+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa expired for minor but study permit is approved and no request for passport

prasa1106

Apr 20, 2021
Category........
WP
Hi,
My husband's company applied ICT work permit (from USA) for my husband, open work permit for me and study permit for my 8 year old daughter. We got our approval letters but no request for passport and it is stated that, if we have valid travel visa the work and study permits will be determined and stamped at the POE. Me and my husband have valid visitor visa but my daughter's visa got expired last year. My husband checked with his company and they told we all will get stamped together at the POE. We are planning to travel by road. My concern is with expired visitor visa but approved study permit letter for dependent minor, will the officer allow her to enter Canada? Please advise.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
My husband's company applied ICT work permit (from USA) for my husband, open work permit for me and study permit for my 8 year old daughter. We got our approval letters but no request for passport and it is stated that, if we have valid travel visa the work and study permits will be determined and stamped at the POE. Me and my husband have valid visitor visa but my daughter's visa got expired last year. My husband checked with his company and they told we all will get stamped together at the POE. We are planning to travel by road. My concern is with expired visitor visa but approved study permit letter for dependent minor, will the officer allow her to enter Canada? Please advise.
Your child needs a valid TRV to enter Canada. They actually don’t need a study permit although some visa officers require it once in a while. You should be applying for her TRV although I’m not sure it will be faster than the study permit.

prasa1106

Apr 20, 2021
Category........
WP
Thank You!
We got a response from my husband's company stating that " Since me and my husband have valid TRV our kid can travel with us with the study permit approval letter. Due to Covid pandemic IRCC avoiding too many correspondence (in our case only kid passport needs stamping). Hence, we can carry the approval letter and passport and the officer will stamp the visa at POE". Here is the approval letter states,

Below one from 1st page,
"Your application to study in Canada has been approved. A permit authorizing your studies will be issued to you on your arrival to Canada following an examination by an officer of the Canada Border Services Agency, subject to your compliance with the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and its Regulations.This letter is important because it contains information that will be used by the CanadaBorder Services Agency to issue your study permit. Please do not misplace it."

In 2nd page it is mentioned,
If you are from a country/territory which requires a temporary resident visa (TRV), you have also been issued a visa. This visa has been affixed in your passport, and is valid for multiple visits to Canada until it expires. If you obtain a new passport before your visa expires, you will need to apply for a new visa.

We all got the same statement in our letters for the work and study permit approvals. We have submitted the webform and awaiting for the response.

Please let me know if any one crossed the similar situation.

Thanks in advance!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank You!
We got a response from my husband's company stating that " Since me and my husband have valid TRV our kid can travel with us with the study permit approval letter. Due to Covid pandemic IRCC avoiding too many correspondence (in our case only kid passport needs stamping). Hence, we can carry the approval letter and passport and the officer will stamp the visa at POE". Here is the approval letter states,

Below one from 1st page,
"Your application to study in Canada has been approved. A permit authorizing your studies will be issued to you on your arrival to Canada following an examination by an officer of the Canada Border Services Agency, subject to your compliance with the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and its Regulations.This letter is important because it contains information that will be used by the CanadaBorder Services Agency to issue your study permit. Please do not misplace it."

In 2nd page it is mentioned,
If you are from a country/territory which requires a temporary resident visa (TRV), you have also been issued a visa. This visa has been affixed in your passport, and is valid for multiple visits to Canada until it expires. If you obtain a new passport before your visa expires, you will need to apply for a new visa.

We all got the same statement in our letters for the work and study permit approvals. We have submitted the webform and awaiting for the response.

Please let me know if any one crossed the similar situation.

Thanks in advance!
Have you received a letter specifically stating your child has TRV approval? These letters are standard for study permits and they are always issues at the POE.

prasa1106

Apr 20, 2021
Category........
WP
No, we haven't. Only the two pages approval letter. We haven't received the passport request letter for the kid.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No, we haven't. Only the two pages approval letter. We haven't received the passport request letter for the kid.
Unless you have some concrete proof that your child can travel without a TRV I would be concerned that something may have been lost in communication. Your child should be able to get a TRV given your permits/visas but they still need a TRV unless they have a passport from a visa exempt country.

prasa1106

Apr 20, 2021
Category........
WP
Unless you have some concrete proof that your child can travel without a TRV I would be concerned that something may have been lost in communication. Your child should be able to get a TRV given your permits/visas but they still need a TRV unless they have a passport from a visa exempt country.
Thank you @canuck78!
We got a response from IRCC. They requested my daughter's passport and we got her study permit stamped. We are all set to travel.

sachintha

May 8, 2021
Thank you @canuck78!
We got a response from IRCC. They requested my daughter's passport and we got her study permit stamped. We are all set to travel.
Did you get the Passport Request for your kid as a result of the web form?
1) How much time did it take from the study permit letter to the passport request?
2) and if you remember, mention the status of the study permit application in the IRCC profile while your kid had the study permit but no PPR?
(was it 'Approved'?)
3) and was this the latest update while you were in the situation?
```
Latest update:
Final decision - Your application was approved. Check your messages below for details.
```
'