+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

visitor visa extension-PR sponsorship in progress..

GeorgeJoseph

Jul 22, 2009
Hello Sir/ Madam,

My son is here in canada with me as a visitor. He is an US citizen holding a US passport. He entered canada with me by just getting a stamp on his passport and no visa or nothing provided/ got for him. He is just 5 years old. I have already sent his PR sponsorship application to the CIC. It has been 4+ months since I had applied for his PR. I haven't heard anything from CIC on his application, except for the sponsorship approval letter. May be, the CIC strike is delaying the processing. oh my god.

Now, it is almost 5 months after he entered this country. since, he can only stay in canada for 6 months with that 'just stamping' put on his passport....i need to extend his temporary stay. When i checked for the online application, they say that i need to pay 75$ for the extension of stay approval. Since i am very close to the Niagra falls, i can go to the border & get a stamping once again and enter into the country. Is it not ? I no need to pay anything in that case. Am i rite ? Which is the best thing to do ? Would they object for the re-entry for him in that case, in the border. Please advise.

Also, if i extend via the online application, would we get any confirmation by email/ postal from the CIC on the extension of the visitor visa ? or How do we get to know the status of our extension request ? If we will get a confirmation from the CIC, within how many days will we get it ? Kindly advise.

Thanks a lot.

bye, Geo

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
I'm going through this process with my Korean wife who is here in Canada with me now waiting out the PR process. Here is what I think.

If you apply for an extension of your son's visitor's visa he will automatically have "implied status" allowing him to stay in Canada until CIC makes a decision on his extension application. You will get no confirmation of the receipt of the extension application and, to the best of my knowledge, it can't be tracked online. CIC tells me it usually takes 2-3 months to process a visa extension application. If it is approved, they will simply send you a letter confirming the extension, no further passport stamp is necessary. So, if I were you, I'd do that and ask for a one year extension.

If you go across the border and come back, the CBSA agent may admit him again, or he may not. If you want to guarantee he can stay with you, it's safer to just go the visa extension route.

You may also want to post this in the other forum for "Visitors". Good luck.