+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor in Canada looking to stay longer

USABRANDON

Aug 15, 2018
hey guys,

I am an American currently visiting my girlfriend in Canada (arrived by car). I lived and worked up here for 4 years and loved it but had to leave after my work permit expired and I have visited a few times since. I had a job offer but the border agent decided that I needed an lmia when I tried to get a permit through an exemption so I’m currently waiting on my prospective employer to do those documents. The border agent was nice and allowed me to voluntarily withdraw the application, return to the USA and then come back into Canada as a visitor. Anyways, when I did I was only going to stay for 2 weeks but some things have changed and I can visit for a longer period. I’ve read that if the border agent doesn’t stamp your passport and write a date on there that you must leave by then you can stay for 6 months. Is this still the case or will I need to go out and then try to come back in (as someone who was turned back from getting a work permit that they would have thought I was a risk to stay illegally) I just want to make sure I’m good or have time to do something else. I’m in process of preparing to apply for Pr so I don’t want to make any mistake

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
hey guys,

I am an American currently visiting my girlfriend in Canada (arrived by car). I lived and worked up here for 4 years and loved it but had to leave after my work permit expired and I have visited a few times since. I had a job offer but the border agent decided that I needed an lmia when I tried to get a permit through an exemption so I’m currently waiting on my prospective employer to do those documents. The border agent was nice and allowed me to voluntarily withdraw the application, return to the USA and then come back into Canada as a visitor. Anyways, when I did I was only going to stay for 2 weeks but some things have changed and I can visit for a longer period. I’ve read that if the border agent doesn’t stamp your passport and write a date on there that you must leave by then you can stay for 6 months. Is this still the case or will I need to go out and then try to come back in (as someone who was turned back from getting a work permit that they would have thought I was a risk to stay illegally) I just want to make sure I’m good or have time to do something else. I’m in process of preparing to apply for Pr so I don’t want to make any mistake
Hi

No stamp = 6 months.