+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa Extension - Medical Check Question

annihilat1on

Mar 14, 2017
Hello,

I'm an Indian citizen and I have been in Canada since December 2016 on a visitor visa. I was in the USA previously on a H1-B visa but then came to spend time with my then girlfriend now wife. We got married in May 2017 but before that I had filed for a visa extension in April 2017 when I was still single (on paper at least). The extension was filed so that I could travel Canada and spend more time with my (now) wife and stepson. Here is the timeline in points so that it is more easily understood:

1. December 14, 2016 - After living in the USA for 6-7 years on a H1-B, I leave to Canada on a visitor visa which lets me stay in Canada for 6 months technically.
  2. April 2017 - Still in Canada, so I file for a visitor visa extension. Marriage status at the time : single
  3. May 2017 - As we (finally!) decided to do multiple wedding ceremonies, my girlfriend and I got married in Canada
  4. June 2017 - We applied for my PR in Canada. As my visitor visa extension was still processing I have implied status but filed for PR before my implied status started.
  5. July 8, 2017 - I receive word on my visitor visa extension that they need a Medical Check (IMM 1017E) and that I have 30 days to do it
  6. July 11, 2017 - I see my application for visitor visa extension updated with a status saying "Your Document is Valid" and expiration date of "2017/11/01".

Question is - Do I still need the medical check specifically for this? Or is my visa extension now finally approved fully?

The reason is that I am still waiting for my AOR for my PR application and I'm sure they will need a medical check too and I don't want to do it twice.

annihilat1on

Mar 14, 2017
And now, I got this online document that says:

"Your application to remain in Canada as a temporary resident has been approved. A secure document has been mailed to you at the address that you provided when you made your application. If you have not received your secure document within six weeks, contact CIC ."

So the question remains:

Do I still need to go for a medical exam?

AG15

May 3, 2016
Visa Office......
Ndvo

"Your application to remain in Canada as a temporary resident has been approved. A secure document has been mailed to you at the address that you provided when you made your application. If you have not received your secure document within six weeks, contact CIC ."

So the question remains:

If it is approved then you don't need . Medical exams are required when you are applying TRV more than 6 months.

Reactions: annihilat1on

AG15

May 3, 2016
Visa Office......
Ndvo

So the question remains:

To make sure you don't need call IRCC no tomorrow for any doubts.
Web form.
Telephone: 1-888-242-2100 (in Canada only)
Automated telephone service (available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
8 am to 4pm Toronto time.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

So the question remains:

Yes, you still need to go for the medical exam. The extension was issued based on the condition that you do the medical within the 30 days. When you receive the visitor record, this will be stated in the conditions. If you fail to do the medical, your status will be cancelled.

annihilat1on

Mar 14, 2017
Yes, you still need to go for the medical exam. The extension was issued based on the condition that you do the medical within the 30 days. When you receive the visitor record, this will be stated in the conditions. If you fail to do the medical, your status will be cancelled.

Thank you!

Another question:

Suppose I get my AOR for my PR application in the next couple of days, I will technically be under legal status in Canada. Can I just ignore this visitor extension thing altogether if that happens?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you!

Another question:

Suppose I get my AOR for my PR application in the next couple of days, I will technically be under legal status in Canada. Can I just ignore this visitor extension thing altogether if that happens?
AOR does not grant status. If you fail to do the medical, your extension will be void and you will be out of status.