+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa approved. OWP next?

AMBriers

Star Member
Sep 23, 2018
Hi all,

I have posted before that I applied for 3 visas at the same time; OWP with PR, but also for a visitor visa to remain on more official status in the country while I wait for my OWP, to stop me being here purely on implied status, as it was discussed I could do this. I doubt it's a multiple entry visitor visa so I still can't go and see my family for even a few days back home, but what does this do for me now? Am I simply just not on implied status anymore? I stated in the reasons for wanting the visitor visa in the application that I wanted to remain in Canada while I wait for my OWP and PR. That was back in early October 6th, so it's taken pretty much exactly 3 months to get it, and it is valid until May.

In other news I have passed my medical for PR, and I presume I am waiting for my background check to initiate. I was just wondering if there was a standard timeline for how long after this point I might get my OWP. Is there a correlation between the PR stages and whether you are approved for an OWP? I applied in late September and didn't get my AOR letter until early November. I didn't get my medical request until Dec 18th or thereabouts so by all accounts I'd say things are moving at a good pace. Just anxious to get back to work now.

Appreciate your thoughts/knowledge again!

Thanks.

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
OWP within 3 to 4 months.
Sponsorship within 12 months.
visitor visa grants visitor status.
once OWP is approved, you have implied status until PR approved/landing.

AMBriers

Star Member
Sep 23, 2018
Okay thanks, so once I get my OWP, that counts as a valid work permit, and I could technically leave the country if I wanted? Not to make it sound like I want to leave as I love it here. I haven't seen my family in over a year now because of work and then waiting on these visas and I miss them terribly. I would just like to see them for only a few days if I could, but they understand as much as I do that my situation makes it difficult.

I have a passport, visitor visa, ETA, and with an OWP, would that meet the 'admissibility requirements'? If it is possible I would love to be able to go and see them briefly before returning back to work and avoid conflicts with my work schedule.

Also, does the OWP require you to have a specially printed visa, or will I be able to apply for a new SIN as soon as it gets approved?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Okay thanks, so once I get my OWP, that counts as a valid work permit, and I could technically leave the country if I wanted? Not to make it sound like I want to leave as I love it here. I haven't seen my family in over a year now because of work and then waiting on these visas and I miss them terribly. I would just like to see them for only a few days if I could, but they understand as much as I do that my situation makes it difficult.

I have a passport, visitor visa, ETA, and with an OWP, would that meet the 'admissibility requirements'? If it is possible I would love to be able to go and see them briefly before returning back to work and avoid conflicts with my work schedule.

Also, does the OWP require you to have a specially printed visa, or will I be able to apply for a new SIN as soon as it gets approved?
You don't have a visitor visa. You have visitor status.

You can leave any time you want. However, there is never a guarantee of re-entry, even with an OWP; chances of being refused entry are very low but it is always possible. This is why people wanting to leave Canada during the process are advised to apply outland.

You don't get a new SIN. Your OWP will allow you to re-activate your SIN.