+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa extension for Inland Spousal Sponsorship

Sshah2906

Jan 4, 2022
Hello All,

I'm a Canadian Citizen who's deeply in need of your help. My wife is currently on visitor status and has been living with me for about 5 months now. I want to apply for inland spousal sponsorship but we are waiting on her PCC which will likely take another month. By that time she'll exceed her 6 month limit on TRV. Our plan was to file her PR before the end of 6 months, while her status in Canada was valid. Now to maintain her valid status before applying for her PR, we'll have to apply for an extension beyond the 6 month limit.

Here is some info on our situation which might be relevant:
My wife had been to a trip to Canada as a visitor previously, but her visa expired in 2020 and they were not issuing TRV for tourists due to covid. In 2021, after waiting for 9 long months and 3 applications later, I was finally able to secure a TRV for my wife (then my fiancee) under extended family members category. So IRCC already knows that she was here as my fiancee. As we are planning to apply inland, she left her job back home to start her life with me and we got married in Canada hoping it would make the application easier. Little did I know, it took 4 months for us just to get our marriage certificate. Without it we couldn't apply for her PCC. Its been a month now, since we applied for her PCC but I don't see it coming before her status expiry. IRCC website states that the stay extension application should be made atleast a month before the 6 month expiry.

So here we are, stuck in between a rock and a hard place trying to figure out on how to extend her stay. I'm afraid that it would be pretty clear from her extension application that she intends to stay in Canada for more than 6 months and she would face rejection.

My question is on what basis should I file her extension? Also, can I file for her inland sponsorship once we get her PCC, while she is on implied status?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Reactions: mapple007

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello All,

I'm a Canadian Citizen who's deeply in need of your help. My wife is currently on visitor status and has been living with me for about 5 months now. I want to apply for inland spousal sponsorship but we are waiting on her PCC which will likely take another month. By that time she'll exceed her 6 month limit on TRV. Our plan was to file her PR before the end of 6 months, while her status in Canada was valid. Now to maintain her valid status before applying for her PR, we'll have to apply for an extension beyond the 6 month limit.

Here is some info on our situation which might be relevant:
My wife had been to a trip to Canada as a visitor previously, but her visa expired in 2020 and they were not issuing TRV for tourists due to covid. In 2021, after waiting for 9 long months and 3 applications later, I was finally able to secure a TRV for my wife (then my fiancee) under extended family members category. So IRCC already knows that she was here as my fiancee. As we are planning to apply inland, she left her job back home to start her life with me and we got married in Canada hoping it would make the application easier. Little did I know, it took 4 months for us just to get our marriage certificate. Without it we couldn't apply for her PCC. Its been a month now, since we applied for her PCC but I don't see it coming before her status expiry. IRCC website states that the stay extension application should be made atleast a month before the 6 month expiry.

So here we are, stuck in between a rock and a hard place trying to figure out on how to extend her stay. I'm afraid that it would be pretty clear from her extension application that she intends to stay in Canada for more than 6 months and she would face rejection.

My question is on what basis should I file her extension? Also, can I file for her inland sponsorship once we get her PCC, while she is on implied status?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
She should apply to extend her stay as a visitor on the basis that you will be filing an inland sponsorship application. I would attach proof that you are married and explain that you are waiting for PCC to submit the application. You don’t have to apply 30 days before expiry it is just a recommendation. Would apply a few days before expiry to give you a buffer in case you encounter any problems.

Reactions: mapple007

Kiikii

Jul 6, 2022
She should apply to extend her stay as a visitor on the basis that you will be filing an inland sponsorship application. I would attach proof that you are married and explain that you are waiting for PCC to submit the application. You don’t have to apply 30 days before expiry it is just a recommendation. Would apply a few days before expiry to give you a buffer in case you encounter any problems.

Hello i am in a similar situation but in my case we have received AOR for our Inland Spousal Sponsorship
and my application is on last stage as per my Immigration rep. I just received extension Approval on Saturday valid until 12 September so my question is shall I submit Visitor visa extension application along with AOR copy and pre-arrival letter copy.

My Timeline:

App OWP / PR
Date of Submission: 25 April 2022
AOR: 22 July 2022
Biometrics : Received - done in 2019
Medical Exam : 22 July 2022
Medical Done : 23 July 2022
Ghost Update 1 : 4 August 2022
Ghost Update 2 : 8 August 2022
Medical Passed : Completed 9 August 2022
Eligibility : Completed 22 July 2022
Pre-arrival Letter : 31st July 2022
Background Check : Status **Not Started** as per my research my background check is in progress

Can anyone advise please.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello i am in a similar situation but in my case we have received AOR for our Inland Spousal Sponsorship
and my application is on last stage as per my Immigration rep. I just received extension Approval on Saturday valid until 12 September so my question is shall I submit Visitor visa extension application along with AOR copy and pre-arrival letter copy.

