+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa and PR

santhosh043

Dec 3, 2020
Hi While visitor visa is in progress for spouse in India ,can we apply open work permit parallel or do we need to cancel existing visitor application and apply open work permit?

rp4ca

Feb 11, 2021
Hi While visitor visa is in progress for spouse in India ,can we apply open work permit parallel or do we need to cancel existing visitor application and apply open work permit?
I have the same query. I applied for my Wife's visitor Visa from India in January , but since the biometric appointment in India is not available currently we are not able to move forward with that. Has anyone been able to get Visitor Visa for their spouses/immediate family members, from India, in the last few months?

I think the next only possible option is Open Work Permit? Has anyone tried this and I have the same query as above... Should I withdraw the visitor visa application and create a new Open Work Permit application?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you are a PR your spouse doesn’t qualify for an OWP. A spouse would only qualify for an OWP if in Canada and applying for inland sponsorship and the same time.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have the same query. I applied for my Wife's visitor Visa from India in January , but since the biometric appointment in India is not available currently we are not able to move forward with that. Has anyone been able to get Visitor Visa for their spouses/immediate family members, from India, in the last few months?

I think the next only possible option is Open Work Permit? Has anyone tried this and I have the same query as above... Should I withdraw the visitor visa application and create a new Open Work Permit application?
Are you a PR? If so she doesn’t qualify for an OWP. Would add that OWP also require biometrics. Many have gone to Dubai to do their biometrics.

santhosh043

Dec 3, 2020
If you are a PR your spouse doesn’t qualify for an OWP. A spouse would only qualify for an OWP if in Canada and applying for inland sponsorship and the same time.
I am in closed work permit in canada and spouse is in India and Visitor visa application is in progress for spouse . You mean we cannot apply spousal open work permit from canada?

rp4ca

Feb 11, 2021
Are you a PR? If so she doesn’t qualify for an OWP. Would add that OWP also require biometrics. Many have gone to Dubai to do their biometrics.
I don't have my PR yet. Its in progress the CEC application was submitted in Oct, but not much progress on it. Currently I am on work permit.

Thanks for the info on Dubai , I will check if thats a possibility.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am in closed work permit in canada and spouse is in India and Visitor visa application is in progress for spouse . You mean we cannot apply spousal open work permit from canada?
If you are on a closed work permit and have a job in NOC 0, A or B you can apply for an SOWP. When does your WP expire? You still don’t solve your biometrics issue. An SOWP is a much better option than a TRV. You can apply for both at the same time if you want.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I don't have my PR yet. Its in progress the CEC application was submitted in Oct, but not much progress on it. Currently I am on work permit.

Thanks for the info on Dubai , I will check if thats a possibility.
Is your job in NOC 0, A or B and when does your WP expire?

santhosh043

Dec 3, 2020
Spouse open work permit Biometric opened in india ..Just need confirmation on ,can we process two application(visitor+spousal open work permit) parallel or do we need to withdraw visitor application and file for the SOWP ?

pat40

Jan 21, 2020
Spouse open work permit Biometric opened in india ..Just need confirmation on ,can we process two application(visitor+spousal open work permit) parallel or do we need to withdraw visitor application and file for the SOWP ?
Yes you can apply both parallel.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes Its in the NOC 0, A or B. I applied for a BOWP and it got approved till Feb 2022
So you can apply for SOWP. If you are recently married and it was an arranged marriage where you haven’t spent much time together there is a chance that it could get denied.

Reactions: rp4ca