+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa- Documents to show at Canada Border

Rajgabbi

Dec 1, 2018
Hi All,

Greetings of the day
I live in New Zealand. I applied for a visitor visa 6 months ago to attend the International Conference in Montreal, Canada.
I got a visitor visa for 10 years.
Conference authorities issued a letter to show at Canada Border.
Unfortunately, I unable to attend the Conference.
But I am traveling next month on the same visa to visit my Parents (Recently moved).

My question is do I need to show any kind of document at the Canada border? Or I use the same document issued by conference authorities.

Please advise.
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Raj Gabbi

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Don't use documents issued by the conference if the conference has passed.

Provided that your visa is a general TRV for tourist purposes, and not a business visa, you should be okay to enter. You'll want documentation of your travel plans and return flights, in case you're asked.

Indian applicant

Jun 29, 2014
Show your Passport page that has VALID Visitor VISA. Remember NOT to carry cash over the limit. In Canada you need to declare if you have cash over $10K. You can have financial instruments like cheques and bank drafts which you have declare.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Show your Passport page that has VALID Visitor VISA. Remember NOT to carry cash over the limit. In Canada you need to declare if you have cash over $10K. You can have financial instruments like cheques and bank drafts which you have declare.
There is no limit on how much cash can be brought.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We recently saw someone do the exact same thing but got refused at the POE and sent back on the next flight because CIC had made a note in their file that they were attending a conference but the conference was over. Assume you did know your parents were moving to Canada so you really should have applied as a tourist.