+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor to Canada - Urgent Help Required !

cereberus

Aug 20, 2013
Hi guys,

Posted this in the Visitors forum, but got no responses so going to try my luck here.

I am an Indian citizen who has been in Canada for nearly 6 months now on a visit visa that is valid until the end of the year. I am taking a year off and have been visiting family, friends, travelling around the country and would like to continue to do so. I understand that I now have two choices - leave the country and come back, or extend my visa. I have a few questions in this regard that I'm hoping someone might be able to help answer.

1. If I leave the country and travel to the US, how long do I have to wait until I can return ? Is it possible to do so on the same day ?

2. How good are my chances of being granted an extension if I complete the application ? Bear in mind that I am able to adequately demonstrate proof of finances and have not been in any trouble since I've been here.

3. Do you suggest I choose one option over the other ?

Thanks in advance !

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cereberus said:
Hi guys,

Posted this in the Visitors forum, but got no responses so going to try my luck here.

I am an Indian citizen who has been in Canada for nearly 6 months now on a visit visa that is valid until the end of the year. I am taking a year off and have been visiting family, friends, travelling around the country and would like to continue to do so. I understand that I now have two choices - leave the country and come back, or extend my visa. I have a few questions in this regard that I'm hoping someone might be able to help answer.

1. If I leave the country and travel to the US, how long do I have to wait until I can return ? Is it possible to do so on the same day ?

2. How good are my chances of being granted an extension if I complete the application ? Bear in mind that I am able to adequately demonstrate proof of finances and have not been in any trouble since I've been here.

Thanks in advance !
Well, I'm certainly not an expert but I believe that if you wait until your visa is about to expire (say 30 days prior), you are under implied status while they review your extension request.

If you leave and attempt to re-enter, you may or may not be allowed to do so.

Option 1 at least guarantees that you can stay beyond the end of your current visa. How long beyond, is dependent on their decision of course.

cereberus

Aug 20, 2013
Hi,

Thanks for your response. To be clear, I've got a visa until the end of the year. Is it possible for them to deny me re-entry on a valid visa ? Additionally, if I'm afforded implied status, does it not make sense to wait until a day or two before the end of the 6 month period to apply for the extension to allow me the most time to stay in the country ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - you can certainly still be refused entry if you have a valid visa. It's up to the immigration officer you encounter if you are allowed back into Canada and for how long. A valid visa in no way guarantees reentry.

Yes - you can wait until closer to the expiry of your stay to apply for the extension. However it is critical that CIC receives your extension before your current visit expires.

todayshow

Mar 4, 2014
cereberus said:
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance !
There is a HUGE possibility that your entry could be denied when you try to come back to Canada if you were living in Canada for almost 6 months on a tourist visa especially if you are an Indian citizen. They usually consider Indian, Pakistani, Chinese, Hispanic and Philippino citizens who live in Canada for a long period time on a tourist visa as potential illegal immigrants who work illegally in Canada so there is a very big chance that your entry could be denied when you try to re-enter.