+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa Extension and Medical Request

Mahesh1982

Star Member
Jun 26, 2019
Hello Team,
I am in the same situation. My in-laws visa will expire on Nov 5(6 months). They plan to travel on Nov 25th. Should i apply for extension. I need to get medicals done. Should i apply with medicals and when approved, they will be in india and get thier medicals done there? Also They came on May 5th to Canada. But we went to USA on June 5th and came back on June 6th. Does the 6 months interval reset and they can actually stay till Dec 5th so that i need not extend visitor Visa. Any inputs will be helpful and will save money.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Team,
I am in the same situation. My in-laws visa will expire on Nov 5(6 months). They plan to travel on Nov 25th. Should i apply for extension. I need to get medicals done. Should i apply with medicals and when approved, they will be in india and get thier medicals done there? Also They came on May 5th to Canada. But we went to USA on June 5th and came back on June 6th. Does the 6 months interval reset and they can actually stay till Dec 5th so that i need not extend visitor Visa. Any inputs will be helpful and will save money.
Yes normally the time should reset but sometimes with very short trips to the US it doesn’t for some reason. I would imagine since they went overnight it was considered a new entry. Was their passport stamped again?

No need to do medicals unless they are eventually asked to complete medicals. If they do need to apply for an extension I would then email IRCC once they leave Canada to indicate that they have already left Canada. Hopefully you will avoid any request for medicals. If parentsstay past the 6 months theycan be asked to complete the medical even if they are already in your home country. If you took advantage of any extra days you have to do the medical if requested because you did remain during the extension period. Because of the backlogs it seems very strange but the medical request should come much earlier normally.

Mahesh1982

Star Member
Jun 26, 2019
Thanks @canuck78 for the quick response. When we entered US, US immigration officials stamped their passport with B1/B2 visa admit till Dec 5th. They have that stamp on their passport. There is no specific stamp on the passport from CBSA while entering Canada back. They just scanned the passports and allowed them to enter.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks @canuck78 for the quick response. When we entered US, US immigration officials stamped their passport with B1/B2 visa admit till Dec 5th. They have that stamp on their passport. There is no specific stamp on the passport from CBSA while entering Canada back. They just scanned the passports and allowed them to enter.
It should count as a new entry. I thought I remembered seeing that for some short entries it hadn’t counted but I can’t find any proof of this and since you went overnight I can’t imagine a case where it wouldn’t count. I think you’re safe and don’t need to extend their stay. They can return home before their 6 months stay is up.