+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Record - How?

adcastro

Star Member
Jul 31, 2021
Hi Everyone,

I would like to ask how to request/ get a visitor record. I arrived last November 2023 as a visitor but Canada immigration did not provide a visitor record or even put a stamp on my passport.
My husband is currently in PGWP (completed graduate studies) and now working full-time in an IT company. We plan to apply for a spouse open work permit and we saw that the form IMM 5710e requires a visitor record.

Thank you

Reactions: calgary17

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi Everyone,

I would like to ask how to request/ get a visitor record. I arrived last November 2023 as a visitor but Canada immigration did not provide a visitor record or even put a stamp on my passport.
My husband is currently in PGWP (completed graduate studies) and now working full-time in an IT company. We plan to apply for a spouse open work permit and we saw that the form IMM 5710e requires a visitor record.

Thank you
So apply to extend your stay (visitor record).

adcastro

Star Member
Jul 31, 2021
So apply to extend your stay (visitor record).
Thanks for the reply, @Naturgrl

In IMM5710e, there's a portion asking "If applicable, provide the document number of the most recent Visitor Record, Study Permit, Work Permit, or Temporary Resident Permit issued to you."

Do you mean I need to apply for an extension to get a visitor record? Any idea how long would it take and can I stay here in Canada while waiting for the result?

In addition, is the Temporary Resident Permit the same as a Visitor Visa?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for the reply, @Naturgrl

In IMM5710e, there's a portion asking "If applicable, provide the document number of the most recent Visitor Record, Study Permit, Work Permit, or Temporary Resident Permit issued to you."

Do you mean I need to apply for an extension to get a visitor record? Any idea how long would it take and can I stay here in Canada while waiting for the result?

In addition, is the Temporary Resident Permit the same as a Visitor Visa?
Yes, you need to extend stay because you are a visitor and can only stay up to 6 months. Not sure how long it takes. Maybe around 60-70 days. You can check processing times. A TRP is not a visitor visa (TRV).

adcastro

Star Member
Jul 31, 2021
Any idea if I can stay here while waiting for the result of my SOWP application and do you think it is advisable if we indicate our long-term plan that we will apply for PR in my Letter of Intent (LOI)?

If I may ask, would it be better to apply first for a Spouse Open Work Permit before applying for Permanent Residence or should I do it the other way around?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Any idea if I can stay here while waiting for the result of my SOWP application and do you think it is advisable if we indicate our long-term plan that we will apply for PR in my Letter of Intent (LOI)?

If I may ask, would it be better to apply first for a Spouse Open Work Permit before applying for Permanent Residence or should I do it the other way around?
You have a TRV and have only been in the country for a few months. Apply for a visitor record. So you have received ITA to apply for PR? Apply for SOWP first.

adcastro

Star Member
Jul 31, 2021
What I mean is my husband is eligible to apply for OINP Master Stream and he can include me in that application although we are still in the process of checking all the requirements.

Thank you for your insights, I'll go with SOWP first

adcastro

Star Member
Jul 31, 2021
Hi @Naturgrl , we saw this instruction in IRCC and my wife's passport doesn't have a stamp. The 3rd paragraph in bold is somewhat confusing. Is it applicable to her? Should we put a note that her passport doesn't have a stamp?

"If there is no stamp, a handwritten date or document in your passport, your temporary resident status will expire six months from the day you arrived in Canada.

If you were given a visitor record, study or work permit, the expiry date is marked on the document.

When applying to change conditions or extend your stay in Canada, you are required to submit photocopies of passport pages clearly showing the stamp made by Canadian authorities on your most recent entry to Canada.
"

Reference: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5553-applying-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada-worker.html

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi @Naturgrl , we saw this instruction in IRCC and my wife's passport doesn't have a stamp. The 3rd paragraph in bold is somewhat confusing. Is it applicable to her? Should we put a note that her passport doesn't have a stamp?

"If there is no stamp, a handwritten date or document in your passport, your temporary resident status will expire six months from the day you arrived in Canada.

If you were given a visitor record, study or work permit, the expiry date is marked on the document.

When applying to change conditions or extend your stay in Canada, you are required to submit photocopies of passport pages clearly showing the stamp made by Canadian authorities on your most recent entry to Canada.
"

Reference: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5553-applying-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada-worker.html
So she has 6 months stay.

adcastro

Star Member
Jul 31, 2021
So this does not apply to her case, right?

"You are required to submit photocopies of passport pages clearly showing the stamp made by Canadian authorities on your most recent entry to Canada."

adcastro

Star Member
Jul 31, 2021
What will she use as proof of entry to show that her stay is still in the allowable period (6 months)?

calgary17

Mar 11, 2017
London, ON
My brother’s daughter has a visitor record until May. My brother is on work permit, can his daughter’s visitor record be extended, he was saying that he can get a counterfoil sticker on her passport which is upto validity of passport, but i don’t know what is that? Does any one know about it?