+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor health insurance

TCMalster

Jan 20, 2023
Hi people,
I came into Canada in early December but didn’t get a stamp on entry at the Calgary airport. I have applied online for CBSA travel history to show the registry to get Alberta health as a dependant on my wifes Alberta health.
For now I have had 3 month emergency cover from my old medical insurance company in South Africa but they are unable to give me more than 3 months out of country cover.
So from early March I will not be covered as I assume I will not have Alberta health care by then.
I am therefore looking to get visitors health insurance to cover me until I can get Alberta health.
Does anyone have any good recommendations? It will just be coverage for myself and I would only need emergency cover.
Any recommendations would be appreciated

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi people,
I came into Canada in early December but didn’t get a stamp on entry at the Calgary airport. I have applied online for CBSA travel history to show the registry to get Alberta health as a dependant on my wifes Alberta health.
For now I have had 3 month emergency cover from my old medical insurance company in South Africa but they are unable to give me more than 3 months out of country cover.
So from early March I will not be covered as I assume I will not have Alberta health care by then.
I am therefore looking to get visitors health insurance to cover me until I can get Alberta health.
Does anyone have any good recommendations? It will just be coverage for myself and I would only need emergency cover.
Any recommendations would be appreciated
Most plans require that you purchase before coming into Canada but you can look at the large Canadian insurers to see what policies they offer. Are you sure you can’t get Alberta healthcare without a visitor record?

TCMalster

Jan 20, 2023
Most plans require that you purchase before coming into Canada but you can look at the large Canadian insurers to see what policies they offer. Are you sure you can’t get Alberta healthcare without a visitor record?
When I went to registry yesterday she told me I needed some kind of immigration document. I had my flight ticket and proof of submission of residency application but she said those were not good enough to meet the requirements. I think once the travel history report comes in from CBSA, that should work but just need to keep waiting for that.

Reactions: canuck78

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When I went to registry yesterday she told me I needed some kind of immigration document. I had my flight ticket and proof of submission of residency application but she said those were not good enough to meet the requirements. I think once the travel history report comes in from CBSA, that should work but just need to keep waiting for that.
https://www.alberta.ca/ahcip-temporary-residents.aspx#jumplinks-1

Eligible residents

You are eligible for Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) coverage if you are
  • legally entitled to be in and remain in Canada and make your permanent home in Alberta
  • committed to being physically present in Alberta for at least 183 days in any 12-month period
  • not claiming residency or obtaining benefits under a claim of residency in another province, territory or country

Dependants include:
  • married spouses – must register together
Residents from another country

If you are from outside Canada, to be eligible for Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) coverage, you mu
  • establish residency in Alberta
  • intend to live in Alberta for 12 consecutive months
  • have the appropriate Canada entry documents issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) or the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)

Acceptable Canada entry documents include:

• active work permit (minimum 6 months)
  • study permit or visitor record for Alberta
  • designation as a Convention Refugee with accompanying documentation

Not all IRCC or CBSA permits qualify the permit holder for health care insurance coverage in Alberta.
---

Good luck!

May 2, 2023
My wife got visitor visa and pregnant for 5 months . She will be travelling in November 2023
Can I get Alberta health insurance for my wife and claim all the costs for pregnancy till birth
We have also applied for spousal sponsorship from India and it’s still in process
Please let me know if it is safe to travel and cover the costs from Alberta

my email : mmudassira8@gmail.com

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My wife got visitor visa and pregnant for 5 months . She will be travelling in November 2023
Can I get Alberta health insurance for my wife and claim all the costs for pregnancy till birth
We have also applied for spousal sponsorship from India and it’s still in process

You might want to delay the travelling, otherwise the baby might not be able to return to India.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

What is your status? Will your wife and child be remaining in Alberta for the year. So the baby would need to be in Alberta for a year from the birth. A short vacation of a few weeks will likely be overlooked.