+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa extension request denied: What next?

AKamz

Jan 12, 2018
Hello Friends,

I have read at so many places on this site that if your request for visitor visa extension is denied, you have to leave immediately. My questions are:
1. How immediately?
Its not like we have to walk out of the country right, we need to book tickets which are so expensive if not booked in time. Is there a timeline to this 'immediately'?
2. Is there any alternate way to stay over? I was reading about 'Restoration of status within 90 days', can anyone try that or only people who are suggested to it in the refusal letter?
3. What happens when a person with no status (extension denied and visa expired) travel out of canada and then also comes back? Is it marked somewhere? Do the immigration people at the airport cause trouble? I mean any long term issues?

Thank you for your help in advance.
Regards

Reactions: Melita

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
1. How immediately?
Its not like we have to walk out of the country right, we need to book tickets which are so expensive if not booked in time. Is there a timeline to this 'immediately'?
As soon as possible, max. within 30 days of getting the refusal letter.

2. Is there any alternate way to stay over? I was reading about 'Restoration of status within 90 days', can anyone try that or only people who are suggested to it in the refusal letter?
Only if you are out of status i.e. your extension has been refused, but you have a genuine reason to want to stay (for example, you are applying for an inland spousal PR). Otherwise, the chances of restoring your status are slim.

3. What happens when a person with no status (extension denied and visa expired) travel out of canada and then also comes back? Is it marked somewhere? Do the immigration people at the airport cause trouble? I mean any long term issues?
No visa = Won't be allowed to board the flight to Canada.... Or entry will be denied if you arrive at a land border crossing

Reactions: AKamz

AKamz

Jan 12, 2018

Only if you are out of status i.e. your extension has been refused, but you have a genuine reason to want to stay (for example, you are applying for an inland spousal PR). Otherwise, the chances of restoring your status are slim.

No visa = Won't be allowed to board the flight to Canada.... Or entry will be denied if you arrive at a land border crossing
wrt #1:
Can you please share where is this timeline mentioned officially? I am unable to validate this. However, i do find this timeline quite reasonable because of the ticket availability and other logistics.

wrt#2:
Honestly i need to stay for like a month and half after the refusal. since you said, i get 30 days, i will have to stay for 2 more weeks (personal issue), will it be fine if i apply for restoration and then leave after 2 weeks (total 6 weeks after refusal)? i dont care about restoration. I just need to stay for 2 more weeks. I only intent to use restoration application to justify my stay.

wrt#3:
I have a multi entry visitor visa to canada. Are you saying they will reject my visa if i overstay? do they do that while i exit or when i come back again? or sometime in between?

Thank you for your response and i am sorry if i sound confused. I am :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
wrt #1:
Can you please share where is this timeline mentioned officially? I am unable to validate this. However, i do find this timeline quite reasonable because of the ticket availability and other logistics.

wrt#2:
Honestly i need to stay for like a month and half after the refusal. since you said, i get 30 days, i will have to stay for 2 more weeks (personal issue), will it be fine if i apply for restoration and then leave after 2 weeks (total 6 weeks after refusal)? i dont care about restoration. I just need to stay for 2 more weeks. I only intent to use restoration application to justify my stay.

wrt#3:
I have a multi entry visitor visa to canada. Are you saying they will reject my visa if i overstay? do they do that while i exit or when i come back again? or sometime in between?

Thank you for your response and i am sorry if i sound confused. I am :)
1. There is no official statement. You will be told to leave as soon as possible.

2. There is no point in applying for Restoration if you don't intend to remain in Canada. You will still be in Canada illegally while the Restoration app processes.

3. Your visa is fine. However, if you overstay, you will have a higher chance of being refused entry I'm future.

Reactions: Bryanna and AKamz

AKamz

Jan 12, 2018
Fine. Someone just recommended me that on rejection, i just have to leave the country and come back. Thats doesnt have to be my native country (which is India). I can just go to Mexico (because of Canadian Visa i dont need Mexican visa) and come back a day later. This will reset my visitor status in Canada for six months. This is awesome but i am scared if its true? Fingers crossed. Is that acceptable? if yes, i would definitely want to opt that way.
Thank you.

PMMEYOURPIC

Jul 27, 2014

Hi Bryanna, i had sent you a message regarding info on inland PR. Please reply when you get time.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Fine. Someone just recommended me that on rejection, i just have to leave the country and come back. Thats doesnt have to be my native country (which is India). I can just go to Mexico (because of Canadian Visa i dont need Mexican visa) and come back a day later. This will reset my visitor status in Canada for six months. This is awesome but i am scared if its true? Fingers crossed. Is that acceptable? if yes, i would definitely want to opt that way.
Thank you.
That is a great way to get yourself refused entry and possibly issued a one year Exclusion Order.

AKamz

Jan 12, 2018
Really? :(
i read couple of more posts here where people have done the same but gone to US. I dont know about Mexico.
Anyway, Thank you for your help. I am sure you know how much helpful your feedback is for so many people and this only makes this world better. :)
God bless.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Really? :(
i read couple of more posts here where people have done the same but gone to US. I dont know about Mexico.
Anyway, Thank you for your help. I am sure you know how much helpful your feedback is for so many people and this only makes this world better. :)
God bless.
US or Mexico. Same difference.

If you plan to return in the future, it's advisable to stay out of Canada for a similar duration as you spent in Canada

AntonPeach

Sep 2, 2014
Hello!

I hope your account is still active when reading this.. Were yiu able to leave Canada within the 30 days time span? Did you have any difficulty moving out of the country? Are you still able to come back to Canada? Did officers asked a lot of questions?

Thanks so much for your help, appreciate it!

AKamz

Jan 12, 2018
Hi there,

Yes I left before 30 days and I did not face any problem exiting or coming back to Canada. All good.
All the best

Thekkedath

Mar 19, 2019
Hi there,

Yes I left before 30 days and I did not face any problem exiting or coming back to Canada. All good.
All the best
Hi Akamz, Can you tell me after how long you returned back to Canada? is it just 1 day as mentioned above ie by visiting Mexico?