+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor to PR, help me find holes in my plan.

ardonn1

Aug 15, 2015
X-Posted as might be better fit here:

Hello,

I am a Canadian and have been researching the best way to do a PR with my partner. I spent a lot of time reading on the immigration Canada website and have read a lot of posts here and made a general plan. I want you guys to tell me why my plan wont work (I hope I didn't miss anything though).

A little bit about me:

I am a Canadian citizen.
I am a CPA
25 Years old.
70k+ annual income
20k+ savings

A bit about my partner:

Korean Citizen, Canadian visitor expires February
29 years old
10k in savings
English skills at early high school level.
Have Medical records dated: 08/2015
Have international Drivers licence dated: 08/2015
Have Criminal Record check dated: 08/2015
Have 3 high school transcripts translated (officially translated by Korean gov and have seal)

Shared between us:
2 Credit cards
savings account
Same address
Separate bank accounts (she maintains her own chequeing account)
shared rent cost

background:

We met early Jan 2015, have overwhelming amounts of chat history, skype calls, gifts sent (both directions). then in august 2015 I visited Korea for 3 weeks. (have pictures, receipts, etc) and we decided to try and live together for the past 4 months. So far it is going great and we are both enjoying the time. however it is coming up to an extension and we will start doing the paperwork over the Christmas holidays. (extension required by Feb 15th at the latest to provide the 30 day advance). However after this application for visitor extension I get into a grey area. I would like to do a common-law application for PR as soon as it seems reasonable to do so (is this actually possible at 1 year together in Canada?) however when I spoke with an "immigration expert" (not sure if she actually was a lawyer but recommended by a lawyer) she basically didn't provide me with anything other than she was pushing me to ensure I got an expert to fill out the PR application (doesn't seem like its worth the money as I can do this application no problem with the guides here) and that I need to marry my partner. As silly as it sounds I wouldn't mind eventually marrying my partner but it seems like I am robbing my parents and hers of the experience of a wedding by doing this for immigration purposes. My goal is to push a PR and have her study here (to avoid unnecessary international tuition fees).

A few questions as I haven't really made it clear:

A) is a PR possible after 1 year of common law in Canada (assuming my proof is all good for realism of the relationship)?
B) Is this marriage and having an "expert" fill out my PR application worth the thousands of dollars?
C) any potential holes in my 6 month visitor ---> 6 month visitor ---> apply inland for PR + work permit?
D) General advice or tweaks to my plan?

Thanks so much for any help. This board has been invaluable to my learning so far. Just want to put some of that learning into place.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
ardonn1 said:
A) is a PR possible after 1 year of common law in Canada (assuming my proof is all good for realism of the relationship)?
B) Is this marriage and having an "expert" fill out my PR application worth the thousands of dollars?
C) any potential holes in my 6 month visitor ---> 6 month visitor ---> apply inland for PR + work permit?
Hi

A) Yes, you can apply for sponsorship after you become common-law.

B) Marriage is not necessary and neither is a consultant.

C) That plan is fine.

D) I seriously suggest you look at applying outland through Manila. She can be in Canada maintaining her visitor status while an outland app applies. It will be significantly faster than applying inland and she can leave Canada if she needs to without any risk to the app.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Hi

A) Yes, you can apply for sponsorship after you become common-law.

B) Marriage is not necessary and neither is a consultant.

C) That plan is fine.

D) I seriously suggest you look at applying outland through Manila. She can be in Canada maintaining her visitor status while an outland app applies. It will be significantly faster than applying inland and she can leave Canada if she needs to without any risk to the app.
What he said.....

Hasan9999

Champion Member
Sep 28, 2013
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
SVO
App. Filed.......
August 2013
LANDED..........
December, 2016
As a common law part when can he apply? Now or after spending one year together ?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hasan9999 said:
As a common law part when can he apply? Now or after spending one year together ?
They must live together continuously for at least a year before they can apply as common-law.

Buletruck said:
(Removes foot from mouth) We that's embarrassing......my apologies!
Lol, don't worry about it.

kisaki

Sep 17, 2015
Montreal
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-12-2014
AOR Received.
01-04-2015
ardonn1 said:
A few questions as I haven't really made it clear:

Thanks so much for any help. This board has been invaluable to my learning so far. Just want to put some of that learning into place.
Hello,
The flaw I can see in your plan right now is that the OWP pilot project expires on December 22nd. They probably won't renew it from what I've read.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
kisaki said:
Hello,
The flaw I can see in your plan right now is that the OWP pilot project expires on December 22nd. They probably won't renew it from what I've read.
Where did you read this? The pilot project has generally been considered a success, so it is very unlikely that CIC will discontinue it.

kisaki

Sep 17, 2015
Montreal
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-12-2014
AOR Received.
01-04-2015
Yeah, sorry, I'm only speculating. I've read something but it was not official. I hope they make an announcement to say they will extend it, it would be the right time to do so. It expires in 20 days :(

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
I agree with canuck-in. Your plan sounds fine. Once you have lived together for one year, you can sponsor her as your common-law partner. You need proof that you have lived together for one year, and proof that the relationship is genuine. Getting married is not necessary. You don't really need a lawyer or immigration consultant to do the paperwork for you, since your case sounds straightforward.

I also agree that applying outland would be better. She can stay in Canada as a visitor, living with you, while the outland application is being processed. Of course, she will have to apply to extend her stay, but that is usually given. Outland is much quicker.