+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa Extension while PR is in Process

rekha88

Sep 6, 2014
Hi,

My husband is currently working in Canada on open work permit. His Work permit will expire on 15 May 2015. He will apply for Bridge extension at the end of Jan 2015.

I have recently applied for Visitor visa from India and got it till 1 May 2015. I am planning to go to Canada during the last week of Jan 2015.

Both of our PR is submitted in Nov 2014 and we are awaiting for AOR.

I need your valuable suggestions regarding the below cases:

1) Now that my PR is under process, will my Visitor visa get rejected when I apply for an extension after going to canada?
2) On the contrary, do I have an option of extending my visitor visa from India itself or will it get rejected if applied from here?

Please suggest.

Thank you in advance!

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
rekha88 said:
Hi,

My husband is currently working in Canada on open work permit. His Work permit will expire on 15 May 2015. He will apply for Bridge extension at the end of Jan 2015.

I have recently applied for Visitor visa from India and got it till 1 May 2015. I am planning to go to Canada during the last week of Jan 2015.

Both of our PR is submitted in Nov 2014 and we are awaiting for AOR.

I need your valuable suggestions regarding the below cases:

1) Now that my PR is under process, will my Visitor visa get rejected when I apply for an extension after going to canada?
2) On the contrary, do I have an option of extending my visitor visa from India itself or will it get rejected if applied from here?

Please suggest.

Thank you in advance!
As you have a TRV (visit visa) so you can enter in Canada as a visitor. Once you are in Canada you can extend your stay in Canada with the following options:-

1) you can apply for an extension to stay in Canada as a visitor. this application can ONLY be made from within Canada (you can not apply for visa extension from abroad) and the application for extension must be submitted before your visitor status expires(at least 30 days before your visa expiry) and you can submit it online. it has a very high approval rates(99%) specially in your case where your husband lives in canada plus you are in a process of a PR application. you will just be needing 150 dollars fee, a medical exam (if you already have submitted medical for your PR application you can use the same report), your husband details and proof of PR application (which can be payment receipt, file number etc). the processing time for this application can be from 15 days to 2 months.

During the application process if your visa expires you will still be allowed to stay in Canada on an implied status until CIC makes a decision on your application. On approval (usually for a duration of 6 months to 1 year) you will just get a Paper mailed to you called "Visitor Record".. thats it you will be good to remain in canada as a visitor ( you can extend your stays multiple times before expiry of each visitor record until you get your PR card).

2) depending on the type of PR application you have submitted. in most of the cases a spouse who has a PR application in process can apply for a open work permit.(Nowadays even before the first stage approval of PR application). it is as simple as above (option to apply online and high approval chances in your case). this option has an advantage over the visitor extension i.e you can work in Canada.

both the above options may also give you the option/eligibility to apply for health card, driving licence etc.

Hope it helps...and best wishes

rekha88

Sep 6, 2014
Thanks a lot Kriv for your inputs. It's of real great help. :)

I have a follow up question on the second point.

"2) depending on the type of PR application you have submitted. in most of the cases a spouse who has a PR application in process can apply for a open work permit.(Nowadays even before the first stage approval of PR application). it is as simple as above (option to apply online and high approval chances in your case). this option has an advantage over the visitor extension i.e you can work in Canada."

After coming to Canada, say in Feb 2015, if my husband has his bridge extension ready by then, instead of applying for Visitor Visa extension can I directly apply for Work Permit Visa or due to have to first go for Visitor visa extension and then after receiving the extension go for Work Permit? My visitor visa expires on 1 May 2015.

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
rekha88 said:
Thanks a lot Kriv for your inputs. It's of real great help. :)

I have a follow up question on the second point.

"2) depending on the type of PR application you have submitted. in most of the cases a spouse who has a PR application in process can apply for a open work permit.(Nowadays even before the first stage approval of PR application). it is as simple as above (option to apply online and high approval chances in your case). this option has an advantage over the visitor extension i.e you can work in Canada."

After coming to Canada, say in Feb 2015, if my husband has his bridge extension ready by then, instead of applying for Visitor Visa extension can I directly apply for Work Permit Visa or due to have to first go for Visitor visa extension and then after receiving the extension go for Work Permit? My visitor visa expires on 1 May 2015.
before answering this it is important to know under which category did you apply for pr, And wot is the current status of your husband?

rekha88

Sep 6, 2014
We have applied PR under PNP category. He got his PNP from Ontario. Using the same he has applied for PR for both of us in November 2014.

We are yet to receive AOR.

He is currently on Open Work Permit which will expire on 15 May 2015. He will apply for bridge extension in Feb 2015. After his bridge extension, I shall apply for my visitor visa extension using the same.