+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa approach dilemma

Romeo

May 14, 2013
Hello all:

So I met a russian girl on an online dating site. I am Canadian. We talked almost each day for about 3 months and decided to meet for a week in England in the beginning of this month. Luckily she was able to get a tourist visa for herself and we met there and really hit it off. After the week, we both decided we wanted to continue this, but not by having these short 1 week meetings which don't really let us see if we will get along in everyday real life. On top of this, due to work and other issues, I simply can't go off to Russia now to see her there.

So we both decided that we might try to get her a visitor visa to Canada. Both her and I have researched a lot of forums on obtaining Canadian visas and found that many people have been successful in getting a temporary visit visa to Canada if they can prove they will indeed return back home after the visa period has expired. Even cases with Canadian men inviting their single russian girlfriend have apparently worked!

For her part, she's almost 28 now, she has been at a stable job for the past 3 years earning a little over $1000/month. She lives on her own in a flat that is owned by her parents that will in a couple of years, become hers. She doesn't have a lot of money in the bank right now, but her mother is able to write a sponsor letter that can help cover her expenses if necessary (same letter she used to get the UK visa - a lot of the documents will be similar for the Canadian visa that she used for UK). For me I'm 42, and have a good stable job in Canada and have the resources to take care of her if she stayed with me. Given that we both understand that there is not a great chance for a single russian girl to get a visitor visa, we are nonetheless trying to decide whether she should come as a tourist or through an invitation letter from me.

For a tourist visa, as I said she can have her mother sponsor her for the money required to visit as a tourist (Plus any money she has in her bank account) including hotel, food, flight, etc for about a 2-week stay. She can show that she needs to return to her job by a certain date and that the flat she lives in by herself will eventually become hers, so she has good reason to return (probably this isn't enough I know, but it's all we have). She can also justify her desire to see Canada for its nature, etc, etc BS, and give a very detailed itinerary for her planned tourism. She would of course not mention one iota about me. I have seen that when you for example apply for a 2 week visa, they generally give you a 6 month visa by default. So the plan here would be for her to get a tourist visa and then stay as long as possible with me to see how it went between us.

However, having looked at several other forums, the overwhelming advice we are getting is that we should be completely honest about our relationship. Instead of applying for a tourist visa, I have been told I should invite her through a letter saying that we have already met, that she is my girlfriend, showing pictures of us together and our time in England. That I will support all of her needs while she is here, that I will show her my country and that I will ensure her return to russia by the end of the allotted visa time. In this case she might ask for a 3 week stay (since I will be taking care of her expenses here and she wouldn't need a lot of her own cash except for airfare) and then hopefully she can get the usual 6 month visa so we can stay together longer as a couple. Apparently a lot of people have testified that this approach has worked for them. But I am still skeptical about it.

So given this, what approach do you guys suggest?

tweetybird

Star Member
Mar 31, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 9, 2014. Sponsor Approval : June 5, 2014
Doc's Request.
PGR: august 5, 2014
File Transfer...
June 5, 2014
Med's Done....
Feb 7, 2014
Passport Req..
October 24, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Decision made: Nov 6,2014
LANDED..........
Nov 20, 2014
I'm going to pass on information as to what others have told me on here. Be honost about your relationship but down play the boyfriend part. In your letter state she is your girlfriend but don't send pictures ( VO's don't care). The reasons for her to return to her home country need to be the stronger point.

I'm in a similar situation with my boyfriend, we have been together for a year and a half and trying to get him a visitor visa. It's stressful. I didn't realize the TRV's are hard to get. Even if you lave legit proof you will go back. But I've been on here asking questions and that's what others have told me.
In my letter I said he was my boyfriend and we provided a return ticket itinerary and a letter from his job.
Also a paystub of proof where I work and a copy of my passport, birth cert, and drivers license. We have not heard back yet.

The fact that she didn't overstay her visa in England will help. They want to see travel history.

good luck!

Romeo

May 14, 2013
tweetybird said:
I'm going to pass on information as to what others have told me on here. Be honost about your relationship but down play the boyfriend part. In your letter state she is your girlfriend but don't send pictures ( VO's don't care). The reasons for her to return to her home country need to be the stronger point.

I'm in a similar situation with my boyfriend, we have been together for a year and a half and trying to get him a visitor visa. It's stressful. I didn't realize the TRV's are hard to get. Even if you lave legit proof you will go back. But I've been on here asking questions and that's what others have told me.
In my letter I said he was my boyfriend and we provided a return ticket itinerary and a letter from his job.
Also a paystub of proof where I work and a copy of my passport, birth cert, and drivers license. We have not heard back yet.

The fact that she didn't overstay her visa in England will help. They want to see travel history.

good luck!
Thanks very much for your info. Good luck on your application and let me know what happens if you get a chance.

tweetybird

Star Member
Mar 31, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
File Transfer...
June 5, 2014
Med's Done....
Feb 7, 2014
Passport Req..
October 24, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Nov 20, 2014
Same! Please let me know how it goes. I wish you all the luck!

davek1979

Sep 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05-2012
Doc's Request.
16-10-2012
AOR Received.
16-10-2012
Med's Request
16-10-2012
Med's Done....
22-10-2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
15-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2013
LANDED..........
13-04-2013
Before my wife got PR she visited twice. Once were were still dating and she came here on her own. The second time she came as my wife on a visitor visa with a letter from myself. WHen she came on her own she had booked a hostel and when she got here we cancelled it and we stayed with my parents since we were visiting my parents at the same time.

The second time she came she applied for a visitor visa she was my wife and i sent her a letter saying that she was visiting me. She got the visa on both times. She also had a history of travel to Canada and not over staying a visa. I think either way will work for you but I would go with the first. I think it shows more likelihood that she is going to return to her home country.

Romeo

May 14, 2013
davek1979 said:
Before my wife got PR she visited twice. Once were were still dating and she came here on her own. The second time she came as my wife on a visitor visa with a letter from myself. WHen she came on her own she had booked a hostel and when she got here we cancelled it and we stayed with my parents since we were visiting my parents at the same time.

The second time she came she applied for a visitor visa she was my wife and i sent her a letter saying that she was visiting me. She got the visa on both times. She also had a history of travel to Canada and not over staying a visa. I think either way will work for you but I would go with the first. I think it shows more likelihood that she is going to return to her home country.
Given it's her first time and she's still only my gf, do you think it's better then for her to apply on her own as tourist?

tweetybird

Star Member
Mar 31, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
File Transfer...
June 5, 2014
Med's Done....
Feb 7, 2014
Passport Req..
October 24, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Nov 20, 2014
It's up to you but when she arrives and customs asks the purpose of her visit and where she is staying then she would be lying and the officers are trained to recognize who's lying. She would be considered holding back information which could be a problem if you decide to sponsor her in the future and you have to prove your relationship. Everyones application is case specific but it's a lot on her shoulders coming into canada having to lie about her reasons for coming here. If they find out she was lying she might not get through customs. Remember the visa gets you on the plane but customs officers can still deport you. That's the way I've been thinking Might be better to tell the truth. . Believe me I've tried to figure out the best possible way for my own situation and I just think the truth would be the best way. Just my opinion.