My Timeline:

App OWP / PR
Date of Submission: 25 April 2022
AOR: 22 July 2022
Biometrics : Received - done in 2019
Medical Exam : 22 July 2022
Medical Done : 23 July 2022
Medical Passed : Status **In Progress** although its been submitted/received by IRCC as of 9 August
Eligibility : Completed
Pre-arrival Letter : 31st July 2022
Background Check : Status **Not Started** as per my research my background check is in progress
Ghost Update 1 : 4 August 2022
Ghost Update 2 : 8 August 2022

Can anyone advise please.
Did your spouse also apply for an OWP?

Kiikii

Jul 6, 2022
Applying for OWP gives her implied status so no need to extend visitor status.
My Immigration Rep is still insisting to submit Visitor visa extension application with my AOR details i am so confused, i guess i will waiting till the end of august and submit it in first week of September if I don't hear on my OWP or PR.

Everything is complete for me including medicals, only Background check shows not started that's all on my Tracker.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My Immigration Rep is still insisting to submit Visitor visa extension application with my AOR details i am so confused, i guess i will waiting till the end of august and submit it in first week of September if I don't hear on my OWP or PR.

Everything is complete for me including medicals, only Background check shows not started that's all on my Tracker.
Have you received AOR for the OWP? If so you already have implied status and there is no need to apply to extend visitor status. Are they charging you a fee to apply for the extension (not IRCC fee)?

Kiikii

Jul 6, 2022
Have you received AOR for the OWP. If so you have implied status and there is no need to apply to extend visitor status. Are they charging you a fee?
I have everything for the OWP & PR payment receipt till medical passed only Back ground check is pending, of course received AOR on 21st July. They will charge but i know how to apply i have done it for the last 2 years i have been here. They say that Immigration officer may inquire what my status is, i have to maintain Visitor status until decision is made.

My timeline is in my Signature

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have everything for the OWP & PR payment receipt till medical passed only Back ground check is pending, of course received AOR on 21st July. They will charge but i know how to apply i have done it for the last 2 years i have been here. They say that Immigration officer may inquire what my status is, i have to maintain Visitor status until decision is made.

My timeline is in my Signature
You already have implied status through your OWP application which means you have visitor status until you get your OWP or PR. There is no need to apply to extend your visitor status. You can apply for sponsorship without any status in Canada so what your agent is saying is incorrect. Nobody is going to check on your status if you remain in Canada waiting for sponsorship. If you really want to do it there is no harm but unnecessary and it saves you a bit of money.

Reactions: Kiikii

Kiikii

Jul 6, 2022
You already have implied status through your OWP application. There is no need to apply to extend your visitor status. You can apply for sponsorship without any status in Canada so what your agent is saying is incorrect. Nobody is going to check on your status if you remain in Canada waiting for sponsorship. If you really want to do it there is no harm but unnecessary and it saves you a bit of money.
Yes I agree. I have been in status since i came here before covid, never been out of status. I am going to wait until end of August to see if i hear on OWP or PR, make a decision accordingly. I am new to this and my husband has no idea about immigration we are both just waiting so we can plan our life. Reading all the experiences here its been a eye opener, i hope i dont get stuck </3

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes I agree. I have been in status since i came here before covid, never been out of status. I am going to wait until end of August to see if i hear on OWP or PR, make a decision accordingly. I am new to this and my husband has no idea about immigration we are both just waiting so we can plan our life. Reading all the experiences here its been a eye opener, i hope i dont get stuck </3
You may have needed to extend your visitor status unless you arrived and applied for sponsorship right away with your OWP. After you file your OWP that gives you something called implied status which means you no longer actually have to pay to extend you status. You keep your current status until you receive the OWP or PR but you must remain in Canada.

Reactions: Kiikii

Kiikii

Jul 6, 2022
You may have needed to extend your visitor status unless you arrived and applied for sponsorship right away with your OWP. After you file your OWP that gives you something called implied status which means you no longer actually have to pay to extend you status. You keep your current status until you receive the OWP or PR but you must remain in Canada.
thank you we will continue to stay put and wait for update from IRCC.

Jumss

Star Member
Mar 26, 2023
You already have implied status through your OWP application which means you have visitor status until you get your OWP or PR. There is no need to apply to extend your visitor status. You can apply for sponsorship without any status in Canada so what your agent is saying is incorrect. Nobody is going to check on your status if you remain in Canada waiting for sponsorship. If you really want to do it there is no harm but unnecessary and it saves you a bit of money.
In a similar situation pls but my visitor status expires on 30 sept , my spouse already filed inland sponsorship but we waiting aor what can I do pls to remain in Canada while awaiting decision