeking extension for travel for another six months, will it still be taken otherwise. We dont plan to extend it over and over, just once

Last edited: