+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor extension refused, will I get deported?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@scylla what is the likelihood of our restorations being granted when we state in the letter that we will apply for common law? This could either go really well or horribly wrong.
Normally it would play in your favour but it really depends on so many other things including how long you've been in Canada, how many extensions you've already applied for, demonstrating you have sufficient funds to pay for your continued stay, how you ended up out of status. etc.

Reactions: kmychan

kmychan

Jun 20, 2020
Normally it would play in your favour but it really depends on so many other things including how long you've been in Canada, how many extensions you've already applied for, demonstrating you have sufficient funds to pay for your continued stay, how you ended up out of status. etc.
Thank you!! Also, when we look at the refusal letter of the extension do we go by the date on the letter or when we applied? We applied in February and got the response on June 5th.

Joeydocs

Sep 5, 2017
Pickering
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
I received this today:

is letter refers to your application for a visitor record.
Based on your application and accompanying documentation that you have provided, I have carefully considered all information and I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations. Your application as requested is therefore refused.
Persons wishing to extend temporary resident status in Canada must satisfy an officer that they will leave Canada by the end of the period authorized for their stay, that they will not contravene the conditions of entry and that they do not belong in a category of persons inadmissible to Canada under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

In reaching a decision, an officer considers several factors, which include the applicant’s:

1. Reason for original entry and reason for requested extension;
2. Ties to country of permanent residence, including:
- employment and study commitments;
- family ties and responsibilities;
- status (citizenship or immigration status);
3. Financial means for the extended stay and return home;
4. Travel and identity documents;
5. Probability to leave Canada at the end of authorized stay.

After considering all the circumstances of your case, I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of the Act and Regulations.
You must leave Canada on or before the expiry of your current document or, if your document has already expired you must leave Canada immediately. Failure to do so could result in enforcement action being taken against you.

I’m about to apply for PR but probably have to wait till November since I will have all the documents to demonstrate that I’ve been living as a common-law with my partner for at least 1 year (ita a joint bank account we opened on November 2019).

what should I do? Will I get deported? Should I wait until November to apply for PR or apply right now?
My partner and I have been living together since January 2018 but don’t have much documents that can prove that we’ve been living together, that’s why I applies for a visitor extension, so I could have more time to gather documents.

I’m so scared, will they come for me?
When did you apply for the visitors extension?

kmychan

Jun 20, 2020
@Joeydocs can you help me, I have a question: Also, when we look at the refusal letter of the extension do we go by the date on the letter or when we applied? We applied in February and got the response on June 5th.

Joeydocs

Sep 5, 2017
Pickering
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
@Joeydocs can you help me, I have a question: Also, when we look at the refusal letter of the extension do we go by the date on the letter or when we applied? We applied in February and got the response on June 5th.
You have 90 days to apply for restoration from the time your application was refused

Joeydocs

Sep 5, 2017
Pickering
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Thank you
ive been seeing a lot of refusals. I applied for a visitors extension on April 18th and submitted the sponsorship app on June 8th. Really hoping they don't refuse the visitor extension as it would complicate things severely.

AlexZ92

Star Member
Jan 23, 2019
I’m going to apply for restoration soon, how much time should I ask since I’ll have to wait until November to submit my PR application? I was thinking 6 months from now, is that a reasonable amount of time?

if restoration is refused, how much time does someone have before they issue a removal order?

Let’s say they issue a removal order in October and I submit my PR application in November, would I still be at risk of deportation even though there is an application in process?

Lolopizzo

Feb 1, 2020
ive been seeing a lot of refusals. I applied for a visitors extension on April 18th and submitted the sponsorship app on June 8th. Really hoping they don't refuse the visitor extension as it would complicate things severely.
We applied for my husbands extension on February 8th. It was approved June 23rd and is good until December 31st 2020.

Its the first time he has applied for an extension though and we included marriage certificate and joint bank account with savings, and that I work two jobs to support him while here etc and that we were submitting a sponsorship package in the near future, which we did on March 9th. The people who seem to be getting refused have applied for multiple extensions it looks like.

He’s also from a visa exempt country. I don’t know if that gives us more leverage then someone who is from a visa required country.

kmychan

Jun 20, 2020
We applied for my husbands extension on February 8th. It was approved June 23rd and is good until December 31st 2020.

Its the first time he has applied for an extension though and we included marriage certificate and joint bank account with savings, and that I work two jobs to support him while here etc and that we were submitting a sponsorship package in the near future, which we did on March 9th. The people who seem to be getting refused have applied for multiple extensions it looks like.

He’s also from a visa exempt country. I don’t know if that gives us more leverage then someone who is from a visa required country.
Hi,

Thank you for your information. It’s great that you’ve provided the additional documentation for your partner. I believe you are right about him being from a visa exempt country.

However, it was my partner’s first time applying for an visitor extension and it was denied. He is not from a visa exempt country and he couldn’t go back even if he tried (due to Covid there are no flights to his home country).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Thank you for your information. It’s great that you’ve provided the additional documentation for your partner. I believe you are right about him being from a visa exempt country.

However, it was my partner’s first time applying for an visitor extension and it was denied. He is not from a visa exempt country and he couldn’t go back even if he tried (due to Covid there are no flights to his home country).
Assume it is likely because he is not a true visitor and you haven’t filed your new sponsorship application and it was refused quite a long time ago.

kmychan

Jun 20, 2020
Assume it is likely because he is not a true visitor and you haven’t filed your new sponsorship application and it was refused quite a long time ago.
But it is interesting that many people want to apply for common law and come as visitor yet they get their extension. I explained in my letter to the officer that my partner cannot go home that’s number one and number two we are applying for common law.

I can apply outland as well since my partner and I have been together for 5 years but we were overseas when I met him and we have lived together for 3 years together outside of Canada. Plans change all the time and this pandemic has made it difficult to get the proper documentation/ go home for foreign nationals. Immigration officers should understand that as flights to some countries are ‘for sale‘ but in reality due to border closures for international layovers/flights aren’t being serviced from _____ to ____ we’d think that consideration would be given to those affected.

Last edited:

AlexZ92

Star Member
Jan 23, 2019
But it is interesting that many people want to apply for common law and come as visitor yet they get their extension. I explained in my letter to the officer that my partner cannot go home that’s number one and number two we are applying for common law.

I can apply outland as well since my partner and I have been together for 5 years but we were overseas when I met him and we have lived together for 3 years together outside of Canada. Plans change all the time and this pandemic has made it difficult to get the proper documentation/ go home for foreign nationals. Immigration officers should understand that as flights to some countries are ‘for sale‘ but in reality due to border closures for international layovers/flights aren’t being serviced from _____ to ____ we’d think that consideration would be given to those affected.
It’s very strange that they didn’t even grant 1 extension, I got 4 extensions before my refusal.

I’ve come up with a plan for my case

I will wait 60 days to apply for restoration of status (we get 90), if approved everything goes as planned. However, the processing time is 4 months (possibly more now due to COVID), so I will have time to submit my P.R. application in November. I will probably apply Outland and attend the interview in my homeland if they require one.
This will buy just enough time to submit the application.
It’s not advisable to do that but this is the only way. If I leave Canada before November I won’t be able to prove my common-law relationship, which is a big problem for me.

Krystajo

Aug 18, 2017
I was just looking through your other posts you had asked about and i just wanted to add that as soon as you do get an AOR for your husband he will have implied status while his PR is processing(ive been told i didnt need to renew my Visitor record because my PR app says it has been recieved.) I would really encourage you to call and speak to someone at IRCC and see if they can prioritize the application just until its at least says it has been recieved. I know when i called last they directed me to apply for assistance through a webform.

bian07

May 19, 2017
I was just looking through your other posts you had asked about and i just wanted to add that as soon as you do get an AOR for your husband he will have implied status while his PR is processing(ive been told i didnt need to renew my Visitor record because my PR app says it has been recieved.) I would really encourage you to call and speak to someone at IRCC and see if they can prioritize the application just until its at least says it has been recieved. I know when i called last they directed me to apply for assistance through a webform.
That is not true. A pr application does not grant any status whatsoever, but if you apply inland with a work permit you get status from that. The implied status would also begin the day they receive the application, not when they send the AOR.