+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa Extension, Medical Test & Interim Extension

shilpab

Oct 13, 2019
Hi,

My mother is on a visit and her initial approved 6 months as visitor got over in November 2022. We had applied for an extension in September 2022 itself asking for another 6 months i.e. till May 2023. She stayed beyond Nov 2022 as a deemed approval. Finally, after 4 months, received a status update on January 8th 2023 that the application is approved (visitor record valid till February 8th 2023 e.g. exactly 30 days from when the application got approved ) and that she need needs to do medicals within 30 days (not directly mentioned but assume its contingent on the medicals ?). Today received another update that the application is approved till Feb 8th.

Our application was for extension till May 10th. My hopeful interpretation is that, the current approval till Feb 8th is interim to give time for medicals (30 days) and when the medicals are clear they will approve till May 10th which was the original request in the application. And NOT that, even if she clear the medicals they will extend till Feb 8th only.

Can some one clarify? Trying to reach IRCC for clarification in parallel but busy lines as usual. Thanks in advance.

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
Hi everyone - any comments / suggestions ?
They've granted an extension until February 8th. Visitor's don't have what one might describe as a case file where you do this and then they do something further.

A visitor's record details any terms and conditions such as undertaking a medical to be eligible for any further extensions, but it doesn't alter the validity date of the status document.

If your mother wishes a lengthier visit then she needs to do the medicals and apply for any further time in Canada.

shilpab

Oct 13, 2019
They've granted an extension until February 8th. Visitor's don't have what one might describe as a case file where you do this and then they do something further.

A visitor's record details any terms and conditions such as undertaking a medical to be eligible for any further extensions, but it doesn't alter the validity date of the status document.

If your mother wishes a lengthier visit then she needs to do the medicals and apply for any further time in Canada.
Thanks for your prompt reply. Based on what you are saying, it’s very illogical for IRCC to finally make a decision after several months and give 30 days for Medicals as well the extension valid only for 30 more days.. in our rush to do the medicals we spent $300 and looks like that’s a waste as she could have stayed till Feb 8th even without the medical !? And if as you say she could use the medical results to apply for further extensions then that’s one more application and another $100 ! If country of origin and age are a factor for medial requirements then they could have asked for an upfront medical at the time of application or made the decision months back

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
Thanks for your prompt reply. Based on what you are saying, it’s very illogical for IRCC to finally make a decision after several months and give 30 days for Medicals as well the extension valid only for 30 more days.. in our rush to do the medicals we spent $300 and looks like that’s a waste as she could have stayed till Feb 8th even without the medical !? And if as you say she could use the medical results to apply for further extensions then that’s one more application and another $100 ! If country of origin and age are a factor for medial requirements then they could have asked for an upfront medical at the time of application or made the decision months back
Well, I'm not the complaints department for IRCC so maybe contact your MP.

mlee976

Jan 11, 2023
Hi,

My mother is on a visit and her initial approved 6 months as visitor got over in November 2022. We had applied for an extension in September 2022 itself asking for another 6 months i.e. till May 2023. She stayed beyond Nov 2022 as a deemed approval. Finally, after 4 months, received a status update on January 8th 2023 that the application is approved (visitor record valid till February 8th 2023 e.g. exactly 30 days from when the application got approved ) and that she need needs to do medicals within 30 days (not directly mentioned but assume its contingent on the medicals ?). Today received another update that the application is approved till Feb 8th.

Our application was for extension till May 10th. My hopeful interpretation is that, the current approval till Feb 8th is interim to give time for medicals (30 days) and when the medicals are clear they will approve till May 10th which was the original request in the application. And NOT that, even if she clear the medicals they will extend till Feb 8th only.

