+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Status

meldriv

May 6, 2012
Hi there,
I have 2 questions:
1. I arrived in Canada 2 weeks ago. I have no documentation from Immigration when I must return. I didn't get a permit, nor a stamp on my passport. does anyone know when I must exit Canada by?

2. Also, I found an employer who wants to hire me as a caregiver...she applied for the LMO. IF she gets a positive LMO and I apply for a work permit, can i submit application in NewYork and remain in Canada until a decision has been made? if not, please clarify what I need to do.

Thank you for your help!

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Please explain more, what country are you a citizen of, and what was the purpose of you going to Canada? I find it odd not to have your passport stamped when you enter Canada if you aren't a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. However, as a visitor to Canada you are permitted to stay up to six months from the date you enter, unless a sooner date is written on your entry stamp, which you don't have. You can apply to extend your stay for another six months within Canada. If you need to show record of your entry, contact CBSA to obtain a report showing your entries.

meldriv

May 6, 2012
I am visiting Canada from the Philippines. So if there's no exit date stamp on my passport I count 6 months from the time of arrival here in Canada?

Also, i have an employer here who is willing to hire me as a caregiver (live-in). She has applied for the LMO, can I apply for a work permit within the six month period without exiting Canada?

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. yes

2. I believe you should be able to change your status without leaving. If granted, the six months rule doesn't apply anymore.