+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa application

Mar 15, 2020
For Visitor visa application, how much is enough for proof of funds? The applicant would like to visit the spouse who is a permanent resident in Canada for 3 months and will live with the spouse. The applicant is responsible for his expenses for the entire duration of stay though the spouse is readily available to support the applicant financially should he run out of funds

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
For Visitor visa application, how much is enough for proof of funds? The applicant would like to visit the spouse who is a permanent resident in Canada for 3 months and will live with the spouse. The applicant is responsible for his expenses for the entire duration of stay though the spouse is readily available to support the applicant financially should he run out of funds
3 months is WAY too long to ask for. It shows a lack of ties to your own country. You are already facing a likely refusal because of your PR spouse. Keep it to 2-3 weeks.

Mar 15, 2020
3 months is WAY too long to ask for. It shows a lack of ties to your own country. You are already facing a likely refusal because of your PR spouse. Keep it to 2-3 weeks.
Thank you for your response. You made mention of likely refusal because of my PR spouse. Is the spouse of a Permanent resident not allowed to visit him or her? Why would there be a likely refusal because one's spouse is a Permanent resident or is the likely refusal because of the 3 months I mentioned in my previous question? Please, enlighten me more on this. Thank you so much!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for your response. You made mention of likely refusal because of my PR spouse. Is the spouse of a Permanent resident not allowed to visit him or her? Why would there be a likely refusal because one's spouse is a Permanent resident or is the likely refusal because of the 3 months I mentioned in my previous question? Please, enlighten me more on this. Thank you so much!
To be approved for a TRV, you need to show strong ties to your country. However, a spouse is generally considered one of the strongest ties, so with yours being a Canadian PR in Canada, it indicates stronger ties to Canada than your country and makes you high risk to overstay. Spouses of Canadian citizens/PRs are more often than not refused TRVs.

A 3 months stay also indicates weak ties to your own country.

Mar 15, 2020
To be approved for a TRV, you need to show strong ties to your country. However, a spouse is generally considered one of the strongest ties, so with yours being a Canadian PR in Canada, it indicates stronger ties to Canada than your country and makes you high risk to overstay. Spouses of Canadian citizens/PRs are more often than not refused TRVs.

A 3 months stay also indicates weak ties to your own country.
Thank you for your swift response. I really don't understand the reason spouses of PRs should be having high rate of TRV refusals. From your own understanding, what do they want married couples to do? What's the best way to get around it? Does being a PhD student in the country where I am currently resident sufficient proof of ties outside Canada? Moreover, I've been to the United States of America a couple of times as well as to other countries in Europe and never overstayed. Please, advise me on the best way to go. I currently live in one the developed countries.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for your swift response. I really don't understand the reason spouses of PRs should be having high rate of TRV refusals. From your own understanding, what do they want married couples to do? What's the best way to get around it? Does being a PhD student in the country where I am currently resident sufficient proof of ties outside Canada? Moreover, I've been to the United States of America a couple of times as well as to other countries in Europe and never overstayed. Please, advise me on the best way to go. I currently live in one the developed countries.
As I said, they are a higher risk to overstay in Canada in order to remain with their citizen/PR spouse. They can apply for spousal sponsorship.

Being a PhD student is a tie you can show and previous travel to the US is good. Unfortunately, if you have temporary status in your current country of residence, that is another negative in applying for a TRV.

You can certainly apply for a TRV and try to present your ties outside of Canada as strongly as possible.