+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

(VISITOR) to (WORK PERMIT)to (CHANGE OF EMPLOYER)

Joaquin

Sep 23, 2012
Hi,

We just received an email confirmation from Immigration that we are approved with my work permit, and they requiring us to re-enter because we are on visitor visa and to have an interview on the boarder. However, while waiting for our work permit i applied for another company, and i got hired and gave me a positive LMO and job offer. Is it possible to change our employer during my interview in the border?and disregard the approved work permit? Or we have to grab my first employer and change afterwards? I hope somebody could help with my concern. Thank you!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
You can try. Bring the new LMO and contract when you go pick up your WP at the border.

Joaquin said:
Hi,

We just received an email confirmation from Immigration that we are approved with my work permit, and they requiring us to re-enter because we are on visitor visa and to have an interview on the boarder. However, while waiting for our work permit i applied for another company, and i got hired and gave me a positive LMO and job offer. Is it possible to change our employer during my interview in the border?and disregard the approved work permit? Or we have to grab my first employer and change afterwards? I hope somebody could help with my concern. Thank you!

Joaquin

Sep 23, 2012
Hi thank you for your response, do i have to get the WP first? Or tell to the immigration officer that i want to change my employer. Whats the best thing to do? Thank you

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
You can let them know that you want to change employer and if it's possible to place the new employer's name on your WP. This is the initial employer, right?

Joaquin said:
Hi thank you for your response, do i have to get the WP first? Or tell to the immigration officer that i want to change my employer. Whats the best thing to do? Thank you

Joaquin

Sep 23, 2012
Yes it is my first job hopefully, by the way what's the guarantee they will allow me to change my employer? Please give me also an idea of the whole process when I reach the boarder. Thank you

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
From what country are you? With immigration, there are no guarantees, man :) Just stay on their good side. Anyway, you'd have to exit to the American side, inform the CBP officers you're there to pick up your WP. You'd be given an administrative refusal (?), NB forgot what's it's called. You'll be directed back to the Canadian side (hope your VR or visa is still valid). The guard (CBSA officer) will direct you inside the building. Then you'd be called to approach the counter (show them the letter you got from the consulate, and then ask if it's possible to use the LMO at hand, rather than getting the WP for the previous LMO; if it's not possible then obtain the WP for the old LMO (employer), then ask if it's possible to obtain a new WP for the new LMO (you'd have to pay again though). Nothing lost if you ask or request. The total process is less than 30 minutes.

Joaquin said:
Yes it is my first job hopefully, by the way what's the guarantee they will allow me to change my employer? Please give me also an idea of the whole process when I reach the boarder. Thank you

Joaquin

Sep 23, 2012
Im from the philippines, i have a multiple visa valid up to next year january 2013 but i already stay more than 6 months and 3 weeks to be exact here in canada. Thats legal right because i am waiting for the work permit.

barbieQ

Sep 22, 2012
hi joaquin and helpful senior members,
i'm glad i found your thread. I am apparently in the same situation. Right now, my LMO is still processing but my employer said, that cic already contacted them about my LMO application, so i'm hoping i'll get my LMO in a few days. It's my employer's first time in hiring a foreign worker, and he is very upset with the agency he contacted to help him process other foreign workers' work permit... to cut the story short, I'm on my own in processing my work permit from now on. but my employer is very supportive/positive that i can processes my work permit without any scamming agency.

after you got your positive LMO from your employer, what did you do? i am hired as a general laborer, do i still need a medical?
how do i get my work permit?

I'm from the philippines too, i have a multiple temporary canadian visa and a multiple entry US visa.... what are my options on how i can obtain my work permit?

Joaquin

Sep 23, 2012
Hi barbieq,

In our case we applied outside canada (los angeles) , the immigration requires my wife and dependent as well (medical). After you receive your positive LMO and job offer kailngan mong umikot sa border near you like us sa montana. Check mo sa cic.ca or contact your employer regarding your medical kung mg under go ka.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
You are out of status if you did not extend your visit. You should have extended your allowed visit while waiting for your visa. Has your passport with the TRV arrived?

Joaquin said:
Im from the philippines, i have a multiple visa valid up to next year january 2013 but i already stay more than 6 months and 3 weeks to be exact here in canada. Thats legal right because i am waiting for the work permit.

Cityworldcom

Feb 27, 2008
Joaquin said:
Hi barbieq,

In our case we applied outside canada (los angeles) , the immigration requires my wife and dependent as well (medical). After you receive your positive LMO and job offer kailngan mong umikot sa border near you like us sa montana. Check mo sa cic.ca or contact your employer regarding your medical kung mg under go ka.
Hi, Just want to ask kung kelan balak mo mag flagpole? Kindly update us what is the result. San ka sa Canada ngayun? Yung wife and dependent mo ang nirequire na magmedical or pati ikaw? Thanks...

Cityworldcom

Feb 27, 2008
Joaquin said:
From calgary, bka this week kmi mg exit. Yes ni require kmi lahat ng immigration.
Hi Joaquin, pwede makuha cp# mo, dyan din sa calgary sister ko and plano din nya magconvert ng visa to work permit and mag inquire sau kung pano ginawa mo. Thanks..

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Did you all arrive at the same time? You may be asked to apply for a restoration of status; be ready with the fee of $200.00 per person.

Joaquin said:
From calgary, bka this week kmi mg exit. Yes ni require kmi lahat ng immigration.

janojanken

Oct 20, 2012
Joaquin said:
Hi barbieq,

hi! Did you already get your work permit? if you wont mind, ano ang nakuha nyong work for you and your wife?
im also planning to go to canada this dec under tourist visa and will try to look for a job. Thank you.