+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

visitor record

Aug 22, 2014
Hi everyone,

I received a piece of paper called "visitor record" today. I have temporary status until Jan 2015 then must leave Canada. I am a cec file number holder. Can I use this visitor record to applied a work permit in Canada or outside of Canada? This one seems different from multiple entry visa which is sticky in the passport. It just a paper.

Anyone know how it work exactly?

Thank you and Regards!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

A visitor record allows you to stay in Canada. A TRV, the sticker in the passport, is what allows you to ENTER Canada. They are completely different things.

A visitor record does not give you the right to apply for a work permit. It simply allows you to stay in Canada. If you want to apply for a work permit, you will need to find an employer willing to go through the LMIA/work permit process to hire you.

lellen

Mar 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 11 2014
AOR Received.
(SA) August 7 2014
File Transfer...
August 21 2014
Med's Done....
May 29 2014
Passport Req..
December 24 2014
VISA ISSUED...
January 2 2015
LANDED..........
17-02-2015
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't CEC allow you for a bridging open work permit? You should post about this in the Canadian Experience Class section of the forum, but if you are actually allowed to apply for a work permit, you need to do so separate from your visitor record. Both have nothing to do with each other.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
lellen said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't CEC allow you for a bridging open work permit? You should post about this in the Canadian Experience Class section of the forum, but if you are actually allowed to apply for a work permit, you need to do so separate from your visitor record. Both have nothing to do with each other.
OP no longer has a valid work permit and therefore does not qualify for a BOWP.