+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa Extension Questions

May 3, 2022
Hey all,

My six month visitor status is about to expire. I am applying for an extension, but I have some questions.

My girlfriend and I’s intention is for me to stay long enough to prove common law, and work on my PR. When I’m applying for my extension, when I give a reason for me to want to extent my stay, can I say this? Should I? What else can I include to increase my odds of being approved? I’ve never done this before.

Additionally, what happens if it is refused? Can I appeal that in some way? Can I leave and come back? What happens? Some posts I’ve seen on other sites say it’s fine to list common law as a reason to extend my visit, but I posted on another forum and two people said it was a bad idea because the point of a visitor visa is to return to my home country?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: iceman55

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey all,

My six month visitor status is about to expire. I am applying for an extension, but I have some questions.

My girlfriend and I’s intention is for me to stay long enough to prove common law, and work on my PR. When I’m applying for my extension, when I give a reason for me to want to extent my stay, can I say this? Should I? What else can I include to increase my odds of being approved? I’ve never done this before.

Additionally, what happens if it is refused? Can I appeal that in some way? Can I leave and come back? What happens? Some posts I’ve seen on other sites say it’s fine to list common law as a reason to extend my visit, but I posted on another forum and two people said it was a bad idea because the point of a visitor visa is to return to my home country?

Thanks in advance!
You should specifically say that you are requesting an extension so that you can complete a year of living together with your Canadian partner to become common law. Based on what we see on this forum, that pretty much guarantees the extension will be approved. Make sure you show funds to support your stay. This can be your funds and/or also your partner's bank statement or salary slips.

May 3, 2022
You should specifically say that you are requesting an extension so that you can complete a year of living together with your Canadian partner to become common law. Based on what we see on this forum, that pretty much guarantees the extension will be approved. Make sure you show funds to support your stay. This can be your funds and/or also your partner's bank statement or salary slips.
Thank you.
I do have one lingering concern. Someone told me that due to COVID, guidelines were more lax but that they’re becoming more involved again and that was their reasoning for saying that I should not extend with common law as my reason why. Is there any truth to this?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you.
I do have one lingering concern. Someone told me that due to COVID, guidelines were more lax but that they’re becoming more involved again and that was their reasoning for saying that I should not extend with common law as my reason why. Is there any truth to this?
I completely disagree.

This was true pre-COVID as well. Nothing changed due to COVID or now.