Can some one clarify? Trying to reach IRCC for clarification in parallel but busy lines as usual. Thanks in advance.
Same situation - My parents initial stay ended Nov 2022 but based on 6 months Visitor Record processing time, I submitted the extension late Aug 2022. The application got approved end of Oct with Visitor record expiring Dec 2022 and medical exam requirement. They had taken medical examination right away but since results took time, I submitted another extension end of November (30 days before Dec 31 expiry). Mom got approved for 1 year extension but until now I haven't heard from IRCC regarding Dad's medical exam result. His visitor record expired Dec 31 and his Nov application is still in Submitted status.

shilpab

Oct 13, 2019
Same situation - My parents initial stay ended Nov 2022 but based on 6 months Visitor Record processing time, I submitted the extension late Aug 2022. The application got approved end of Oct with Visitor record expiring Dec 2022 and medical exam requirement. They had taken medical examination right away but since results took time, I submitted another extension end of November (30 days before Dec 31 expiry). Mom got approved for 1 year extension but until now I haven't heard from IRCC regarding Dad's medical exam result. His visitor record expired Dec 31 and his Nov application is still in Submitted status.
good to know it sort of worked out for you as you could apply for another extension more than 30 days before the expiry of the first extension. In my bizarre case, they approved on Jan 8th with the visitor record expiring on Feb 8th !!! We did the medical on 9th but now I am already within the 30 day window so not sure application for another extension would be accepted … waiting for some response on the web form query in the meantime..

mlee976

Jan 11, 2023
good to know it sort of worked out for you as you could apply for another extension more than 30 days before the expiry of the first extension. In my bizarre case, they approved on Jan 8th with the visitor record expiring on Feb 8th !!! We did the medical on 9th but now I am already within the 30 day window so not sure application for another extension would be accepted … waiting for some response on the web form query in the meantime..
Maybe you could try another extension see if they approve it. Please let me know if you ever get a response from the web form. I submitted twice since Nov to follow up on medical but have not heard anything until now.

shilpab

Oct 13, 2019
Maybe you could try another extension see if they approve it. Please let me know if you ever get a response from the web form. I submitted twice since Nov to follow up on medical but have not heard anything until now.
Yes, applied for another extension with pre-medical. Mother will stay on till under a deemed extension assumption.. no response on the web form.

mlee976

Jan 11, 2023
All the best to us! BTW, have you received your mom's medical approval?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your mother already benefitted from a number of months stay past her 6 month stay so you are not being asked to complete the medical just for the 30 days. She always had to complete the medical if she stayed past the 6 month mark. In general if you are given a shorter stay than asked for there are usually concerns about her ties to her home country. You can try for another extension but when your mother leaves she should plan on remaining out of Canada for a good length of time before trying to visit again.

IF321

Sep 21, 2020
Yes, applied for another extension with pre-medical. Mother will stay on till under a deemed extension assumption.. no response on the web form.
Hi, did you receive the extension approved for the second time? If so what was the duration?

Please let me know. Thanks

AdilKar

Star Member
Aug 15, 2017
Did you get approval for your Dad's visa extension request?
We are in same situation as yours, I applied visitor record for my Mom & Dad on Dec 11th 2023 (My Dad is principal applicant and Mom is dependent), got BVL & medical request for both from IRCC on Jan 5th 2024. On Jan 6th 2024 my Dad's visitor record was approved, he got his letter in the mail within few days. But, my Mom's application is still pending and it shows in progress, its been two weeks since my Dad's approval but we haven't received any updates regarding my Mom's application.
How long did it take for your Dad's visitor record to get approved after your Mom's approval?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Did you get approval for your Dad's visa extension request?
We are in same situation as yours, I applied visitor record for my Mom & Dad on Dec 11th 2023 (My Dad is principal applicant and Mom is dependent), got BVL & medical request for both from IRCC on Jan 5th 2024. On Jan 6th 2024 my Dad's visitor record was approved, he got his letter in the mail within few days. But, my Mom's application is still pending and it shows in progress, its been two weeks since my Dad's approval but we haven't received any updates regarding my Mom's application.
How long did it take for your Dad's visitor record to get approved after your Mom's approval?
Every individual is evaluated separately. If there was any concern about her medical it may take a while because IRCC medical personnel will want to review her medical and potentially ask for further testing. Does she have any medical issues or has she visited a Canadian hospital?