+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor not going back

indian5911

Star Member
Nov 4, 2014
hi All,
I invited my cousin to visit in Canada. Before coming to canada he was nice. But now he is completely changed person. He doesn’t want to return back its almost 5 months of his first visit. He is talking to lawyer to get LMIA and work permit. He didn’t disclosed his intentions in the beginning.

My question is that what should i do. I dont want to be blacklisted by immigrantion in future to sponsor my parents and grandparents.

Please help i am very worried

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment but just because you invited somebody to visit does not as far as I am aware make you in any way responsible for them or anything they do in the country. Hopefully you are not providing accommodation or financial assistance if so probably a good time to break off any support.

Anything your cousin does as far as LMIA or work permit or overstaying would be their responsibility.

Above my view anyway

Reactions: zardoz

Sam421

Jul 25, 2019
Technically your cousin is not doing anything illegal, he can stay in Canada if he wants via legal means. Getting a LMIA and work permit is legal.

Although it is not a recommended route, but your cousin is well within his rights.

I know people who extended their visit visa twice after 6 months stay. Later they successfully got study permit/Work permit as they did not broke any law such as working on cash while being a visitor. Visa officer was satisfied.

Only thing which is clearly a red flag is filing asylum. Refugee claim can cause trouble for fellow countrymen, even blacklist a sponsor.

But in your cousin's case, I would say support him!

Sam421

Jul 25, 2019
As it's almost 5 months, it is recommended to file for extension NOW. He will get approval or rejection in 5 weeks. Upon approval he will get a document called Visitor Record valid for 6 months. As lmia/work permit could take time, it's better to buy some time.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You are free to call CBSA and idicate that you no longer support his stay as a visitor since you were unaware that he was planning on staying longterm if that will make you feel better.

Reactions: kprs_ind