+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa extension question

Bspar

Star Member
Apr 3, 2017
I'm sponsoring my wife for PR and we arrived in Canada on July 12th. I'm sort of jumping the gun on this but it seems like PR is going to take a long time. I have a question about applying for an extension. I found on the checklist that they want a photocopy of your passport with the stamp of when you entered the country. But when we entered the country through Vancouver this summer we did the declaration thing through a computer terminal and gave the slip to the immigration officer. She asked why my wife was staying for 6 months and I told her because we had applied for her PR and then she let us through. But she didn't stamp anything in my wife's passport. At the time I thought it odd but I just assumed that these days everything is computerized anyways so her name and date of arrival is probably on some database somewhere. Is that going to be a problem if we have nothing to photocopy?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I'm sponsoring my wife for PR and we arrived in Canada on July 12th. I'm sort of jumping the gun on this but it seems like PR is going to take a long time. I have a question about applying for an extension. I found on the checklist that they want a photocopy of your passport with the stamp of when you entered the country. But when we entered the country through Vancouver this summer we did the declaration thing through a computer terminal and gave the slip to the immigration officer. She asked why my wife was staying for 6 months and I told her because we had applied for her PR and then she let us through. But she didn't stamp anything in my wife's passport. At the time I thought it odd but I just assumed that these days everything is computerized anyways so her name and date of arrival is probably on some database somewhere. Is that going to be a problem if we have nothing to photocopy?
No, it's not a problem. It's quite common to not receive a stamp. Just include a letter of explanation instead.

monish88

Star Member
Jul 16, 2014
No, it's not a problem. It's quite common to not receive a stamp. Just include a letter of explanation instead.
Hi canuck_in_uk,
Was trying to message you but it is giving me an error message. Can you drop a message in my inbox so that I can take it ahead from there? have some important questions to ask. Kinda urgent. Thanks in advance!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi canuck_in_uk,
Was trying to message you but it is giving me an error message. Can you drop a message in my inbox so that I can take it ahead from there? have some important questions to ask. Kinda urgent. Thanks in advance!
You are better off posting in the public section of the forum. I will answer in this thread.

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Include a letter of explanation
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5551-applying-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada.html

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks.
A friend of mine (who is a PR currently working in Canada) intends to marry his girl friend next year in India. However, nothing is confirmed yet.
He wishes to have her visitor visa approved file incase she was to come with him after marriage.

She is planning to apply independently (without any letter of invitation) saying that she plans to visit universities for personal meetings with program advisors in 2018, visit for a 3 week trip and then take a decision of studying in Canada for 2019. Do you think it's a good idea?
She is working full time (employer willing to give a vacation letter saying that she will return) and does not have any travel history.
They are planning for an Airbnb accommodation for her with a detailed itinerary.

Somehow the forums on this group say that a single person in his/her 20s or 30s is looked at in a different way. But I have seen single people visiting Canada. Your take on this?
Provided she actually intends to do that, it's fine. If she is lying about it, bad idea.