+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa Extension for Parents

royston

Apr 27, 2014
Hi,

My Mom and Dad were granted a 10 year Multiple entry visa when they applied for a Canadian visitors visa last year. They entered Canada on 17th September 2015 with their visitors visa (which is not a super visa). We need to extend the period of their stay, for which we would apply next week (first week of Feb), but I have a few questions prior to this and would be grateful to get some inputs from you guys at the forum.

Background of my family:
1. Mom and Dad are both retired, but have a couple of properties back home (indication of family ties)
2. I am married with 2 children aged 4 & 6 and we are permanent residents of Canada.
3. Both, my wife and me have full time permanent jobs meeting LICO comfortably.

Application related questions:
4. What is the maximum period of extension I can apply for? Is it 6 months or can be more based on the fact that both me and my wife have permanent jobs and we meet the LICO comfortably. The question can be rephrased like: They came to Canada on a visitor visa, if I need to extend the duration of stay, can I apply for a visa extension like a general visitor (6 months), or should I apply as a Grandparent/Parent authorized period of extended stay (about a year). This is mentioned in the documents checklist for visitors extension.
5. If they get an extension, there would be a medical involved. What would be an estimated cost based on the fact that they are healthy and aged 65 years or rather, what all tests would they need to take
6. What is a good time to book a medical appointment for the extension, since I heard its difficult to get doctors appointments in GTA within the 30 days period.
7. In case I need to extend their stay only by 6 months, do I also need to provide a copy of Canadian medical insurance for 1 year.

I am a bit confused between which visa extension category I fall. If you see the document checklist for visitor (IMM5558), they have a section for ALL Applicants and a seperate section for PARENTS and GRANDPARENTS

Decision related questions:

8. The processing times for visitor visa extension seems 120+ days, so I believe they can stay in Canada on Implied status until the visa expires. Am I right?
9. If due to any unfortunate circumstances, they dont get the extension, then they will be asked to leave Canada immediately. Lets say we comply and they leave the country if they are denied the extension, but will it show on their records that they overstayed on their visitor visa, even if they exit Canada immediately upon receipt of the rejection letter.
10. If point 3, says they overstayed, then would it be an issue for them to enter Canada again, say after a month using the multiple entry visa that they have. Technically we have implied status until the decision from CIC is made, so wondering if this is considered overstayed if they are rejected.
11. If 3 & 4 are true, then should we apply for restoration of status, without them exiting Canada? so that they don't have trouble in their re-entry at a later period.

Thank you for reading my exhaustive questionnaire and providing your thoughts on the same.

Reactions: Jaywalker

sokosan

Aug 6, 2015
royston said:
8. The processing times for visitor visa extension seems 120+ days, so I believe they can stay in Canada on Implied status until the visa expires. Am I right?
Yes. Just keep in mind that the 120+ days is an average based on 80% of the applications. Your application might take longer or shorter. Don't rely on them being on implied status for the 135 days or whatever it currently says on the website the processing time is.

9. If due to any unfortunate circumstances, they dont get the extension, then they will be asked to leave Canada immediately. Lets say we comply and they leave the country if they are denied the extension, but will it show on their records that they overstayed on their visitor visa, even if they exit Canada immediately upon receipt of the rejection letter.
No. Implied status means exactly that - implied status. It doesn't get "erased" backwards in time if their application is rejected. If it is rejected and they leave immediately, they have not overstayed.

10. If point 3, says they overstayed, then would it be an issue for them to enter Canada again, say after a month using the multiple entry visa that they have. Technically we have implied status until the decision from CIC is made, so wondering if this is considered overstayed if they are rejected.
As I said, no, being rejected does not mean you overstayed while waiting for the response. You overstay if you stay after being rejected.

As for coming back - well I think that if they leave Canada after being here for several months, and then try to come back very quickly (in a month or so), there is a high chance they will have problems at the border. This might especially be true if they just recently got rejected for an extension. Think about it - you stayed in Canada for 6 months, applied to extend that for 6 months or a year, stayed another 3-4 month on implied status, got rejected and told you must leave, and here you are back after one month. Don't you think you would be a bit suspicious to the border official? Having a multiple entry visa means that the border official can let them in - not that he must. He can reject them. Or, he can limit their stay to be shorter than the usual 6 months. If they can explain why they are coming back so quickly (there can obviously be legitimate reasons), he/she could let them in, but indicate for example that they are allowed only one month, or two, or maybe even just 2 weeks or whatever. They can also be lucky and get 6 months again of course, but I would not count on it.

In the case they get rejected for an extension, the safe thing to do would be to leave, and then stay in their home country some extended period of time (e.g. 6 months) until trying to come back again. This is advisable even if they don't get rejected - let's say they stay for 6 months or a year (their extension is accepted). Once they go back home, they should stay there for a longer period (6-12 months) before coming back again.

Unfortunately there are no definite answers for that question (how often you can come with a TRV and how quickly can you come back once you leave), because it's up to the judgement of the border official. If it's an emergency, risk it, and try to explain yourself at the border. If it's not an emergency, don't risk it.

With the rest I can't help you unfortunately, I don't know about the specifics of (grand)parents' visas, just the general TRV stuff.

Jay_Sharma

Jul 15, 2018
Hi,

My Mom and Dad were granted a 10 year Multiple entry visa when they applied for a Canadian visitors visa last year. They entered Canada on 17th September 2015 with their visitors visa (which is not a super visa). We need to extend the period of their stay, for which we would apply next week (first week of Feb), but I have a few questions prior to this and would be grateful to get some inputs from you guys at the forum.

Background of my family:
1. Mom and Dad are both retired, but have a couple of properties back home (indication of family ties)
2. I am married with 2 children aged 4 & 6 and we are permanent residents of Canada.

4. What is the maximum period of extension I can apply for? Is it 6 months or can be more based on the fact that both me and my wife have permanent jobs and we meet the LICO comfortably. The question can be rephrased like: They came to Canada on a visitor visa, if I need to extend the duration of stay, can I apply for a visa extension like a general visitor (6 months), or should I apply as a Grandparent/Parent authorized period of extended stay (about a year). This is mentioned in the documents checklist for visitors extension.
5. If they get an extension, there would be a medical involved. What would be an estimated cost based on the fact that they are healthy and aged 65 years or rather, what all tests would they need to take
6. What is a good time to book a medical appointment for the extension, since I heard its difficult to get doctors appointments in GTA within the 30 days period.
7. In case I need to extend their stay only by 6 months, do I also need to provide a copy of Canadian medical insurance for 1 year.

I am a bit confused between which visa extension category I fall. If you see the document checklist for visitor (IMM5558), they have a section for ALL Applicants and a seperate section for PARENTS and GRANDPARENTS

11. If 3 & 4 are true, then should we apply for restoration of status, without them exiting Canada? so that they don't have trouble in their re-entry at a later period.

Thank you for reading my exhaustive questionnaire and providing your thoughts on the same.
Hi,

Background of my family:

9. If due to any unfortunate circumstances, they dont get the extension, then they will be asked to leave Canada immediately. Lets say we comply and they leave the country if they are denied the extension, but will it show on their records that they overstayed on their visitor visa, even if they exit Canada immediately upon receipt of the rejection letter.ou